J! Archive suggestion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: J! Archive suggestion

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
Robert K S wrote:There are no plans to put Sports games in the Archive (doing so would require significant retooling). Or to denote my glorious games 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
I would request you not put any special note for Japinga until his TOC games actually air. We (those who were not at the tapings) do not know for a fact if he is in or if the TOC qualifying closed at the end of S30. I think it would be a spoiler if it was listed now.
But he's been in 5 games, TOC or no TOC, isn't that the definition of what merits a note?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:I would request you not put any special note for Japinga until his TOC games actually air. We (those who were not at the tapings) do not know for a fact if he is in or if the TOC qualifying closed at the end of S30. I think it would be a spoiler if it was listed now.
I'm all for spoilerizing things as much as possible, but how does a person's participation who's shows aired already spoil anything?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Robert K S wrote:There are no plans to put Sports games in the Archive (doing so would require significant retooling). Or to denote my glorious games 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
I would request you not put any special note for Japinga until his TOC games actually air. We (those who were not at the tapings) do not know for a fact if he is in or if the TOC qualifying closed at the end of S30. I think it would be a spoiler if it was listed now.
But he's been in 5 games, TOC or no TOC, isn't that the definition of what merits a note?
Robert K S wrote: As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
I'm not sure about the "even if" part, is there some way for a 4-time champion to have not appeared in five games?
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm not sure about the "even if" part, is there some way for a 4-time champion to have not appeared in five games?
A player could "resign" for whatever reason (although I believe no one has ever done that).
If a player was found to have pulled something like a "Barbara Lowe" or "Jeff Kirby" (appearing on the show ineligibly) they could then be forced to end their run (and forfeit their winnings).
If for some reason the contestant couldn't return for the taping of their fifth game (although if there's a good reason for not showing up, like what happened to Priscilla Ball after her first game in 2009, you'd probably be allowed to return as a challenger later on).

Note that each of these cases (unless said contestant's last game before one of the above events happened finished with co-champions) would result in a game with three new contestants.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

Robert K S wrote: As a general rule, we don't denote the games of mere 4-time champs, even if they have appeared in five games, until we have rock-hard confirmation that they appeared in a ToC. Since the ToC has taped, if any attendees want to provide that confirmation, it will be a delight to note those champs' games in the Archive.
I'm not sure about the "even if" part, is there some way for a 4-time champion to have not appeared in five games?
By game 5 being on tomorrow.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Bamaman wrote:

I agree here....seeing the ToC doesn't air until November, there could be another 5x+ champ between now and then, and if it happens the ToC qualifying period in still in play, then Japinga would be out.

As mentioned in a previous thread, for the ToC field back in 2001, even though the field was already set in stone being all 5x champions, the 4x-ers who played after the field was set in stone and before that season's ToC (Ramsey Campbell, Rod Sanders) didn't qualify for the ToC following that one; those two had to have won their 5th game in order to come to the ToC.

I know it hasn't happened in the ToC as of yet since the 5x rule change, but to any Jeopardy! experts out there who know, do all champions who have won 5x still automatically qualify for the ToC? If the field is full when they win their 5th games are they guaranteed a spot in the next one? Or then is it sorted by # of games won and amt of money won and the low-scoring 5x-ers are out?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of suggestions, "Stand-and-Stare" is not in the Glossary. While I'm not sure how TPTB define it, I would argue that it is a subset of a TS. It best describes when no one rings in at all, while a TS can have incorrect questions associated with it or be a stand-and-stare.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:[D]o all champions who have won 5x still automatically qualify for the ToC?
I am in no position to make pronouncements, but it seems to me that there is no hard and fast rule with regards to ToC invitations, and there is no "right" to appear in the ToC. Any champ's appearance is at the invitation of the producers. That said, based on history and tradition (Dawson & Bailey), I believe that five-timers who didn't make the cut one year would still be given an invitation the next year, unless the field was again full, in which case they might be out of luck.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:Speaking of suggestions, "Stand-and-Stare" is not in the Glossary. While I'm not sure how TPTB define it, I would argue that it is a subset of a TS. It best describes when no one rings in at all, while a TS can have incorrect questions associated with it or be a stand-and-stare.
I think that's a good definition and a useful distinction. The edge case would be where a contestant rings in but just gawks at Alex, before giving a shake of the head and a sotto voce "sorry". Reasonable people can differ on that one, but the truly reasonable people will see that it's a "stand and stare". ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was looking through the Miscellaneous Stats for a season, clicking through to a few games, and I noticed the most/least ring-ins stats were just the sums of the respective player's total right and total wrong. Those sums can be accurate, but they also include DDs, which are not rung in on. Bug, misnomer, or design?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote:I was looking through the Miscellaneous Stats for a season, clicking through to a few games, and I noticed the most/least ring-ins stats were just the sums of the respective player's total right and total wrong. Those sums can be accurate, but they also include DDs, which are not rung in on. Bug, misnomer, or design?
Sounds like a bug, provided ring-ins are defined as rights + wrongs - DDs. Should be fixed now. Good catch, thanks.

