J! Archive suggestion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: J! Archive suggestion

Post by seaborgium »

JayK33 wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Also David (?) Juliano and Jason Block and Adam Taxin. I think Rocky Schmidt deserves it too, but he doesn't have it.
It has been raised that Adam Taxin's games don't deserve notations ("Adam Taxin game 1", etc.). Remind me, what makes him notable?
In my personal opinion (which probably won't matter much), I think those notations should only be used for ToC participants and cases like Cindy Stowell, who win enough to make a ToC, but aren't able to compete come the time.
Fun fact: after Cindy's first win, I submitted a suggestion that she should have her games labeled regardless of future performance. How wrong I was to have any assumption she wouldn't earn the labels in her own right!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

My one suggestion for the j-archive would be to recruit new volunteer archivists (maybe easier said than done).

The j-archive is one of my favorite things in the world and I owe so much to it, so I don't mean this as a criticism, just thought I'd throw it out there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

whoisalexjacob wrote:My one suggestion for the j-archive would be to recruit new volunteer archivists (maybe easier said than done).

The j-archive is one of my favorite things in the world and I owe so much to it, so I don't mean this as a criticism, just thought I'd throw it out there.
How much do you wanna owe to it?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I would like to be able to search specific strings on j-archive.

For example if I want to see how many times "K Street" has appeared on Jeopardy! I get this: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... it=Search

That search result doesn't help me identify how often they ask about the Washington avenue associated with lobbying. I like to use the search feature to see how frequently some responses appear and unfortunately there are many things I can't really search for.

If there's already a good way to do this please let me know. Thank you.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 pm I would like to be able to search specific strings on j-archive.

For example if I want to see how many times "K Street" has appeared on Jeopardy! I get this: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... it=Search

That search result doesn't help me identify how often they ask about the Washington avenue associated with lobbying. I like to use the search feature to see how frequently some responses appear and unfortunately there are many things I can't really search for.

If there's already a good way to do this please let me know. Thank you.
Searching for street and lobby together brings up the three times it's been mentioned.

Alternately, you can search for "j-archive" from Google, which then brings up a text box where you can enter search terms in parentheses to search the archive that way.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

You could also run a Google search like this one. But Google doesn't recognize a clue and its response(s) as a single entity like the Archive does, so you wouldn't be able to search for "street" and "lobby" at the same time and get the games for those same three clues.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

I know that I tend to revive old threads a lot on here, but with the recent addition to game's tape dates that were just added to the archive, someone could create a thread on here for game's tape dates, just like the "New old games" thread.

The games I personally really would want to get tape dates for that are unknown right now are the Super Jeopardy! games, the All-Star games, the GOAT tournament, and the 3-game UToC Finals.

Also, I can tell you this for sure: The Nov 1995 ToC was taped on Oct 10 & Oct 11 of that year - the quarterfinals on the 10th and the semifinals & finals on the 11th.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Given a choice between an archivist putting a new game in or adding tape dates to already archived games, which is more beneficial to the Jeopardy community?

The archivist's time is finite and they already put in countless hours for free.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

We always love to receive data we didn't have, but we also just can't put data in the Archive because an anonymous message board user says they know it "for sure". Fritz was in that ToC and I'm checking with him to see if he remembers the dates.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm we also just can't put data in the Archive because an anonymous message board user says they know it "for sure".
Going forward, though, it would be almost no extra work for the Jeopardy! "box score" compiler(s) to include the taping date somewhere on each game's sheet. Mr. Davies, I don't mean to be greedy, but there will be times when the taping date will stir viewers' interest, whether in terms of timing/pacing a champion's long run, or in terms of a clue resonating on its air-date in a way that makes us wonder about the taping date.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm Given a choice between an archivist putting a new game in or adding tape dates to already archived games, which is more beneficial to the Jeopardy community?

The archivist's time is finite and they already put in countless hours for free.
Adding tape dates is a snap and goes quickly with the 5-day repetition of numbers.

When the tape date for the 1/17/22 - 1/21/22 games comes to light it's less than a minute's work to add the info.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It is interesting information but I don’t think it is worth your trouble trying to track down tape dates of old games.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 pm It is interesting information but I don’t think it is worth your trouble trying to track down tape dates of old games.
I tell myself it's all a "Maybe The Real Treasure Was the Friends We Made Along the Way" kind of thing.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm Given a choice between an archivist putting a new game in or adding tape dates to already archived games, which is more beneficial to the Jeopardy community?

Adding tape dates is a snap and goes quickly with the 5-day repetition of numbers.

When the tape date for the 1/17/22 - 1/21/22 games comes to light it's less than a minute's work to add the info.
Oh I get that for current games. Just talking about games from say 20 years ago, not to mention what RKS already stated about the accuracy of such.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm We always love to receive data we didn't have, but we also just can't put data in the Archive because an anonymous message board user says they know it "for sure". Fritz was in that ToC and I'm checking with him to see if he remembers the dates.
Alright, alright, maybe I shouldn't have said "for sure."

But what I should have said in my previous post was how I found out those were the tape dates was from an old website I had discovered from way back around 2000/2001, that mentioned one of the competitors (though I can't remember who that was).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fritz confirms, with his personal calendar entry! Back in the days of written calendars.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I came across this article which gives a hint as to the approximate tape dates of the 1995-B Seniors Tournament.
Retired prof wins money on Jeopardy, by TERRI ANNE GREIG, Dec 29, 1995
VALPARAISO - It came down to one wrong answer - actually, under Jeopardy format, one wrong question.

The category was books and authors.

The clue was: This prolific woman author has recently published a book set in Russia.

"The answer was Danielle Steele. I said Joyce Carol Oates," retired Valparaiso University English professor Nola Wegman lamented.

"I missed the finals by $100," she said. "The two guys didn't know it. If I'd not tried to answer that, I would have gone on to the finals."

Wegman competed in the Jeopardy! senior tournament, which is still being aired this week. Although she came in second place in the semifinals and won $5,000, that wrong response ended her run on the TV show.

The $800 Danielle Steele question she missed was one of only two clues left on the board. She earned $1,000 on the last clue by naming Arthur Hailey as the author of the book "Airport."

In Final Jeopardy - the game's last chance to earn money - all three contestants wager as much money as they want on one clue.

"I bet everything, and I was right," Wegman said.

The Valparaiso resident identified the man Marie Antionette had called "the electric ambassador:" Ben Franklin.

But, she wasn't the only one to answer correctly, and so she fell short.

The shows were taped in Los Angeles just after Thanksgiving. Her appearances in the first and second rounds were aired last week and this week.

Because of the show's policy, Wegman wasn't allowed to say how she did or what she won until after the programs aired.

"People did try and pressure me to reveal what happened," Wegman said. "But I was a teacher. I'm used to being tough."

What is Jeopardy host Alex Trebek really like?

"Everyone asks me that question," Wegman replied. "He's a very charming, attractive man who made us all feel very comfortable."

The former professor said she felt good watching herself play when the programs aired earlier this week.

"After the first game was taped, I thought I didn't play as well as I had wanted to," Wegman recalled. "But, when I watched it on television, it was a better game than I thought it was."

Wegman already has plans for her winnings.

"My favorite retirement activity is travel," she added. "I'd like to travel to North Carolina, and Washington D.C."

And will this local Jeopardy champion continue watching the show? "Oh, yes," Wegman said with enthusiasm. "I enjoy yelling out obscure facts, even if no one is around to hear them."