J! Archive suggestion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

J! Archive suggestion

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

When one accesses the "all seasons" link on the J! Archive, it shows a list of all the seasons of the Trebek era, including the pilots.

Here's a suggestion to improve on it: Instead of a list format, how about incorporating the logos from those seasons in sort of a table format, and clicking on either the season link or the logo from that season will access all the archived games for that particular season.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J! Archive suggestion

Post by jeffwolfe »

I have sort of a related suggestion. I often find myself going to the J! Archive wanting to see the list of seasons. It would be nice if you could add "[all]" to the string of season links on the front page, and make that link to the list of seasons.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeffwolfe wrote:I have sort of a related suggestion. I often find myself going to the J! Archive wanting to see the list of seasons. It would be nice if you could add "[all]" to the string of season links on the front page, and make that link to the list of seasons.
Personally, I don't see any benefit of jeopfansincebirth's request, but I wholeheartedly support this one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Personally, I would love to see the search box on the homepage instead of needing to click through to a season.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

It would be nice if games that have a page but have yet to be completely archived were marked on the list of episodes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I agree with the last three ideas and have one of my own. Would it be possible to have a page that shows the most recently added games? I know we have the old games thread, but people don't always mention it there when they do add a game. Maybe the twenty or so most recent could be on the list. Could the current season's games be filtered out if such a list if it were done?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

From my own personal design perspective, the splash is designed to be pretty more than functional. Those preferring function can bookmark to a deeper page, or in most modern browsers it is just as easy to get to a deep page through the address bar via autocomplete as it is to get to the splash. There is now an [All] link on the splash, though I think it lessens the feng shui of the design. I would prefer not to add a search box to the splash until (1) it can be done without further damaging the feng shui and (2) I can improve the search functionality (alas, I've never had time to upgrade it beyond the highly simplistic placeholder version of search I built to serve as a temporary solution when the site got put up). The search is probably a big memory/processor hog for the server and a lot of searches just plain fail, or don't serve up the results they ought to.

I can add a "recently added games" list but the problem is that many times a game gets added as a skeleton (players/date, no clues) and then gets filled in weeks/months/years later. So the recently added games might not actually include skeletons newly filled in, unless I can figure out reasonable ways for the system to be able to distinguish games that have recently gone from skeleton to complete from games that have gone from complete to revised-complete. Tricksy.

How would you want skeletons denoted on the game lists? In strikethrough?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I agree with the last three ideas and have one of my own. Would it be possible to have a page that shows the most recently added games? I know we have the old games thread, but people don't always mention it there when they do add a game. Maybe the twenty or so most recent could be on the list. Could the current season's games be filtered out if such a list if it were done?
I think the Archive still has a (seldom used) Twitter account, this might work for that, pretty much the only thing I use the Twitter account for my anthems site for (which is my only Twitter account so far, I don't have a personal one) is announcing updates/changes/additions.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Also, could all the archivists quit their day jobs and devote themselves to this full time?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

MDaunt wrote:Also, could all the archivists quit their day jobs and devote themselves to this full time?
Day jobs? Who signed off on this?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Robert K S wrote: How would you want skeletons denoted on the game lists? In strikethrough?
Strikethrough seems inelegant... maybe just a different color or font, or a small icon at the end of the listing? Thanks for all your efforts!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote:How would you want skeletons denoted on the game lists? In strikethrough?
A picture of Skeletor next to it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There is a skull and crossbones unicode symbol, ☠, but it doesn't look good in small fonts.

(To see it larger here, try holding down Ctrl on your keyboard while wheeling up on your mouse.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, the skeleton games would be a problem. Someone could put in one of the games from S18 and no one would know.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Maybe just put the skeleton games in brackets in the index?

(I know, big surprise *me* suggesting brackets!)

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

alietr wrote:Personally, I would love to see the search box on the homepage instead of needing to click through to a season.
Me too, but I remember saying this here before.
I also suggest dhkendall gets a personal Twitter account. ;)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:Maybe just put the skeleton games in brackets in the index?

(I know, big surprise *me* suggesting brackets!)
Leave it dhkendall to suggest a way to flag the skeleton games.
OCSam
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
alietr wrote:Personally, I would love to see the search box on the homepage instead of needing to click through to a season.
Me too, but I remember saying this here before.
I also suggest dhkendall gets a personal Twitter account. ;)
Vigorously seconded. :D
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

I also have a suggestion, and I don't want any of you to believe that I'm acting crazy here, but though this in a way wouldn't belong in the official J-Archive, I wonder if someone out there could make a separate site of archived games that would be of the two spin-off editions of the show, the 1998 kids show "Jep!" and the 1998-2001 VH1 show "Rock & Roll Jeopardy!" Of course, there are downfalls for using both editions that might make it tough to make archives; for "Jep!" more than 50% of all the clues given were visuals, the kids' buzzer was a randomizer to select the point value, besides Daily Doubles there were also clues that would feature the "JEP! Squad" & clues that would let the contestants win a Tiger Toys prize, and the way incorrect answers were treated. And for Rock & Roll Jeopardy, though there were more clues there with just words on the screens and the game boards were just like the regular Jeopardy show, those downfalls were the fact that some clues were just audio or video clips (or for that matter were included in the clues), and there was no first-break during Round 1 of play.

And like the regular J! Archive, seeing both editions played reruns of episodes several times when they aired on television, it makes me think if viewers would want each show's episode #'s and original airdates in place too.
Last edited by jeopardyfan87 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

I have a separate suggestion:

Would it be possible to place some date selectors [MM] [DD] [YYYY] on the front page, such that you could go directly to an archived show of interest? One reason for doing this would be for people who are catching up on episodes and don't want to see spoilers by going to the list of episodes and seeing the names of the contestants each day (and thus who the winners were from each show).

With some clever coding, it might even be possible to set up the boxes such that you choose the year (or season) first, then the date selectors dynamically populate to only provide valid matches.

Just a thought.