It looks like Ken Jennings still holds the record for most ring-ins, with 46 in a single game. (The "What's a hoe?" game was also pretty high, with 45.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I was looking through the Miscellaneous Stats for a season, clicking through to a few games, and I noticed the most/least ring-ins stats were just the sums of the respective player's total right and total wrong. Those sums can be accurate, but they also include DDs, which are not rung in on. Bug, misnomer, or design?
Sounds like a bug, provided ring-ins are defined as rights + wrongs - DDs. Should be fixed now. Good catch, thanks.

It looks like Ken Jennings still holds the record for most ring-ins, with 46 in a single game. (The "What's a hoe?" game was also pretty high, with 45.)
Not sure where to find that stat, but I'm curious how that holds up to Watson.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:

Not sure where to find that stat, but I'm curious how that holds up to Watson.
Watson went 38R, 5W, 3 DD's (so, 40 -- Ken had 12, Brad 11) in Game 1 and 28R, 3W, 2 DD's (29 -- Ken 17, Brad 14) in Game 2.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

I have two more suggestions for the archive. First, I know I mentioned this in another thread; but I thought I'd repost it here. Whoever is in charge of Ken Jennings's profile should add the images of his podiums & of his FJ reactions from his games in the IBM Challenge and the BotD Tournament. I feel as though this request would be better in this thread and not in the New old games thread.

Second, I suggest that before Jeopardy! takes away the "ToC Yearbook" page off of their site, someone should put in all the text for each ToC player's yearbook updates as another link on their J! Archive profiles (seeing only 45 ToC players were in the tournament). As was the case for when the 2005 UToC was airing, the J! archivists used the text for all the participants from that tournament of that were on the J! website before they were all taken down from the site.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote:Also David (?) Juliano and Jason Block and Adam Taxin. I think Rocky Schmidt deserves it too, but he doesn't have it.
It has been raised that Adam Taxin's games don't deserve notations ("Adam Taxin game 1", etc.). Remind me, what makes him notable?
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

A few weeks back I was just thinking about the posts I made in this thread from some time ago, so I felt it was time for me to return to follow up.

In addition to wanting archived games of the old Jeopardy spinoff shows "Jep!" and "Rock & Roll Jeopardy!", I would also be interested in archived games of other J! related material, such as the "Sports Jeopardy!" show spinoff (which apparently I had no knowledge about when I posted my previous suggestion post here), and also, which is going to be big time here, all the games, answers and questions that were used in all the editions that have been released by the Tiger Electronics Jeopardy games. Of course, when it comes to archiving the electronic game clues, there were separate cartridges that were part of the game (which would mean the games would have to be archived by using the cartridges), seeing all the answers from the game had multiple-choice questions (of which I think need to be in the text too), and there's some people out there who may consider the page a source of cheats. Seeing also the categories in the electronic game where denoted by numbers makes it an easy way to archive too.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Oh, if this is a thread for Archive suggestions, here's a mildly annoying bug: if you click a game from search results and your query has an apostrophe, the page breaks: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ku%27alofa

Another one: highlights can mess up the HTML. See http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=class and mouse over any box.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:A few weeks back I was just thinking about the posts I made in this thread from some time ago, so I felt it was time for me to return to follow up.

In addition to wanting archived games of the old Jeopardy spinoff shows "Jep!" and "Rock & Roll Jeopardy!", I would also be interested in archived games of other J! related material, such as the "Sports Jeopardy!" show spinoff (which apparently I had no knowledge about when I posted my previous suggestion post here), and also, which is going to be big time here, all the games, answers and questions that were used in all the editions that have been released by the Tiger Electronics Jeopardy games. Of course, when it comes to archiving the electronic game clues, there were separate cartridges that were part of the game (which would mean the games would have to be archived by using the cartridges), seeing all the answers from the game had multiple-choice questions (of which I think need to be in the text too), and there's some people out there who may consider the page a source of cheats. Seeing also the categories in the electronic game where denoted by numbers makes it an easy way to archive too.
I hope Robert doesn't mind me jumping here, but I think I can safely say that this is not going to happen or be a thing as it is wildly outside of the project's scope.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Also David (?) Juliano and Jason Block and Adam Taxin. I think Rocky Schmidt deserves it too, but he doesn't have it.
It has been raised that Adam Taxin's games don't deserve notations ("Adam Taxin game 1", etc.). Remind me, what makes him notable?
In my personal opinion (which probably won't matter much), I think those notations should only be used for ToC participants and cases like Cindy Stowell, who win enough to make a ToC, but aren't able to compete come the time.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

As someone who has worked on some information aggregate projects myself, my response to requests for additional work is "Sounds great and I'd be happy to help! When are you going to be uploading the data/information?"