J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Volante »

Jalopnik picked up on Austin's Grand Tour
https://jalopnik.com/jeopardy-finalist- ... 1820420501
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 am Jalopnik picked up on Austin's Grand Tour
As a car guy, I can attest/confirm that there is serious homework evident behind this choice. It was a popular car, and pieces would be plentiful around the world, and hey, it's a Mercedes wagon.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 am Jalopnik picked up on Austin's Grand Tour
Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to be an American driving through Mexico and Central America as far as the Darien Gap. But I guess some people are more adventurous than me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 am
Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to be an American driving through Mexico and Central America as far as the Darien Gap. But I guess some people are more adventurous than me.
Jalopnik followup on logistics
https://jalopnik.com/mapping-the-jeopar ... 1820444383

Also, one very glorious gif.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 am
Jalopnik followup on logistics
https://jalopnik.com/mapping-the-jeopar ... 1820444383

Also, one very glorious gif.
I had just watched this video a few days before, which is why I was so eager to call “shotgun!” on Austin’s trip
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Facebook video* shows just how much editing goes into the show. I appreciated seeing these outtakes from the semis (and I wouldn't have been able to see them else ways as they have to fit the actual game play into 22 minutes).

*Video seems to be only available on Facebook for now. I assume that they'll have it up on YouTube soon too, but I wanted to share it while it was still in my head. (I don't *think* you need a Facebook account to view the video, but I don't know.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm This Facebook video* shows just how much editing goes into the show. I appreciated seeing these outtakes from the semis (and I wouldn't have been able to see them else ways as they have to fit the actual game play into 22 minutes).

*Video seems to be only available on Facebook for now. I assume that they'll have it up on YouTube soon too, but I wanted to share it while it was still in my head. (I don't *think* you need a Facebook account to view the video, but I don't know.)
That's super interesting. Both the Buzzy and Alan moments in particular that got cut open up a neat little window in how much latitude/levity you're able to display when you're up there.
davey

Post by davey »

Jeopardy! made it onto a NYTimes TV critic's list of the best "episodes" of 2017

‘Jeopardy!’
Best episode: Season 34, Episode 16

Watching Austin Rogers dominate on “Jeopardy!” for 12 games was a dorky joy. During this game in particular, he absolutely smoked, winning $65,000 — including a baller $15,700 Daily Double wager. (What is glockenspiel?)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/watc ... id=1542054
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I saw this on The Jeopardy! Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2018/01/2018 ... poned.html

I'm thinking positive thoughts that whatever is going on is 0-1 on the shock scale and not 9-10. Alex, the show, and the contestants have made mainstream entertainment news more than once this season. It's easy to let my imagination run wild about an overreaction to one of the previous items.

Does everyone see the same misleading thumbnail of AR under the NEWS tab when doing a Google search of: jeopardy college
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

This is hardly going to overshadow today's big news but it should be shared.

Chicago Public Radio tonight aired an interview with Robert Siegel, outgoing co-host of All Things Considered, and he was asked about being a category in Jeopardy! (Dec. 12 show). This is the best I can recall his response:

"I consider that my canonization. My only regret is that my mother and father weren't here to see it."
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 pm I saw this on The Jeopardy! Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2018/01/2018 ... poned.html

I'm thinking positive thoughts that whatever is going on is 0-1 on the shock scale and not 9-10. Alex, the show, and the contestants have made mainstream entertainment news more than once this season. It's easy to let my imagination run wild about an overreaction to one of the previous items.

Does everyone see the same misleading thumbnail of AR under the NEWS tab when doing a Google search of: jeopardy college
CNN.com has an article about AT having had surgery for blood clots in the brain - pretty damned significant at first glance, though it sounds as if the outcome is just fine.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/05/health/al ... index.html
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

When I met Alex in Toronto on November 14th he seemed fine. I was surprized to learn that he had the fall before that date.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

I wonder how the schedule will work out? On Reddit, the College contestants were told their tapings would be delayed to March.

But the thing that burns the hell out of me, is people not understanding that Jeopardy IS NOT LIVE. WDTN reported the shows being in reruns, which is totally bogus. They have what, a month or two of shows "in the can"? Yeah, there's probably going to be repeats during sweeps, but I don't see it happening for quite awhile.

And Alex seems to be just fine per his video on the J Facebook page. I could not believe that he had brain surgery. Wouldn't have guessed it at all. He's one helluva trooper!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hdayejr wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 pm I wonder how the schedule will work out? On Reddit, the College contestants were told their tapings would be delayed to March.

