SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

Post by econgator »

Suze wrote:South Dakota Mt Rushmore plates, I would guess.
*nod* SD, IL, IN, and NE.

ETA: Hmmm ... maybe not NE? I can't find a picture of one. Maybe it is KY after all.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Well, I misread the question yet again and only gave one of the states...but it looks my second choice of KY wouldn't have been correct anyway, so I guess it works out. :)
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

DadofTwins wrote:Anything with "Charlie" in it is good.

Dysphasia is good for aphasia.

Typo on the announcement. The RQ is for R5D1.

If there's anything else I need to rule on I'll get it in the morning.
Thanks, Dad. I can finish up scoring. Should have results posted late tomorrow.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For the 5.5 12-pointer, I assume anything with "Grimm" or "Brothers Grimm" or "Grimm Brothers" is correct? (I said "the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales," and I've seen numerous variations along these lines in other people's responses)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Suze wrote:Well, it's interesting...license plates were issued in 2009 from Kentucky, looking like this: http://easypl8s.com/upnresize/pics/IMG_1252a.jpg

However they were later said to be issued without the correct approval, according to this: http://johnhuntmorgan.scv.org/articles/lincolnplate.htm

edit to add: Hmm they were issued for the 2009 anniversary, but actually created earlier than that. Don't know if it really fits the question as asked. Screw it, not really worth bothering with it much. :)
That's the one I remember and the reason I answered KY without a pause for concern. Good call on the Mt. Rushmore thing, too, Suze. I was racking my brain trying to come up with #4 (D.C. shouldn't count IMO as the question asked for states).
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

If Kentucky is wrong:

I am a man of constant sorrow
I've seen trouble all my day.
My perfect score hangs on Kentucky
The place where Abe was born and raised.
(The place where he was born and raised)

For five long weeks I've been in trouble
No perfect scores on earth I found
For in this world I'm bound to blunder
I have no brains to help me now.

[chorus] He has no brains to help him now
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

The intended answers for the states were South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans sued to block the Kentucky plate, but not until it had been issued, so I'm counting that.

That said, I realized this morning that the license plate clue just said issued, not that the issue was statewide. Some states put county names on license plates. So any response that includes a state that a) includes county names and b) has a Lincoln County will be correct.

Pete, please e-mail me a list of wrong answers and I'll go back and check on them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Good feeling about R5D6...lucked out that the radio station I listen to featured the pianist in question last week, though. No chance I'd've gotten it otherwise.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DadofTwins wrote:The intended answers for the states were South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.
Gives you a monopoly on Red.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

no such synchronicity for me, Volante. But I almost put "Ling Ling" as a joke answer. Wonder if that would've flown?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Paucle wrote:no such synchronicity for me, Volante. But I almost put "Ling Ling" as a joke answer. Wonder if that would've flown?
Doubt it. Now, if you could find a piano playing panda...

Addendum: awww, man, I goofed on the musical...so close... :(
Last edited by Volante on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Paucle wrote:no such synchronicity for me, Volante. But I almost put "Ling Ling" as a joke answer. Wonder if that would've flown?
No, but it would have eaten bamboo!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Apparently I overthought the 10-pt magical creatures clue. Dwarfs just seemed too obvious for the point value, so I went with Nibelungs. That may be too specific... OTOH, it is not clear to me that it doesn't fit the clue. Ruling please?
Volante

Post by Volante »

gnash wrote:Apparently I overthought the 10-pt magical creatures clue. Dwarfs just seemed too obvious for the point value, so I went with Nibelungs. That may be too specific... OTOH, it is not clear to me that it doesn't fit the clue. Ruling please?
I was looking at that as well. Seems to me that it's too specific an answer, Nibelung being a specific subset of dwarves, but more importantly, not associated with the realm mentioned.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:Apparently I overthought the 10-pt magical creatures clue. Dwarfs just seemed too obvious for the point value, so I went with Nibelungs. That may be too specific... OTOH, it is not clear to me that it doesn't fit the clue. Ruling please?
Outside of Wagner's oeuvre, the term Nibelung(en) refers to Burgundian nobles, not to dwarves, or such is my understanding of the content of the Nibelungenlied.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

So is it "meep-meep" or "beep-beep?" My official answer was CLAM.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I suspect that both will be accepted -- I put "meep-meep" because that's what I always heard, but I know "beep-beep" is also used in licensed material.

No way should "dwarves" be a 10-pointer (and "dwarfs" is just wrong, no matter what Walt Disney says) -- looks like I fell into the same "gotta be more clever" trap that others did -- I said Niebelungen.

ETA: The Sons of the Confederate Veterans objected to a plate honoring Lincoln? Since when do traitorous losers get to decide these things? It's like the Sons of Stalin objecting to an honor for Mikhail Gorbachev.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
BoK

Post by BoK »

NoName84 wrote:So is it "meep-meep" or "beep-beep?" My official answer was CLAM.
I would put good money on both being accepted. Which is the "correct" response? Well, there are a bunch of Road Runner cartoons with "beep" as part of the title and none that have "meep", so I guess the creators would say it's "beep-beep." http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/List_ ... r_cartoons
OldSchoolChamp

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:"dwarfs" is just wrong, no matter what Walt Disney says
Actually, I believe dwarfs is the standard, established plural, with dwarves gaining increased acceptance nowadays under Tolkien’s influence:
J. R. R. Tolkien (in [i]The Return of the King[/i] Appendix F, “The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age”) wrote:  
It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs. It should be dwarrows (or dwerrows), if singular and plural had each gone its own way down the years, as have man and men, or goose and geese. But we no longer speak of a dwarf as often as we do of a man, or even of a goose, and memories have not been fresh enough among Men to keep hold of a special plural for a race now abandoned to folk-tales, where at least a shadow of truth is preserved, or at last to nonsense-stories in which they have become mere figures of fun....It is to mark this that I have ventured to use the form dwarves, and so remove them a little, perhaps, from the sillier tales of these latter days.
For the record, I like dwarves better too, but dwarfs can’t be dismissed as “just wrong.”

—Old Storm Crow

Last edited by OldSchoolChamp on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Round 5 day 6 was brutal for me. I am just glad that I didn't end up in the negatives!