Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead to piranha on Hunt for $400? I was stunned when it wasn't shark, and ended up clamming the next four to get a rare goose-egg in an animal category.
The Orinoco is a South American river and piranha are native to South America.
And sharks don't go in rivers (they're generally saltwater)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Ah, that's why, they don't usually have to narrow it down three times. I saw "body of water" + "smell blood" and went to shark right away without stopping to think what the Orinoco actually is. A bit misleading IMO if you either don't know what the Orinoco is or latch onto the other TOMs first.
Any clue is misleading if you don't know the answer! That's why people who go on Jeopardy know these things, the clues aren't written for you or the average viewer as a rule, they're designed as a test of knowledge. If you don't know that the Orinoco is a river, sure it's going to be tough. If you don't know that Seuss wrote a book about hats in 1937, sure Final is going to be tough. But they make sure to have people on the show would could get at least 60% (lowballing it here) - and that's the top 60% - of the clues, otherwise it'd be a pretty boring show.

Gee, not even seven hours into Season 31 and already I broke my new season's resolution.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Any clue is misleading if you don't know the answer! That's why people who go on Jeopardy know these things, the clues aren't written for you or the average viewer as a rule, they're designed as a test of knowledge. If you don't know that the Orinoco is a river, sure it's going to be tough.
That's the thing though. I did know the Orinoco is a river, but still got led astray by body of water + something that smells blood.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

Dr. Seuss did briefly appear in my mind, but not long enough to take hold. I think maybe I just assumed Bartholomew Cubbins was much later. Said F. Scott Fitzgerald just to have something. Yet another season premiere where I'm awesome in the rest of the game and choke on FJ.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Ahhhhh, back to the Jeopardy! grind with me. I don't do summer reruns, preferring to take a break instead. So I was very out of practice this evening, plus an 11-hour day at work means a pathetic Coryat and a totally blown final (I said Steinbeck just as a total guess of an author from that era). Lach Trash on Missouri/Illinois, Nevada/Arizona, New Deal, Thatcher and Steve Martin.

Moustache: Aye, but he should perhaps consider dying it a shade or two.

DD graphic: Didn't really notice it so can't judge one way or the other just yet.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

CyrusChan wrote:felt double-talk and states were pretty simple. shocked nobody figured out where Hoover Dam is.
That category gave me a bad feeling we were in for a derpfest of 'But that's from before we were born, how could we possibly know thatduhhh?' gameplay...and I was right. Ignorance of geography, history (Roosevelt huh what who duh, now?) and pop culture (Dr, Seuss, for the luvva Horton!). Alex's mustache was the only noteworthy thing about the game.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I think a large percentage of the board can credit themselves with a 4th podium win for this game.

With the game on the line in FJ, two of the contestants use part of their think time to write joke answers...
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Johnblue wrote:I'm glad to see the show back but I hope the mustache goes away. I don't mind the DD graphic but it is noticeable. So many TSs but a solid win nonetheless.
I think AT's mustache looks ok when he's wearing his glasses -- otherwise, I'd agree with 'see ya' (weird, I know). So excited the new season has finally begun! I also went immediately with Dr. Seuss for Final owing to 'A Cat In The Hat' like others, it just seemed right (and I thought who else would use a variety of hats as the basis of a book). I also had some lach trash with United Nations, Thatcher, Scott Brown, Bald Eagle, Veterinarian, & Steve Martin (surpised on that one).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not even notice the new DD graphic, I will check it out today.

I don't know anything about him, but I bet Bill wishes he had been drawn for this game. Retro good luck today.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

fowlerism wrote:Having read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins to my daughter several times in the last few months, I wrote down Seuss right away. I subsequently decided it was probably wrong, since the hats in that book are all identical
Not all the way through the book, they weren't. That's why I didn't let that stop me.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

The "three people who've never been in my kitchen" thing got old several years ago IMO.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In my opinion, this game is a good example of why they should try to have a mix of contestants age-wise on each show. There will be a higher percentage of correct answers if the contestants' skill sets are complementary rather than overlapping. It also increases the rooting interests for people at home. (And I have no skin in the game; I'm never going back on.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

After six weeks off in which to prepare for the first game of the new season, they gave us this rather disappointing game.

Let's see, no one knew that Eleanor was a representative to the U.N., or that FDR promised "a New Deal," or the Herriot was a veterinarian, or that the book was "Tortilla Flats?"

And on and on the misses went, including Dr. Seuss?

I'm darned glad to see the new regular season back, and the end of repeats. I just hope the quality improves, and soon.

I had $6400 in Lach Trash before I lost track. That plus a doubling bet in FJ would have tied me with Elizabeth for the win. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

John Boy wrote: Let's see, no one knew that Eleanor was a representative to the U.N., or that FDR promised "a New Deal," or the Herriot was a veterinarian, or that the book was "Tortilla Flats?"
I had $6400 in Lach Trash before I lost track.
I hope you're not counting "Tortilla Flats" as part of that $6400...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:Let's see, no one knew that Eleanor was a representative to the U.N., or that FDR promised "a New Deal," or the Herriot was a veterinarian, or that the book was "Tortilla Flats?"
Some of us thought that FDR promised "a chicken in every pot" :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:In my opinion, this game is a good example of why they should try to have a mix of contestants age-wise on each show. There will be a higher percentage of correct answers if the contestants' skill sets are complementary rather than overlapping. It also increases the rooting interests for people at home. (And I have no skin in the game; I'm never going back on.)
There probably is in the weekly contestant pool, but given the random drawing of the two challengers, it's hard to have it an ideal mix each show.
dhkendall wrote:[If you don't know that the Orinoco is a river, sure it's going to be tough.
Funny, I thought it was an Enya song! :mrgreen:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
alietr wrote:In my opinion, this game is a good example of why they should try to have a mix of contestants age-wise on each show. There will be a higher percentage of correct answers if the contestants' skill sets are complementary rather than overlapping. It also increases the rooting interests for people at home. (And I have no skin in the game; I'm never going back on.)
There probably is in the weekly contestant pool, but given the random drawing of the two challengers, it's hard to have it an ideal mix each show.
That "random" drawing somehow manages to result in one male and one female challenger in the vast majority of games, so it stands to reason that they do have some ability to rig the drawing in order to provide a desired demographic mix.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

buckeyebrain wrote:Moustache: Aye, but he should perhaps consider dying
Seems harsh.
earendel

Post by earendel »

First thought on FJ! was Dr. Seuss, based on the hats (I recall reading "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" to my children). But 1937 bugged me, and then when I saw "foundation" in quotes, I thought maybe it might have been Isaac Asimov, who wrote the Foundation trilogy. Fortunately I decided to stick with my original answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
davey

Post by davey »

fowlerism wrote:Having read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins to my daughter several times in the last few months, I wrote down Seuss right away. I subsequently decided it was probably wrong, since the hats in that book are all identical, but I couldn't come up with anything better.
I don't think I ever had or read the Bartholomew Cubbins book as a child, but the title came to me right away. If The Cat in the Hat had come to me first I don't think I would have chosen Seuss because all the hats are the same. Now you tell me that they're the same in Cubbins as well! So there was absolutely nothing to the clue except many hats = Seuss. No wonder so many got it for the wrong book...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

earendel wrote:First thought on FJ! was Dr. Seuss, based on the hats (I recall reading "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" to my children). But 1937 bugged me, and then when I saw "foundation" in quotes, I thought maybe it might have been Isaac Asimov, who wrote the Foundation trilogy. Fortunately I decided to stick with my original answer.
I went with Asimov; Seuss never occurred to me.

A solid no vote on the mustache from me.