Friday, September 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6905, 2014-09-26

CONTESTANTS
Alan Lange, an actuary from Sarasota, Florida
Tod Macofsky, a massage therapist from West Hollywood, California
Catherine Hardee, a hotel front desk clerk and recent college graduate from Kinston, North Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, folks.
All right, great champion in Catherine Hardee. She's on a roll, won three days in a row. Tod and Alan, you have your work cut out for you. But let's see what happens.
Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC NAMES (5/5)
SLANG (5/5)
GENERAL SCIENCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WE LOVE "R" MUSIC (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response beginning with the letter "R".)
A ROSE GARDEN (5/5)
FIX THE CAR (NAME) (5/5) (Alex: [*] by giving the correct synonym for the incorrect word in the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Tod: 9 R, 0 W
Alan: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catherine found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Catherine had $6,000, Tod had $1,600, and Alan had nothing in the bank. Catherine wagered $2,000.

GENERAL SCIENCE $600: An abnormal fear of water, it's also another name for rabies

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Catherine: $8,000
Tod: $1,600
Alan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alan Lange is an actuary from Florida who has a prized possession --a signed note from...
Alan: From Muhammad Ali.
Alex: On what occasion?
Alan: On the occasion of my wedding. My parents were flying from Seattle out to Hartford to attend my wedding, and he was on the same flight, and he did a handwritten congratulatory note for my wife and I.
Alex: Little bit of serendipity.
Alan: Exactly.
Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Tod Macofsky is from West Hollywood, California, and currently touring the country in what kind of a musical?
Tod: It's an anti-bullying musical. It to teach kids not to bully each other, uh, which it's a big problem now, especially with social media, so we --we do a week of outreach to the kids and then perform a musical at the end of the week.
Alex: Mostly for kids of what age?
Tod: We do, uh, high school kids, also middle school kids, and we also do outreach to future teachers, uh, to teach them to know the signs of bullying.
Alex: Yeah. Okay. Well, good work. Keep it up.
Tod: Thanks.

Alex: Catherine Hardee is our champion. She's won a ton of money already --$58,000. She already knows how she's gonna spend part of it, and it has to do with a famous, uh, movie series.
Catherine: Well, I've always wanted to see New Zealand ever since I first saw The Lord of the Rings movies. It looks so incredibly, breathtakingly beautiful, and it's a place I've always wanted to go, and it looks like I might have the resources to do that.
Alex: And they have a tour for The Lord of the Rings...
Catherine: Yes, they do.
Alex: So you can visit some of the sets, and...
Catherine: Yes.
Alex: Yeah, it's a great country. A lot of sheep And a lot of cattle.
Catherine: [ laughs ]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENERAL SCIENCE $1000: Fog doesn't come on little cat feet, but it can come on one of these 7-letter low-level clouds
(Alex: And that would be a [*], not cumulus.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Catherine: $9,800
Tod: $4,200
Alan: $4,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TEXAS, HOLD 'EM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: A gambling category I guess...or is it?)
CLASSICAL LITERATURE (4/5)
WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? (4/5)
4-LETTER OPPOSITES (4/5)
DANIEL RADCLIFFE (4/5)
& THE CATEGORY OF GEOGRAPHY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Catherine: 9 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Tod: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Catherine had $9,800, Tod had $4,200, and Alan was at $4,400. Alan wagered $3,500.

& THE CATEGORY OF GEOGRAPHY $800: The greatest north-south distance of this South American country is 2,731 miles; east-west, 2,684
(Alex: Yes, site of the World Cup this year and the upcoming Olympics.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Catherine had $14,200, Tod had $6,600, and Alan was at $15,900. Alan wagered $1,000.

TEXAS, HOLD 'EM $1600: In 1966 an appeal's court reversed the murder conviction of this Dallas inmate, but he died in January 1967
(Alex: Yes, the man who shot Lee Harvey Oswald.)
[less than a minute to go]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4-LETTER OPPOSITES $1600: Flee:
part of the head
(Alan: What is stay?)
(Alex: You don't flee--you stand and you [*].)

WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? $400: It's the website where Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin announced their separation
(Tod: What is Facebook?)
(Catherine: What is TMZ?)

DANIEL RADCLIFFE $1600: It wasn't just another day at the office for Daniel when he guested on "Extras", starring this British comic as Andy
(Alex: Comic is [*].)

