Sports Jeopardy! discussion, (Spoilers, Game 1 now up)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Sports Jeopardy! discussion, (Spoilers, Game 1 now up)

Post by Bamaman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:01 am

I'm up getting ready for work and saw the game is up on Crackle. I can't watch it right now, but I thought I'd start this thread to discuss the game. It is the same one you saw the clip of in the other thread.

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy! discussion, (Spoilers, Game 1 now up)

Post by zakharov » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:06 am

Just watched it. Observations:

-Dan did a fine job - he just needs to drop the annoying tics of saying "continue" after a TS and "Anyone?" while we wait for the buzzer.

-Boy they sure love the NBA. More baseball questions please!

-Interviews are too long, but I suppose that's the time for "Dan to be Dan." I liked the photos that people brought.

-Love the marching band remix of the theme.

-I said Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash for FJ - whoops.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 am

Watched first episode while having breakfast at McDonald's.
Patrick's hosting -- not bad.
Fell for the obvious trap on last clue in Geography.
Watching game on Kindle, first round looked like something I would normally see on a J! YouTube video, but Double Jeopardy round filled up the entire 7" screen, looking like it had been stretched out on that torture device known as "the rack". :o
Had to keep reminding myself on scoresheet (don't do Coryats, never will!) about the "250" & "750" point clues.
Could only come up with 1 of 2 needed in Final.

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:51 am

I really enjoyed the show, my favorite part was actually the post game roundtable discussion with Dan, Kelly and the three contestants. I also like the contestants saying their answer on Final Jeopardy! It looks like time was made really for more discussion with the contestants during the interview. Sort of was expecting a bigger wager from the winner, considering that he may want to put himself in good position to be in the top three.

I scored 4/4 on College Sports, British Open, Main Men and Down in Front, while worst category was UFC, 1/4.

Lach Trash: James Jones, Manny Ramirez, Cameron Diaz, D.B. Sweeney

Instaget on FJ, I guessed all three all stars

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:01 am

Is this a daily thing? A weekly thing?

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:08 am

Weekly for 52 weeks.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I had been waiting for this for a while, nice that it's finally here. Some initial thoughts:

- I like Dan Patrick, good personality, funny banter. The joking about the UFC clue reader could have come off as creepy or sexist in the wrong hands, but he seemed pulled it off.

- Lots of time during the contestant interviews. I feel that I know their whole sports fan biographies.

- The after game roundtable thing is pretty cool.

- There have been some complaints about Kelly's announcing on the Crackle comments sections. I think that she is fine, but the enthusiasm could be taken down a notch during the intros.

- Was worried that the clues would be "Stump the Schwab" level obscure, but they are were very accessible to a casual sports fan.

Lach Trash: Marine Corps Marathon (it takes place near my neighborhood), polo, Manny Ramirez (hint "eccentric"), Cameron Diaz.

FJ: Went with Bryant and Garnett.

Good to see a less obvious sport like polo made it into the first game. Maybe chess (IOC recognized) may be referenced at some point. ;) Pretty fun overall.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Just watched it. Lot of fun. Dan Patrick did a good job. At first I thought the interviews would be too long but they were nice and interesting. I also agree that the questions were not overly difficult for the most part. Can't wait 'til next week. I'd love to get on the show.
Le Flaneur

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:47 pm

rmfromfla wrote:Watched first episode while having breakfast at McDonald's.
Patrick's hosting -- not bad.
Fell for the obvious trap on last clue in Geography.
Watching game on Kindle, first round looked like something I would normally see on a J! YouTube video, but Double Jeopardy round filled up the entire 7" screen, looking like it had been stretched out on that torture device known as "the rack". :o
Had to keep reminding myself on scoresheet (don't do Coryats, never will!) about the "250" & "750" point clues.
Could only come up with 1 of 2 needed in Final.
I went bigger than Kindle or computer monitor and watched on my TV through my Playstation. I had to download a couple of files to get Crackle, but it did not take as long as one of those system updates. The show looked good.

Kelly does indeed need to take it down a notch. Dan was fine reading the clues. The extended interviews with each player having photos to share is fine for this. Regular J! is fine keeping that segment shorter.

For those that like graphics, sets, think music and credits it was all there. The post game chatter was a nice addition.

The contestants were good enough and fairly evenly matched. It will be fun when a ringer dominates to lock up a spot in the finals.

The material was the best part and I experienced equal parts of pulling out good guesses and blanking on names. I was not sure, but "eccentric outfielder" seemed like it had to be Manny being Manny. Flo Hyman was too far back for me to recall. Fine. That blank that bugged me was not having Mario Balotelli ready to go. Ugh!

Points and strange clue values reminded me of Super J!

Once a week is fine by me and I will definitely watch again. Next week I will have a proper scoresheet constructed for 48 clues and values.

For Final I had Kobe and Duncan. I can't imagine how long or how many guesses I would have needed to complete the set with Garnett.