But the thing that burns the hell out of me, is people not understanding that Jeopardy IS NOT LIVE. WDTN reported the shows being in reruns, which is totally bogus. They have what, a month or two of shows "in the can"? Yeah, there's probably going to be repeats during sweeps, but I don't see it happening for quite awhile.

And Alex seems to be just fine per his video on the J Facebook page. I could not believe that he had brain surgery. Wouldn't have guessed it at all. He's one helluva trooper!
The link to The Jeopardy Fan Mark posted above gives the date shows are taped through. Yes, they are good to go for a while. I'd imagine they don't do any taping the later part of December or early January, so the surgery hasn't caused any delays yet.

They only air repeats for six weeks at the end of the season. This season is scheduled to end on July 27 and the next season will begin on September 10.

He did look good in the video. He was wearing a hat, but other than that you couldn't tell he had brain surgery. But he probably still needs some time to recover before he can get back to the grind of taping five shows in a day plus his other duties.

I do hope he doesn't have any lasting effects from this, though I wonder if this will make him start considering his (as of yet unplanned) retirement date.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 pm
hdayejr wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 pm I wonder how the schedule will work out? On Reddit, the College contestants were told their tapings would be delayed to March.

The link to The Jeopardy Fan Mark posted above gives the date shows are taped through. Yes, they are good to go for a while. I'd imagine they don't do any taping the later part of December or early January, so the surgery hasn't caused any delays yet.

They only air repeats for six weeks at the end of the season. This season is scheduled to end on July 27 and the next season will begin on September 10.

He did look good in the video. He was wearing a hat, but other than that you couldn't tell he had brain surgery. But he probably still needs some time to recover before he can get back to the grind of taping five shows in a day plus his other duties.

I do hope he doesn't have any lasting effects from this, though I wonder if this will make him start considering his (as of yet unplanned) retirement date.
On FB I saw a post about someone (will go on the list with Chub Feeney for having prior fame and being a player on the regular show) appearing on March 27th.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 pm On FB I saw a post about someone (will go on the list with Chub Feeney for having prior fame and being a player on the regular show) appearing on March 27th.
That could very well become March 13; March 27 would have been an airdate with the College tournament in its original spot.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Here's a Jimmy Kimmel Sketch related to the Gangsta' ruling:

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Nick's Gangsta/Gangster moment was a jumping off-point for a discussion of different spellings of the N-word.

My daughter has been assigned the YA novel Avalon High by Meg Cabot for her college class in Arthurian stories. The book contains this passage:
My parents aren't like other parents. For one thing, other people's parents actually leave the house to go to work. Some of them are gone for as many as forty-five hours a week, I've heard.

Not mine. Mine are home all the time. They never leave! They're always in their at-home offices, writing or reading, Practically the only time they come out of their offices is to watch Jeopardy! and then they yell out the answers at each other.

No one else's parents know all the answers to Jeopardy! or yell them out if they do. I know, I've been to Nancy's house and seen the evidence for myself. Her parents watch Entertainment Tonight after dinner, like normal people.

I don't know any of the answers on Jeopardy! That's why I sort of hate that show.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

silverscreentest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm Nick's Gangsta/Gangster moment was a jumping off-point for a discussion of different spellings of the N-word.

My daughter has been assigned the YA novel Avalon High by Meg Cabot for her college class in Arthurian stories. The book contains this passage:
My parents aren't like other parents. For one thing, other people's parents actually leave the house to go to work. Some of them are gone for as many as forty-five hours a week, I've heard.

Not mine. Mine are home all the time. They never leave! They're always in their at-home offices, writing or reading, Practically the only time they come out of their offices is to watch Jeopardy! and then they yell out the answers at each other.

No one else's parents know all the answers to Jeopardy! or yell them out if they do. I know, I've been to Nancy's house and seen the evidence for myself. Her parents watch Entertainment Tonight after dinner, like normal people.

I don't know any of the answers on Jeopardy! That's why I sort of hate that show.
A passage like that would immediately take me out of the story. Even an American high-schooler with no interest in trivia would know at least a few "answers" to the show. And one can't claim "any" is an exaggeration, since it's italicized. Thus, this makes it clear that the "narrator" is a fake, which then makes one realize Meg Cabot doesn't know what she is writing about.

Also, that this afterthought YA trash (Cabot mass-produces her books/series) is required reading in a college class is sad.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

In today's Sunday newspapers:

http://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.