CLASSICAL LITERATURE $1600: This Roman satirist whose name sounds like a word meaning "childish" asked, "but who is to guard the guards?"
(Alex: And his name is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $18,900
Catherine: $18,200
Tod: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Alan: Wager $17,501 to cover Catherine. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $4,301.
Catherine: Your score is within 4/5ths of Alan's, so wager between $1,401 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), beating Alan's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Tod's part.
Tod: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Catherine, but if Catherine decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $5,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1936 at age 79, he published an article in Esquire Magazine in which he described hos to pick a jury

FINAL SCORES
Tod: $6,600 + $5,900 = $12,500 (Who is Clarence Darrow?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Catherine: $18,200 + $18,200 = $36,400 (Who was Darrow?) (New co-champion: $36,400)
Alan: $18,900 + $17,500 = $36,400 (Who is Darrow?) (New co-champion: $36,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $16,800, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Catherine: $16,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tod: $6,600, 15 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Catherine: 23/59 = .390
Alan: 19/60 = .317
Tod: 16/58 = .276
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC NAMES $600: She didn't see the revolution coming, resulting in her death at age 46 in 1918.

FIX THE CAR (NAME) $400: The Buick Park Boulevard
(Alan: What is the Regal?)

GENERAL SCIENCE $800: (Sarah demonstrates the clue in the science lab)
The sideways pull of the hoop won't generate enough friction to pull the cap along with it. So the cap drops, showing an object at rest staying at rest, or this 7-letter concept.

A ROSE GARDEN $1000: Follow this 3-word rose that ostensibly works well as a ground cover.

& THE CATEGORY OF GEOGRAPHY $1200: In January 1855, 15 years after the founding of what's now this New Zealand capital, it suffered an 8.2 earthquake
(Tod: What is Aukland?)
(Alex: You're gonna go there--all right!)

& THE CATEGORY OF GEOGRAPHY $1600: Over 9,400 feet, Maromokotro is the highest point on this island 250 miles east of Africa's mainland
(Tod: What is Mozambique?)
(Alex: Yes, Mozambique's on the mainland.)

& THE CATEGORY OF GEOGRAPHY $2000: This Alaskan peninsula's name is a homophone for what you may need to spot it on a map
(Alex: [*]--you need a keen eye. Correct.)

WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? $1200: Abdul Haq Wasiq & 4 colleagues were heading home in 2014 in exchange for this American
(Tod: Who is...ah...sorry.)

DANIEL RADCLIFFE $800: In 2011 Daniel filled the shoes of Robert Morse & Matthew Broderick admirably, giving us the "business" in this B'way show
(Catherine: What is The Producers?)

TEXAS, HOLD 'EM $800: Yolanda Saldivar, who murdered this singer in 1995, is doing life at Mountain View in Gatesville
(Alex: That's the person.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
hydrophobia
stratus cloud
Brazil
Jack Ruby
face
goop.com
Ricky Gervais
Juvenal
Clarence Darrow
Alexandra (of Russia)
the Park Avenue
inertia
Yellow Brick Road
Wellington
Madagascar
Kenai
Bowe Bergdahl
How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying
Selina

JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 pm

SpoilerShow
What a great game of Jeopardy! Fantastic performances from the champions! Notice the plural.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Famous Americans
In 1936 at age 79, he published an article in Esquire Magazine in which he described how to pick a jury.

SpoilerShow
Who is Clarence Darrow?

Alan Lange: $18,900+$17,500=$36,400...now co-champion with a 1-day total of $36,400
Catherine Hardee: $18,200+$18,200=$36,400...now co-champion with a 4-day total of $95,201
Tod Macofsky: $6,600+$5,900=$12,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 pm

CO-CHAMPIONS? Ugh. Now why did he do that? For $1 more, he could have sent Catherine packing. If he had been wrong, it would have made no difference. Personally, I would prefer Catherine be retired than to have to compete against her a second time.

The word "jurist" is generally reserved for judges in American usage.

Would the judges have accepted my 4-letter answer of LEAN as a way to serve meat that is the opposite of copious? Merriam-Webster says copious is "very large in amount or number."
My philosophy: We watch for the game. Players who get in the way of the game intrude, whether they're arrogant or adlib or cackle or fidget or make noise or are rude to AT. We want those who just play the game and don't make it about themselves to win.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:56 pm

I started with Darrow but changed to Holmes because I thought Darrow was much younger than that. Turns out he was older than Bryan.