AntmanB
Contributor

Post by AntmanB » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Dan Was fine. having only 4 clues per category isnt right but i guess they need time for the roundtable, which i loved.

I was worried that the FJ Music was going to be horrible but they actually did a good job on it.

They spent too much time on Contestant interviews.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Finally... it's here! I still can't believe Sports Jeopardy is a thing now. It's so awesome playing Jeopardy and actually being comfortable with the majority of the clues. :D

It was a little rough around the edges, but that's to be expected after the first show. I'm sure it'll get better as it goes along. The extra four minutes is nice, but the interviews felt way too long. And I'd rather have more clues instead of the "postgame interview", but oh well.

As for how I did...

9/24: 12,500 (FJ: :mrgreen:)

PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Just watched it on my 12GB (upgraded to 500GB) PlayStation 3 after my 250GB one I had since Christmas 2009 died eight months ago - and let me just say that this version is awesome despite the fact the board shows points instead of dollars, kind of like SJ! (Super Jeopardy!) in 1990.

In my 26 (27 in 2015) years of watching the series as a whole, I've seen most versions of J! (Tournament of Champions, Teen Tournament, Seniors, College, Million Dollar Masters, etc.) except for Jep!

In the UFC category, I got Ronda Rousey, Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture - and ironically, when someone mentions the UFC, those are the only three names that come to mind.

Here's to (hopefully) Sports Jeopardy! having a long run for years to come online. :D
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. NBA, MLB, and golf are the only 3 sports I follow, so I was happy that they were well represented within a good overall distribution. The clues were very well written and hit a good difficulty level. I don't remember there being a tennis question, surprisingly, but with 52 episodes there will be plenty of time.

I liked Dan's reading of the clues, but I am not so sure that I liked how he said the correct responses on triple stumpers. He came off as kind of condescending on "Manny Ramirez" and 1 or 2 others, though I am sure that it wasn't on purpose.

I got FJ. Kobe Bryant came right away and Duncan and Nowitzki sprang to mind about 5 seconds later. Luckily, I picked the right one. Steve Nash also came to me as a possibility, but not Kevin Garnett.

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Glad to see the UFC represented, sad (but not surprising) to see that the contestants do not know their MMA.

laxtarheel

Post by laxtarheel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I was in the audience for the taping of this one and was surprised to see it as the first one shown. This was NOT the first one taped by any means (I think they had had a few days of taping already - this one was taped on Sunday, August 24), so they have decided to show them out of taping order, I guess for maximum drama? There's no reason they can't, since the shows don't build on each other, but if it seems like the wagers don't make sense at the end (knowing what the other games' outcome was), that's what is going on.

FWIW, the actual Schwab was in the audience for this particular taping. He was just in the regular audience area and not in the family/friends area. Jimmy pointed him out so he wasn't going incognito either.

TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm actually going to be on the show on December 10th, so maybe I can offer some additional insight.

I just finished watching the episode and I thought it was pretty great. They really mix the questions up with all kinds of mainstream and obscure sports (they did with mine and the other four episodes they taped that day, too) and Dan is really great. He was a natural at doing the interviews and putting everyone at ease. They encouraged us to joke with him and have a good time, and I think that will come across well. I don't get the criticism of Kelly, yeah she's enthusiastic but that's what they're going for.

The interview portion of things was especially fun, and they actually cut a lot of it out of this episode. Maybe they're saving some of it for online? There was a pre-game interview that Kelly did with each contestant individually in the booth, then there was the post-game interview that we got to see. There's also a winner's circle interview for whoever wins the game that wasn't shown here. I really liked the whole "Bring a picture of yourself" idea that they had, and it was fun to see everyone in their Little League or Pee Wee football uniforms and talking about it.

The whole aspect of having one show and you're done, unless you have a top three score for the season, makes for a difficult conundrum with wagering and strategy. Being top three out of 50 winners seems like a long shot, so I imagine most people will just be playing for the win. The people that tape their shows early next year, after having watched a bunch of these, will definitely have a decided edge in knowing what they're up against.

I hate having to wait a week to watch these, and especially to wait three months to see mine air! Even if I didn't make the cut to get on the show, I'd have been watching every episode regardless.

TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 pm

I just checked Sports Jeopardy's website, and they actually have the pre-game interviews available to see there. There's also a photo gallery and contestant bios, plus a standings page that will be updated each week. I'm impressed with how they've put everything together.

amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:41 pm

I liked it. Too much chit chat, but I'll take any sports game show I can get. I loved The Cutoff category.

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 pm

With the exception of the Jones category, I wondered why they were giving first names when they didn't have to. On J! they usually don't. Is the rule different for sports?

I knew about the left fielder backing up on the throw to third because I've seen a few players do it. It's a long way to run followed by a long run back to left and hardly anyone notices.

amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 pm

It's also the only one that really makes sense. I was surprised they didn't get it.