J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 am Jeopardy! story in the Seattle Times today: https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -the-show/
People who are not current on J! games are being set up for a spoiler and they're not the only ones.

Uh, thanks for sharing?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 am Jeopardy! story in the Seattle Times today: https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -the-show/
People who are not current on J! games are being set up for a spoiler and they're not the only ones.

Uh, thanks for sharing?
You're right. I didn't even think about that. I'll add a warning to my original post.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Perhaps the rain is the reason Washingtonians are also pretty good at the game: more than 25% of homegrown contestants win at least one game.
Does not compute......
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:21 am
Perhaps the rain is the reason Washingtonians are also pretty good at the game: more than 25% of homegrown contestants win at least one game.
Does not compute......
Hey, at least it's not less than 25%...
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Holy cow. I guess all the real problems in the world have been solved if 450 “smart” people organized themselves to write a manifesto about an incidental hand gesture.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A familiar name in today's LA Times crossword puzzle (28 down).
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

alietr wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:29 am A familiar name in today's LA Times crossword puzzle (28 down).
Everyone here should get that instantly. For a Saturday puzzle, it was awfully easy.
Speaking of crosswords, many Jeopardy alumni distinguished themselves at the ACPT last weekend. Erik Agard made it to the finals, Joon Pahk tied for sixth, and Jason Keller finished third in NJ.
Hoping for a third lap
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am

Uh, thanks for sharing?
I can't figure out what this means. You're saying there were additional spoilers besides Jeopardy! ones? I can't find the Sixth Sense or Darth Vader referenced in the article...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

GaryG wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:21 pm
Holy cow. I guess all the real problems in the world have been solved if 450 “smart” people organized themselves to write a manifesto about an incidental hand gesture. I’ve got a hand gesture for you guys. No, it doesn’t mean “you’re number one!”
Every time anyone anywhere calls out white nationalism or other wide varieties of scumbag, guess who appears? It's almost like these dog whistles are effective after all...
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

"The 'Jeopardy!' Showrunner on the Search for a New Host" (audio)
After longtime "Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek died last November, the show has been running a public search for a replacement, with guest hosts like Aaron Rodgers and LeVar Burton. We talk with the show's executive producer, Mike Richards, about how the search is going.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Richards would be surprised if the new permanent host were not one of the guest hosts:

https://outsider.com/news/entertainment ... n-support/

(I think this is just a re-reporting of the audio story Mario500 linked to above)

I just listened to the WSJ show and this is what I got out of it (just my impressions):

1. Mike Richards does not have the final word on who the next host will be. That will be higher-up Sony Entertainment executives ("the heads of Sony"). Based on that alone, I think Ken Jennings is out, unless they base their decision on ratings alone. The suits are more likely going to want to go with a polished, established TV personality, more along the lines of Cooper or Bialik.
2. Mike Richards doesn't think the host should represent "knowledge" so much as "credibility", whether the audience can give credence to the host's on-the-spot rulings.
3. Mike Richards is dismissive, rightly or wrongly, of social media fan campaigns like the one that amplified LeVar Burton's desire to be a guest host. He thinks they're vocal minorities who aren't representative of the viewership as a whole that the ad buyers pay for. LeVar's principal appeal is Reading Rainbow nostalgia.
4. Mike Richards likes Aaron Rodgers, more than LeVar Burton, and more than any of the other guest hosts, but would want Rodgers to quit football to take on the job.
5. Mike Richards is mindful of the need to expand the viewing audience to take the show into the future.

Other notes:
A lot of people were interested, but some interested parties bowed out for fear of doing poorly.
Test is extensive in its size and scope. Includes focus groups and monitoring of social media. Using real analytics, and not just "hey, how about this guy".
Alex was a producer, host, brought class and charisma, a relatability to the audience. He read the clues, ran the show, dictated the pace. Work ethic led show by example.
Host has to deliver all of the content, call on every contestant, make ruling on every clue, get you to break, speed up when you're slow, be both the play-by-play person and the color commentator, and read 61 clues in 22 minutes (actually less).
Mike Richards' job description for the host includes credibility, vocal tone, visual aesthetic.
No replacement host will have all the necessary attributes day 1.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

According to the "New and Popular" section of Netflix, the new episodes, which include Matt Jackson and Pranjal Vachaspati's runs are now going to be on Netflix starting on May 29, rather than tomorrow, May 10. This means that at five months and ten days (December 18, 2020-May 28, 2021), the current collections will have been the collections that have been on Netflix the longest.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks. The last sentence of this interview confirms that the choice will be finalized before the final guest host(s) episodes air and before ratings for these individuals are known. Make of that what you will vis-à-vis LeVar Burton.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm
Thanks. The last sentence of this interview confirms that the choice will be finalized before the final guest host(s) episodes air and before ratings for these individuals are known. Make of that what you will vis-à-vis LeVar Burton.
I haven’t checked, but didn’t they finish taping for the current season, and taping for the next season would begin before the end of this season?

Basically, wouldn’t that have to be the timeline anyway?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:03 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 pm
I haven’t checked, but didn’t they finish taping for the current season, and taping for the next season would begin before the end of this season?

Basically, wouldn’t that have to be the timeline anyway?
S37 has wrapped. Richards says that taping will begin in July or August, so it may resume before or after S37 has finished airing on August 13. Probably before, is my guess.
davey

Post by davey »

Laurie Metcalf is a great American actress, but the J!-Aaron Rodgers appearance on The Conners tonight was dismal... :evil: