FJs for the 9/15/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 9/15/14 week?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 pm

In 1937 his sister said he had "hats of every description" which he would use as a "foundation of his next book"
75%
At 200 miles, this capital of just over a million people is the continental capital closest to London
59%
In "Godspell" this character leads the company in singing, "Prepare Ye The Way Of The Lord"
63%
The Holy Roman Empire from 800 to 1806 was the first; the German empire from 1871 to 1918 was the second
84%
The title character of this 2013 film was played by David Tomlinson, who was actually seen only in clips from a 1964 film
28%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
10%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
BRIT BITS $1600: During World War I this sister ship of the Lusitania was used to transport troops & as a hospital ship
19%
FOOD $800: Used for making stocks & gravy, they're innards like the heart, liver & gizzard of poultry
42%
BORN INSIDE THE BELTWAY $2000: Noor al-Hussein was born in D.C. & became queen of this middle eastern country
74%
On Monday I got Dr. Seuss correct even though I was thinking the clue referenced "The Cat in the Hat."
30%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Amsterdam.
12%
My correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue was John the Baptist.
54%
My correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue was Judas (Iscariot).
7%
I have seen "Saving Mr. Banks", yet I still missed the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
I have not seen "Saving Mr. Banks", yet I still was correct for the Friday FJ! clue.
21%

Total votes: 145

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 9/15/14 week

Post by zakharov »

I'm very surprised that Saving Mr. Banks is polling so low. Makes me feel better about missing it.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Bartholomew Cubbins made more sense to me than Cat in the Hat, but only because 500 is in the title...
"Lisbon" because I don't visualize maps well...
Godspell was big when I was in high school and I remember most of the music, but I would never have recalled that the same actor played Judas and John, let alone that they were meant to be the same character. I worried that it was Jesus himself, but from the Biblical story John made the most sense...
Not much interest in the movie, but it got a lot of PR, it starred Tom Hanks, and friends tell me I should see it. Now that it's on cable, maybe I will, once I get through the 31 others on my DVR...
Needed a few more seconds for giblets...
mathdanmom
Valued Contributor

Post by mathdanmom »

I really should have had all 5 this week. Knew right away that 500 hats by Seuss made sense, but the year seemed too early, so (like others) switched to Hemingway for no good reason. Even thought about switching back, but just couldn't convince myself that Seuss was writing before 1940. And on Friday's I had Mr. Banks but forgot they wanted the movie title, not just the character name. I liked that movie but it took me a bit to remember the name.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

For Tuesday, I had Denmark (glad to know I had company on that, because I was feeling pretty silly when I looked it up afterwards...I best brush up on my European geography), and for Wednesday, I went REALLY early and had Moses. Never seen the musical, though the biblical TOM should have clicked. I knew it sounded familiar, but I didn't piece it together in that 30 seconds...nor do I think I would have with another 30 seconds, minutes, hours, etc.

I haven't seen "Saving Mr. Banks" yet (it came out while I was on my mission in Peru), but I've heard great things about it, I'm a huge Emma Thompson fan, so it's high on my list. Thankfully, even without seeing it, I knew enough about it to have it be a pretty quick get. Stuck with Dr. Seuss on Monday even though I knew it was too early for "The Cat In The Hat." (Thanks, Bartholomew Cubbins. :)) Thursday was a near-instaget.

Ouch on the choices for the bonus clues, Mark... :P
earendel

Post by earendel »

Off to a great start!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I haven't seen "Saving Mr. Banks" but got the clue from David Tomlinson. Also saw a recent dinner theater production of "Mary Poppins" that had a lot more about Mr. Banks than the movie did.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I didn't think Dr. Seuss clue necessarily referenced The Cat in the Hat, but that was the connection that led me to the correct response, so I checked that box "in spirit, if not in letter".
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Just discovered this poll. Good idea to compare FJ responses with the crowd. I'll check in weekly.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :oops: :( :mrgreen: :oops:
:( :oops: :mrgreen:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

After all the discussion, no poll option for "I was led away from Seuss by the early year"? I said Seuss thinking it must be wrong because I believed Seuss was still (only) a political cartoonist in 1937. But I couldn't come up with any other book about a lot of hats.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

This was my first 5/5 week in regular games - let's see if I can do this well again this season.
My guess on Wednesday was Judas, since I've seen the show and remember some sort of betrayal, not because of any biblical knowledge.
I haven't seen Saving Mr. Banks, but I have seen Mary Poppins many times.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 9/15/14 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 128 respondents:

:mrgreen: 14 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 30 got 4 FJ!s
:) 52 got 3 FJ!s
:( 20 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 12 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 0 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 3.11 FJ!s correct.

My responses went: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: / :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"Hats?!? What's this about hats??"
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Late to the party. I was chickening out on Monday but I didn't have time to change it to anything else. I don't remember what I guessed on Tuesday.