TD 208: Guess The Sheep -- Questions now posted

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 208: Guess The Sheep -- Questions now posted

Post by jjwaymee » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Back in May when I asked Randy for this particular week to host a TD game I thought it would be a nice, slow post-Labor Day week when I had a normal routine and plenty of time to host TD. As it turns out, I was wrong. Never fear -- the TD game must go on and so must I. Unfortunately, it will take me an extra day to get the questions posted. I apologize for the inconvenience.

To tide you over, here are some rules! (stolen from previous TDs):

1. Please send me your answers by private message. Do NOT post them anywhere in this thread!

2. The deadline for submission is 11:59:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on Monday, September 15.

3. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5 points.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may DROP one question by listing that instead of an answer. That will give you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may choose to follow the crowd instead of providing your own answer on one question. In that case you can choose to answer SHEEP and your score for that question will be equal to the "sheep" score. Choosing SHEEP will not add to the sheep score. The sheep score will always be the most popular real answer, even if more people answer either DROP or SHEEP.

6. After each question you will be afforded the opportunity to earn a reduction of 1 point off your score if you can correctly guess which answer will be the "sheep". This is how you can earn your PhD in Think Different Sheepology. You are eligible to Guess The Sheep on every single question no matter what your official response may be (correct answer, SHEEP, DROP, wrong answer, etc.).

7. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

8. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the number of singletons, then doubletons, then, if all else fails, Vermonter's consultant will sort it out.

9. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good luck!
Last edited by jjwaymee on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjwaymee

Re: TD 208: Guess The Sheep

Post by jjwaymee » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Question 1: Name one of the top ten newspapers (highest weekday circulation) in the United States as of March 2013. The data is compiled by the Alliance for Audited Media. (10 possible answers)

Guess That Sheep! Tell me which answer you predict will be the sheep for this question.

Question 2: Name one of the fifteen most popular (based on the number of students who were enrolled) Advanced Placement (AP) courses in the United States in 2012. The data is reported by College Board, the organization that administers the AP exams. (15 possible answers)

Some Clarification: Some subjects are very specific within more general academic subjects. I am going to “combine” some of these very specific categories into a more general answer because I wouldn’t expect people to be able to answer the EXACT subject name. FOUR possible answers will treated the way I just described. For instance, there are AP subjects such as Studio Art 2-D Design, Studio Art 3-D Design AND Studio Art Drawing. If that subject had been a possible answer (it isn’t), I would have accepted “Studio Art” as a response. Feel free to PM me if you feel you need further clarification. I will be somewhat liberal in accepting answers if your intent is clear. If I need you to BMS, I will notify you.

Guess That Sheep! Tell me which answer you predict will be the sheep for this question.

Question 3: Name one of the tracks that appeared on Queen’s Greatest Hits album, released in 1981. It has been certified 8x Platinum in the United States and is, by far, their most commercially successful album. (25 possible answers)

Question 4: Name the CITY that is served by the U.S. airport that corresponds to one of the FAA Location Indicators (airport codes) listed below. Please provide the LETTER along with your response so I know which one you are answering. (13 possible answers)
I will give you one hint – all of these answers are among the 100 busiest airports in the country. I am not asking for the airport code for, say, Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO for those of you scoring at home).

A: LIT
B: OKC
C: BNA
D: MCI
E: SJC
F: SAT
G: PHL
H: HNL
I: MDW
J: DCA
K: PDX
L: MCO
M: MSP

Question 5: Name one of the sixteen most consumed CANNED fruits or vegetables in the United States. The data is in per capita consumption from 2005 and comes from a report to Congress made by the Dept. of Agriculture in 2008. The breakdown of correct answers is 7 fruits and 9 vegetables. (16 possible answers)

Question 6: Give the name of an element whose periodic table abbreviation is the same as the postal abbreviation for a U.S. state or territory. I need the NAME of the element, not the abbreviation. (14 17 possible answers)

Question 7: Name one of the ten most visited National Parks in the United States in 2012. The data comes from the National Park Service. (10 possible answers)

Question 8: Name a movie since 1961 that won the Academy Awards for BOTH the Best Picture AND the Best Actor in a Leading Role. (17 possible answers)

Question 9: Give the name of the college or university that corresponds to one of the nicknames listed below. Please provide the LETTER along with your response so I know which one you are answering. Each of these schools is a Division I school that plays college football in the FBS sub-division (the sub-division that participates in the Bowl Game system) as of 2014. (12 possible answers)

A: Thundering Herd
B: Rams
C: Chippewas
D: Badgers
E: Sun Devils
F: Yellow Jackets
G: Ragin’ Cajuns
H: Pirates
I: Jayhawks
J: Razorbacks
K: Vandals
L: Jaguars

