Tuesday, September 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:Congrats, BIll.

The first thought when I saw the Orwell DD was, "Don't say doublespeak," which of course Elizabeth did.

No problem on FJ!
First thought when I saw the FJ was "don't say Paris" (more for them than me, it was an instaget here), was pleased to not see a single Eiffel Tower.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 pm

Pathetically bad board for me tonight (though not as bad as last night). I might need to go back to watching episodes during the weekend when I'm better rested. Lach Trash for Persian Gulf (really?) and since someone said the ADA was Lach Trash, I'll count that, too.

Said Lisbon for FJ, as well. Should make a heck of a poll this week.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 am

dhkendall wrote:First thought when I saw the FJ was "don't say Paris" (more for them than me, it was an instaget here), was pleased to not see a single Eiffel Tower.
My first thought was Paris, but that seemed too obvious, so I vacillated between Amsterdam and Brussels and finally chose Brussels.

ETA Congratulations, Bill!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 am

dhkendall wrote:]
I could have sworn "bolo" was the answer, and was going to come here to ask. Guess that one's genuinely wrong. :(
Yep. Bola is the weapon that looks like weights on the ends of a long cord. Bolo is best-known as either the tie or the knife.

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 am

ElendilPickle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:First thought when I saw the FJ was "don't say Paris" (more for them than me, it was an instaget here), was pleased to not see a single Eiffel Tower.
My first thought was Paris, but that seemed too obvious, so I vacillated between Amsterdam and Brussels and finally chose Brussels.

ETA Congratulations, Bill!
There was a ferry disaster about 25 years ago, on a route between Belgium and England, that came to my mind and helped me get the clue.

Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Leander wrote:I guessed Amsterdam for FJ, figuring it was closer due to being close to the North Sea vs. the inland Brussels. Didn't realize it was further north.
I guessed Amsterdam too in a coin flip over Brussels, came up the wrong way. Using an online distance calculator, Brussels is 200 miles from London, Paris 211, and Amsterdam 222. Giving the population as one million safely rules out Paris, so then you just have to either know which one is slightly closer to London or know that Brussels has over a million people while Amsterdam has 813K. Tough clue.
I went with The Hague, which is 193 miles from London but is apparently only the seat of government and not the capital. Boourns.

OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 am

Bamaman wrote:We also had our first commercial as a category with the Ghostbusters blue ray being plugged.
Also a “hidden commercial” clue. Is it my imagination, or do certain companies and products keep coming up again and again on the show? Some that come to mind are Gillette, Kellogg’s, and (tonight) Skittles; I’m sure there are others that are escaping me at the moment. I’m guessing these companies have ongoing arrangements with the producers to plug their products repeatedly in the guise of Jeopardy! clues. Has anyone else noticed this? Any more you can add to the list?
Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

—Bob Dylan

OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 am

jeff6286 wrote:Misspellings in FJ don't lead to an incorrect ruling unless they clearly change the pronunciation. Brusels, Brussels, Brusells, Brussells, any of those would be fine, and I'm sure someone could come up with a more creative or exotic spelling that the judges would also accept.
Bruxelles.
Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

—Bob Dylan

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 am

I went with Copenhagen for Final. I felt bad for Elizabeth with that TDD -- I blurted out 'doublespeak' as well. Only lach trash for me was Persian -- and I said Astronomer instead of Astronaut (d'oh). Oh well. Congrats to Bill on a strong game.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:52 am

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Bamaman wrote:We also had our first commercial as a category with the Ghostbusters blue ray being plugged.
Also a “hidden commercial” clue. Is it my imagination, or do certain companies and products keep coming up again and again on the show? Some that come to mind are Gillette, Kellogg’s, and (tonight) Skittles; I’m sure there are others that are escaping me at the moment. I’m guessing these companies have ongoing arrangements with the producers to plug their products repeatedly in the guise of Jeopardy! clues. Has anyone else noticed this? Any more you can add to the list?
We need a pavlov for product placement clues.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:56 am

dhkendall wrote:Better than mine, I don't recognize your quote at all (and I have a quite eclectic iPhone, where pressing "shuffle" might get you Katy Perry, followed by Haydn, followed by Bloodgood, followed by AC/DC followed by Claude Roget d'Lisle, followed by the theme for the A-Team....)
It's from "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz and De La Soul. I've taken a sudden interest in them after seeing repeated mentions of them here and there (one of which was a J! clue).

