Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:Let's see, no one knew that Eleanor was a representative to the U.N., or that FDR promised "a New Deal," or the Herriot was a veterinarian, or that the book was "Tortilla Flats?"
Some of us thought that FDR promised "a chicken in every pot" :(
Pretty sure that was Franklin Pierce.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:Let's see, no one knew that Eleanor was a representative to the U.N., or that FDR promised "a New Deal," or the Herriot was a veterinarian, or that the book was "Tortilla Flats?"
It was Herbert Hoover.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Leaper wrote:
fowlerism wrote:Having read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins to my daughter several times in the last few months, I wrote down Seuss right away. I subsequently decided it was probably wrong, since the hats in that book are all identical
Not all the way through the book, they weren't. That's why I didn't let that stop me.
Spoiler tags, please!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

davey wrote:
John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
It was Herbert Hoover.
"The vacuum guy?" (5 points for anyone who can name that quote's source)
davey

Post by davey »

Leaper wrote:
fowlerism wrote:Having read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins to my daughter several times in the last few months, I wrote down Seuss right away. I subsequently decided it was probably wrong, since the hats in that book are all identical
Not all the way through the book, they weren't. That's why I didn't let that stop me.
Thanks, I see that they do get fancier at the end of the book.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I'm with y'all... Yay, it's back! And boo! How can they leave that much lach trash? Not impressed by any of them (except possibly the winner's wager, at least that was decent.). I was yelling at the tv - how can nobody get Thatcher? Or the UN? Or that Herriot was a vet? oy.

But - it's back! and this season I'm not 3 weeks behind on the dvr... yet, at least. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Am I the only smart-ass who put down Geisel for FJ?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

davey wrote:
John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
It was Herbert Hoover.
In every pot, he said, a chicken, but Herbert Hoover he forgot, not only don't we have a chicken, we ain't got the pot!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Am I the only smart-ass who put down Geisel for FJ?
Nope. But if I were on the podium I'd have put down "Seuss" just in case I [messed] up Ted Geisel..
nightreign wrote:In every pot, he said, a chicken, but Herbert Hoover he forgot, not only don't we have a chicken, we ain't got the pot!
Hey Herbie! You dirty rat, you - Bureaucrat, you - made us what we are today!
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Count me among those who thought the date was too early for Dr Seuss, but he was all I could come up with so I'm glad I went with him.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Stark raving Mad

Post by Vermonter »

The first name that came to mind was Lewis Carroll, but I knew he was too early… couldn't shake him, unfortunately.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Vermonter wrote:
Leaper wrote:
Spoiler tags, please!
We need a 'Don't read the thread until you've seen the episode' sticky.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Onairb wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Leaper wrote:
Spoiler tags, please!
We need a 'Don't read the thread until you've seen the episode' sticky.
I meant about the book! :)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

For those of you who aren't aware, Elizabeth's response for Final Jeopardy is a reference to a classic episode of the classic television series "Cheers." In that episode, character Cliff Clavin makes the show and sees his dream board (one category is "Celibacy"). He racks up a huge lead and arrogantly wagers everything in Final Jeopardy. The category is about celebrity birth names, and it lists three such names.

He doesn't know, so he puts "Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?" That's not an acceptable response, so he is marked wrong. With that, he loses all his money and thus the game. Embarrassing!

I got quite the chuckle when I saw that response, since it reminded me of that episode!
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Leaper wrote:
Ha ha ha! I'd totally forgotten about the hats changing after hat 450. My daughter's only three; we usually don't make it all the way through the book.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

It'll be interesting to see how many got FJ. It might also be interesting to see how many of those that did, got it for the wrong reason, like several of us on here, including me. Reminds me of the time the correct response in FJ was Walt Whitman, and I got it, but was thinking of the wrong work.

Surprised to see "New Deal" be a TS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Some of us thought that FDR promised "a chicken in every pot" :(
I clammed because I wasn't sure if they wanted "new deal" or "chicken in every pot", and in doing the mental coin flip, the coin got stuck on its side. Turns out "a chicken in every pot" was Hoover, as has already been pointed out.

The only thing that gave me anything resembling pause on this FJ! was that I had heard a different origin story for The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins — something about him sitting behind a guy on a train who was wearing a funny hat. But Seuss was still the only author I could think of who had anything to do with a large number of hats. (Except Wink Martindale, but he's not primarily an author.)

Having actually read the book as a child helped. My mom's a bit of a Seuss fan, so I recall reading some of the lesser known ones like On Beyond Zebra!, McElligot's Pool, Scrambled Eggs Super! (which I also created the Wikipedia article for, since it was one of the few Seuss books at the time that didn't have one), etc.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I think the New Deal clue was written more like a Final Jeopardy. There were hints that could could get you there in 30 seconds, but not necessarily in five seconds. If the clue was THIS TWO WORD NAME WAS GIVEN TO FDR'S GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS TO GET THE U.S. OUT OF THE DEPRESSION, it wouldn't have been a triple stumper.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Nailed FJ immediately.

Cannot believe that people are still doing the Cliffy Clavin response from Cheers, 1990 episode.

"Obviously to who?" "It's OK, Cliff, as long you didn't do something foolish, like bet everything…"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My favorite is "What is I have no freaking clue?" (And I got that one right, too.)