Question 10: Name a person who was the Vice Presidential candidate on a ticket that lost a Presidential Election between 1948 and 2012. Third party VP candidates are acceptable answers if the corresponding candidate for President received at least one electoral vote. All answers must be the person who was the VP candidate on Election Day. (19 possible answers)

Question 11: Name one of the twelve states with the LOWEST percentage population of Native Americans per the data provided by the 2010 census. The District of Columbia is not an acceptable answer. (12 possible answers)

Question 12: Give the name of a character that appears on the original theatrical release poster for any one of the following Pixar movies listed below. The original theatrical release posters I am using are the ones found at each movie’s Wikipedia page. (22 possible answers)

Toy Story (1995)
Monsters, Inc. (2001)
The Incredibles (2004)
Up (2009)

Last edited by jjwaymee on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Participants (50)

Vermonter
JoshuaRQI
hscer
gamawire
Magna
nightreign
sarah0114
Tpmorrison
ElendilPickle
lieph82

Ryno
MarkBarrett
psgola
geolawyerman
dnbguy
Peachbox
dott888
dougforte
CheezeWhiz
Caboom

mennoknight
Creed Bratton
BobF
clprez
TerrHeel
Blue Lion
jepkid97
econgator
coolcah36
TheyCallMeMrKid

amorris525
sillymoose
Vanya
immaf
goforthetie
Peggles
whatisbishkek
Woof
eboettch
Woppy T

DCrawshawJr
spell4yr
mitchparov
tjconn728
Bamaman
debramc
Tigershark
countguy
barandall800
dhkendall
Last edited by jjwaymee on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 am, edited 12 times in total.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Clarification for Question 6:

My original count was wrong. There are 17 possible answers. Thanks, goforthetie!

Clarification for Question 7:

The National Park Service broadly defines different facilities as National Parks, National Monuments, National Battlefields, National Lakeshores, National Seashores, etc. I specifically asked for the ten most visited facilities in the "National Parks" category, of which there are 59 in the country. Each valid answer has the words "National Park" in its title. There will be no monuments, battlefields, etc. in the answer set.

I posted this clarification because I received an inquiry about it in a PM. If you have already entered and feel that this represents information you didn't previously have about the question, you may re-submit an answer (assuming you haven't done external research since submitting).
Last edited by jjwaymee on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jjwaymee

Re: TD 208: Guess The Sheep -- Questions now posted

Post by jjwaymee » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:56 pm

The questions are now posted. Have at it!

hscer

Post by hscer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 pm

active TD's shouldn't drop to page 2!
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 pm

hscer wrote:active TD's shouldn't drop to page 2!
Agreed! :P
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:23 am

Just to be crystal clear, on number 6 you just want the element name, not the corresponding state, right?

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 am

Correct. Name of the ELEMENT please.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:40 am

A clarification for question 7 has been posted above.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

I wish I could change my strategy a bit here:
SpoilerShow
Sheep all of my own responses! (I did this on one question)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Vermonter wrote:I wish I could change my strategy a bit here:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I did it on about half of them, but I sheep so much that it probably would've been better to do what you said.

Caboom

Post by Caboom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:43 am

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Well that might not be a bad strategy, at least you would never get the full sheep score then. I sheeped my own responses on 7 of the 12 questions, a couple of which I was only able to come up with one response on, so no choice there. I bet I will actually only sheep the three questions I *knew* I wouldn't sheep on and chose another sheep. :lol:

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Blue Lion , please enable the receipt of Private Messages in your settings so that I can give you feedback about your entry.

sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:15 pm

I'd like to participate in this, but I guess I need to post a few times first?

BobF

Post by BobF » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm

SpoilerShow
I did the same on many of mine
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 am

It's the last day to enter! Get your entries in before this TD turns back into a pumpkin at midnight! There are 40 entries thus far and still plenty of space in the pool.

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:37 pm

I sent a reply this afternoon and it's still in my outbox, so that means you haven't opened it yet. Just wanted to make sure you knew there's at least one more entry waiting for you. :)

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 pm

jjwaymee wrote:Participants
Vermonter
JoshuaRQI
hscer
gamawire
Magna
nightreign
sarah0114
Tpmorrison
ElendilPickle
lieph82
econgator
amorris525
sillymoose
Vanya
immaf
lieph82
goforthetie
Peggles
whatisbishkek
Woof
This is how you're supposed to cheat, guys, right out in the open.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 am

All entries have been received. If you sent me an entry before midnight you are in the game. A couple of last minute entries will see a follow-up from me with regards to question #2. I will reveal question #1 late in the afternoon and hopefully one or two more in the evening.