My interest was piqued further when I walked into a thrift store recently and said, "You know, it'd be funny if I found a Gorillaz album here now that I've found out that I like one song of theirs... nah, I never see that kind of music here. All I ever see in thrift stores is country, bubblegum pop, Christmas music, or soundtracks. I think I have a better chance at winning the lottery while being struck by lightning."

Then I walked out of the store a minute later with THREE Gorillaz albums. I'm taking this as a lesson in expecting the unexpected. (Like say, a call from Wheel of Fortune... come on, you know that's coming any day now!)
OldSchoolChamp wrote:Also a “hidden commercial” clue. Is it my imagination, or do certain companies and products keep coming up again and again on the show? Some that come to mind are Gillette, Kellogg’s, and (tonight) Skittles; I’m sure there are others that are escaping me at the moment.
That reminds me of way back when Jump the Shark.com was a thing. Users could submit opinions on when a show had or hadn't jumped the shark, and a lot of people thought that J! had jumped the shark about 10 years ago because there were so many "commercial" clues. And one guy commented that this was not a recent development — he had been on in the Fleming era (specifically the 1965 TOC) and missed a Daily Double asking for the car company whose slogan was "Ask the man who owns one".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:07 am

FireAntsDefense wrote:
JeopardyBill wrote:
South Carolina is proud, too. Say hey to Rush's and Flight Deck for me!
Will do! Two old favorites of mine, too!

JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 am

sarah0114 wrote:Bill, we had to pause the game to look up your publications so my Religious Studies grad student husband* can check them out. He wants to know if you ever go to the American Academy of Religion conference. We are rooting for you tomorrow!

* As opposed to all my other husbands who are not Religious Studies grad students.
I've attended AAR regional conferences and am a member of the AAR. I haven't yet made it to the national conference, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Bill - Was there an edit surrounding Elizabeth's Super Bowl story? It seemed like there was some kind of jump there at the end.
Not that I recall. I don't remember any more to Elizabeth's story than what was broadcast.

BobF

Post by BobF » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 am

Congrats, Bill! Took my kid to soccer practice but had my wife tape the show, so I'll see if you're somebody I recognize from June.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

earendel

Post by earendel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:04 am

For FJ! I considered Brussels, Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Of the three, the only one that fit the "million" TOM was Brussels, so that was my answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 am

Yesterday, I got alot of Lach Trash. Today, I didn't get a single TS. Maybe today's board was simply tougher?

Anyone else find it ironic that "Plastic Surgery" and "She's had some work done" were categories so soon after the passing of Joan Rivers? Yes, I realize this is all just a coincidence, and that the episodes were taped while she was still alive.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 am

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Also a “hidden commercial” clue. Is it my imagination, or do certain companies and products keep coming up again and again on the show? Some that come to mind are Gillette, Kellogg’s, and (tonight) Skittles; I’m sure there are others that are escaping me at the moment. I’m guessing these companies have ongoing arrangements with the producers to plug their products repeatedly in the guise of Jeopardy! clues. Has anyone else noticed this? Any more you can add to the list?
Based on the number of Joe Biden sightings, I'd say the Democratic Party. :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

UniquePerspective wrote:Elizabeth, we need to talk about that $1200 wager in FJ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought going for a lock tie if you're wrong isn't an awful play, though I guess 1k as opposed to a win makes a difference. Pleasantly surprised at Tess' $0 wager.

25 right again, a couple of bad categories in regular Jeopardy threw me off. Not my best start.

Also missed final. Knew it wasn't Paris like I felt would be a trap, but I (mistakingly) thought Oslo was further north enough to compensate.
If you are going for second in a lock-tie, the bet is fine. But if she had doubled up in FJ, she only gets $1,000 since they break a tie for second by who led going into FJ, they do not have co-second places like they do co-champs.

But even if she were unaware if that rule (do they cover that in the pre-game talk?), her FJ bet was very bad.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am

Put me down as another who said "bolo" rather than "bola". Maybe that needs to be a poll question?

So far this year (granted, that's a sample size of only two) my coryats have been pretty bad. But I'm perfect on FJs!
Teems with quiet fun.