Curious about Myers-Briggs types around here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Curious about Myers-Briggs types around here

Post by bpmod »

Creed Bratton wrote:I am Iron Man.
Why is it I hear a particular guitar riff when I read thise words?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I get ESPN, what that means is that I could watch football all day if I wanted to.
:lol:
I am whatever type is the opposite of that.
The "if I wanted to" is a very important part of that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

I've been told by folks that my type is STFU.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:I've been told by folks that my type is STFU.
You magnificent son of a... :lol:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My e-mail records indicate that I took a short free online version of the test in 2011 and got ENFJ (22% - 62% - 12% - 44%). I just took it again (three years and a day later) and got INFJ (33% - 25% - 12% - 44%). Two of the percentages changed quite a bit (one, enough to flip a letter) and two stayed exactly the same.

While I tend to agree that this test is probably useless, for employers or otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about what valid uses it might possibly be put to, and how one might take a full validated test for free.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:My e-mail records indicate that I took a short free online version of the test in 2011 and got ENFJ (22% - 62% - 12% - 44%). I just took it again (three years and a day later) and got INFJ (33% - 25% - 12% - 44%). Two of the percentages changed quite a bit (one, enough to flip a letter) and two stayed exactly the same.

While I tend to agree that this test is probably useless, for employers or otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about what valid uses it might possibly be put to, and how one might take a full validated test for free.
I will say that in the past few years I've been through two relatively long stretches of unemployment (November 2012 to October 2013 and April to August 2014) in which I applied to hundreds of jobs (generally white collar) and had dozens of interviews, I've never had one where a Myers Briggs was given. (I have had a personality test for a couple - basically a "what would you do in this type of situation", "would you describe yourself as ..." thing - but no Myers Briggs. (At least they didn't spit a Myer Briggs type out at me.) I have a couple of friends in the HR field, I should ask them if they ever use it all or what the industry thinks of it)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Look up the origin of the test if you want a laugh.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Robert K S wrote:While I tend to agree that this test is probably useless, for employers or otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about what valid uses it might possibly be put to, and how one might take a full validated test for free.
I took it as part of preparation for some volunteer work I did. I think it can be a useful starting point for a discussion about the personalities of a group or team. For example, it might be helpful to know that someone usually prefers to work alone, and isn't necessarily isolating themselves because they're not getting along with team members. Sometimes people disagree with their results, or are actually different than they seem to others, and those can be good things to discuss too.

One way I've seen it misused is when people interpret it as dictating their destiny, or using it as an excuse for bad behavior - e.g., "I'm an ABCD so I'm naturally bossy, irritable, and short-tempered. People just need to accept that."

esrever

Post by esrever »

I took the Myers-Briggs test about 20 years ago, and I was a solid ISTJ. I had a supervisor who made everyone on her team (a dozen people) take the test. She thought that if we knew each other's personality types, we would be able to work better together. I worked in computer programming, and nearly all of us tested as ISTJ, INTJ or INTP.

JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

I remember taking the test years ago as part of a planning committee that I served on. Don't remember what I turned out to be, but I do remember being frustrated at the test only giving two possible answers for each question. I wanted more choices! Which probably says something about my personality. :D

JoshuaRQI
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaRQI »

INTJ

DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Solid T.

Less solid J.

N & S depend on the day.

Pathologically I.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

DadofTwins wrote:Pathologically I.
I have noticed that, online, it's hard to tell an introvert from an extrovert.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:Pathologically I.
I have noticed that, online, it's hard to tell an introvert from an extrovert.

Brian
I actually think that may be because, online, introverts *are* extroverts. Introverts *love* the internet, and it seems to be a well-known fact that they find communicating online much easier than in person. My fellow Is can testify.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

INTJs unite!

...as long as we don't have to leave the house to do so.

Delirium_Tremendous

Post by Delirium_Tremendous »

Well, this was pretty much what I expected. Lots of N's and T's and quite a few I's. Which could be Internet/forum self-selection as much as J-fan self-selection, so whatever. Or it's all meaningless because a dozen or so people is not a great sample.
dhkendall wrote:I will say that in the past few years I've been through two relatively long stretches of unemployment (November 2012 to October 2013 and April to August 2014) in which I applied to hundreds of jobs (generally white collar) and had dozens of interviews, I've never had one where a Myers Briggs was given. (I have had a personality test for a couple - basically a "what would you do in this type of situation", "would you describe yourself as ..." thing - but no Myers Briggs. (At least they didn't spit a Myer Briggs type out at me.) I have a couple of friends in the HR field, I should ask them if they ever use it all or what the industry thinks of it)
I've mostly heard of the test being given at corporate retreats and/or to see which underlings could be executive material. I think everyone in the corporate world wants to be/is supposed to be/is converting to ENTJ.
Last edited by Delirium_Tremendous on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

INTJ.
Years ago a neighbor came back from a 1-day management seminar, where he’d been subjected to a personality test that involved a triangle (yay! 3 choices) labeled hunter, gatherer, and farmer. He shared the test with us, and most people fell comfortably in the interior of the triangle whose vertices were defined by those 3 types. Not me: I was all the way on the vertex labeled hunter. My neighbors were horrified, but decided they still liked me, and nick-named me "Atilla the Hunney". That’s way more fun than INTJ.

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:The type of people that define themselves by their Myers-Briggs personalities are even worse than those that define themselves by their sun signs.
Not quite, yo.

INTJ

Mastermind

However accurate the test may be, at least I have a badass title :lol:
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

ISTJ - the beaver
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I'm EEEEEEEEEEEE (also my shoe width). Does the rest even matter?