J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Robert K S » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Johnny Mandel would have something to say about that.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6807
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: J! in the Media

Post by alietr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 am

From Tom Hanks' acceptance speech at the Golden Globes last night:

“I have a cold the size of Merv Griffin’s ‘Jeopardy!’ royalties, so forgive me."

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6807
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: J! in the Media

Post by alietr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Article on the Archive (bless all of them):

The chroniclers of Jeopardy!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9306
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm

There is a podcast called “It was a Thing on TV”. It is three guys reviewing really bad short lived TV shows from the 1970s and 1980s. They seem to base their reviews off YouTube and Wikipedia articles.

To give you an idea of what it is about, here are some shows they have reviewed:

Hello, Larry
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Supertrain
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour

This week, they did the Super Jeopardy and Monopoly pairing.

Most of their snark was directed towards Monopoly. I never saw it, but it sounds like a hot mess.

They seemed to like SJ and J in general. One of the hosts said he has been on the show and has mentioned it before. His name is Chico Alexander, but I couldn’t find him in the archive, so that may be a fake name as he sounded too young to have been on in the less fully archived seasons.

They gave a good rundown of the format and listed all the players who participated. (They did seem to think the four player deal was strange).

Then one of the other hosts mentioned playing Michael Rankins in a mock Jeopardy game at a trivia convention. The guy calling himself Chico said he once met Burns Cameron at one. Jeff Richmond also got a shoutout when one said he pops up as a friend suggestion on Facebook.

Anyway, it was a fairly interesting listen if you are into that sort of thing. They also plugged the GOAT tournament as a lead-in to the SJ discussion.

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: J! in the Media

Post by goongas » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm
There is a podcast called “It was a Thing on TV”. It is three guys reviewing really bad short lived TV shows from the 1970s and 1980s. They seem to base their reviews off YouTube and Wikipedia articles.

To give you an idea of what it is about, here are some shows they have reviewed:

Hello, Larry
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Supertrain
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour

This week, they did the Super Jeopardy and Monopoly pairing.

Most of their snark was directed towards Monopoly. I never saw it, but it sounds like a hot mess.

They seemed to like SJ and J in general. One of the hosts said he has been on the show and has mentioned it before. His name is Chico Alexander, but I couldn’t find him in the archive, so that may be a fake name as he sounded too young to have been on in the less fully archived seasons.

They gave a good rundown of the format and listed all the players who participated. (They did seem to think the four player deal was strange).

Then one of the other hosts mentioned playing Michael Rankins in a mock Jeopardy game at a trivia convention. The guy calling himself Chico said he once met Burns Cameron at one. Jeff Richmond also got a shoutout when one said he pops up as a friend suggestion on Facebook.

Anyway, it was a fairly interesting listen if you are into that sort of thing. They also plugged the GOAT tournament as a lead-in to the SJ discussion.
Chico is Dino Alexander, he was on in 2018. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... +alexander He is a big game show fan.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by talkingaway » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:12 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm

They gave a good rundown of the format and listed all the players who participated. (They did seem to think the four player deal was strange).
The most jarring thing about SJ! is that fourth lectern. Where did it come from? Did someone accidentally order too many lecterns in 1984, so they just kept it in a warehouse for 7 years until SJ! emerged?

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Jeff-thecdboy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm

^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm
^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.
We know why they needed it; talkingaway was asking why they had it in the first place.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:37 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:29 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm
^I heard it was because Merv Griffin wanted Bob Blake and Frank Spangenberg in the tournament at the last minute (after the original invitations had already been sent out), but I could be wrong.
We know why they needed it; talkingaway was asking why they had it in the first place.
Michael Rankins, Jeff Richmond, and Leah Greenwald are three Super J! contestants with JBoard postings (Tom Cubbage briefly as well) who perhaps know something about the 4th piece's origin itself besides the reason for its necessity as already mentioned.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9306
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:44 pm

On the podcast, one of them speculated they had one in reserve in case one malfunctioned. (Although that comment may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek).

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm

I figure that they still had the specs, and they simply built another.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by talkingaway » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm

ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.) If there are absolute J! spoiler-free purists, I'll put the spoiler here, but really, the category is the unsurprising and broad...
Spoiler
Show
DAVID MUIR COVERS THE WORLD. Hello, corporate synergy! I'll wager two more categories: GOOD MORNING, followed by AMERICA. Perhaps MATCH GAME (sports), PYRAMID (Egypt), CARD SHARKS (Old West)? Please, no BACHELOR category. Vague enough that, in the words of someone here, it could literally be anything - geography, news, politics, history, even science or medicine.

And if "ibex" isn't a correct response to a clue somewhere in the GOAT tourney, I'm walking.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:53 pm

James was on with Kelly & Ryan this morning. I could not find the complete segment on YT, but the Live site has two clips that make up the bulk of the interview: https://kellyandryan.com/

Look on the side of the main page for video options.

James wants to be a villain on a game show and keep people from winning. Trying to read between the lines or reading the tea leaves for the GOAT has been interesting with the guys doing press today.

James did mention winning nothing on 500 Questions.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by boson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:11 pm

alietr wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm
Article on the Archive (bless all of them):

The chroniclers of Jeopardy!
Wow, that was a lovely article: well written and without the snideness that articles about those deep into any fandom expect.

Congrats to the archivists, and thanks for your ongoing efforts!

Though, as someone on this and the preceeding board for over a decade, using the archive the whole time, a comment in the article confuses me: I know the interviews are all transcribed (the automatic posts here copy them), but where are they on the archive? I've never seen them there.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: J! in the Media

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm
And if "ibex" isn't a correct response to a clue somewhere in the GOAT tourney, I'm walking.
Or Tahr. How about ANAGRAMS $2000: A desert in India, and a goat-like animal. (What is Thar/Tahr?)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.9k games
Alpaca Farm: 1369 quizzes

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Robert K S » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:36 am

GMA is doing a feature on the GOAT tournament Tuesday morning, along with an interview with Pat Sajak.

Who was that turning the letters on Wheel tonight? Pat's daughter?

QuizGeek75
Valued Contributor
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Denver

Re: J! in the Media

Post by QuizGeek75 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:39 am

Yes, it was Maggie Sajak, Pat's daughter. This will be interesting to see coverage of both Trebek's and Sajak and White's shows.
Just a person who loves game shows.

User avatar
Mario500
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Mario500 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm
ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.)
Why "Super-Duper Jeopardy"?

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by talkingaway » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Mario500 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am
talkingaway wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm
ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.)
Why "Super-Duper Jeopardy"?
Because it's the sequel series to 1990's Super Jeopardy!, naturally.

User avatar
Mario500
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Mario500 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:24 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm
Mario500 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am
talkingaway wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm
ABC World News Tonight revealed one of the categories for Super-Duper Jeopardy!. (Yes, that's what I'm calling it.)
Why "Super-Duper Jeopardy"?
Because it's the sequel series to 1990's Super Jeopardy!, naturally.
I would rather call it by its official name.

Post Reply