Sorry, Keith, but I am not offering a tie to a three day champion. His lowball DD bet nearly cost him the game as she made a late run to almost pass him at the end. I didn't get her all in bet, either.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

Tygor
Contributor

Post by Tygor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:34 pm

The FJ wagers were borderline shady. How do you offer that to a three day champ that you know is fairly strong? It actually smells kinda fishy, although I'm sure it wasn't.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Ummmmm... I guess Alan likes my state, too? I got nothing. :shock:

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Not sure if i saw the wording of the clue correctly, but the phrase, although commonly mis-spelled, is "just deserts", and has nothing to do with "desserts".

I would not have offered the tie either.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Vermonter is crying with joy right now. It is interesting that the wager to tie tactic is getting flack all of the sudden. Vermonter says something I've come to agree with regarding this in that if Catherine knows you wager for the tie, it's easier for her to do bad wagers, like her's tonight. Also, does it really matter about another person? You personally just won over $36,400, definitely be happy for that.

Missed final. Couldn't zoom in on a judge in the time frame so said Marshall.

Brazil seemed particularly easy for a DD, or really an $800 clue at all.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:33 pm

This was a great game! Alan might regret wagering just enough to tie Catherine if she bet it all (which she did), since she's a proven champ. The word "desserts" was spelled as "deserts" in one clue. I got 32 clues correct including "Ricky Gervais" and FJ. I think there will be very few 5/5's in the FJ poll for this week.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Leander wrote:Not sure if i saw the wording of the clue correctly, but the phrase, although commonly mis-spelled, is "just deserts", and has nothing to do with "desserts".
It was spelled correctly, with the single 'S'.

Instaget FJ and there is NO WAY IN HELL that I am offering a tie to Catherine unless I had no choice.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Monday will offer an object lesson on why offering a tie to a multi-day champ is...unwise (unless wagering strategy suggests otherwise). Should I welcome her to the TOC now, or is that bad form? This seems like a slam dunk.

Instaget FJ.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:01 pm

32 out of 60.

Historic: 5 Slang: 2 Science: 2 "R": 3 Garden: 1 Car Names: 1
Texas: 4 Lit: 2 Sound: 3 4-Letter: 2 Radcliffe: 3 Geography: 4

Lach trash: "Ricky Gervais"

The first person I thought of for FJ was H.L. Mencken (I was thinking that it was a satirical piece), but I decided to go with Darrow. FJ record this year: 5 right, 5 wrong.

vreddy92
Contributor

Post by vreddy92 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 pm

It'll be interesting to see what his reasons were for that. Maybe trying to prevent being underbid by a dollar in the event of a triple stumper?

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:09 pm

I got FJ, but had a brief moment of hesitation when I thought "would they really have Clyde Barrow as a response during DJ and Clarence Darrow as a response during FJ?"

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:27 pm

floridagator wrote: Would the judges have accepted my 4-letter answer of LEAN as a way to serve meat that is the opposite of copious? Merriam-Webster says copious is "very large in amount or number."
I said the same thing and was coming on to ask a judges' ruling. (I think it'd be negged at first, but could easily stand up on appeal).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Catherine was great and I'm still rooting for her.

Alan's wagering was... interesting.

FJ was an Instaget. Nice to get a couple of FJs in a row after the "Swan Song" debacle.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

When wagering to tie is less attractive

Post by Vermonter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Here's what I wrote in my analysis:
The Final Wager wrote:Now, I must admit there’s less of a reason to offer a tie in this particular situation. If Catherine thinks you’re going for the tie, you’ve done your job; there’s no harm in adding the extra dollar against Catherine (unless you’re afraid of the 5,200 wager out of Tod, which it appears he was trying to do, but messed up the math).

The tie wager relies in large part on whether subsequent players know you’ll offer it. This was the last game in a taping session; at most two potential opponents – the alternate(s) for that day – will have seen that you’ve offered the tie in the past.
That said, it was a fantastic game, and I'm looking forward to the rematch!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Nobody's allowed to look at my poll selection tomorrow. (Went with WJB, though in retrospect Darrow is far more obvious.)

Not sure why he offered the tie, but no complaints here. I mean, is it just me or is our champion getting a bit lovelier every day? If she hits any significant type of run I'll have to switch to audio only.