Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6918, 2014-10-15

CONTESTANTS
Regina Cabrera, a nonprofit communications director from Monrovia, California
John Campbell, a romance novelist from Weymouth, Massachusetts
Shane Curtis, an assistant professor from Lansing, Kansas (whose 3-day cash winnings total $42,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Our returning champion is a gentleman. He's quiet. He's laid-back. He's also a good Jeopardy! player. So, John and Regina, you've got to be at your very best today. Good luck to you, guys. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round comes first, as always, and these are the categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DECADES OF ASIAN HISTORY (4/5)
WHICH SANDWICH? (5/5)
SURROUNDED BY WATER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV GUIDE SAYS (4/5) (Alex: You identify the show for us.)
NO RUSH (4/5)
JUST "MBLE" ALONG (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shane: 13 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
John: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Regina: 5 R, 5 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Shane had no money, John had $400, and Regina had nothing in the bank. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $400.

SURROUNDED BY WATER $400: In 1869 Africa became completely surrounded by water with the opening of this

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Shane: $3,400
John: $2,600
Regina: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Regina Cabrera is from Monrovia, here in Southern California. She's a married lady. And got married in something that I have never heard of before --a destination wedding. What is that?

Regina: We did a destination wedding. Our families are all over the country, but the one state nobody lived in was New Mexico. So we decided, "Why not get married in the Land of Enchantment?"

Alex: And when did this wedding take place?

Regina: About eight weeks ago.

Alex: And did you do a lot of sightseeing in the area while you were there?

Regina: Well, my husband, Tim, and I --we picked it because we took a vacation through the Southwest and stayed there for a week and just loved it and just decided that's really where we should go.

Alex: Good for you. Much success to you in life.

Regina: Thank you.

Alex: John Campbell is a romance novelist, and he got into that for a specific reason. Why?

John: At the time, I worked for a nonprofit. The important part being "non"-profit, and I was trying to scrape together enough money to buy an engagement ring for my wife. [turning and waving to the audience] Hi, honey. And so I had joked about writing a romance novel for years and ended up putting one together. And that book ended up paying for the engagement ring. And the next one paid for the wedding. And I've been doing it ever since.

Alex: Terrific. Good.

Alex: Okay, we come to Shane Curtis, our champion. A member of the International Plastic Modelers Society, which means...?

Shane: Yes, sir. It's not as impressive as it sounds, but it is impressive. It's a group of people who build plastic models, just like everybody used to when we were small. Most of us got away from the hobby, and now we do it. I build primarily aircraft and armor models.

Alex: That's what I did as a child, also, but I made them out of wood, too. Strombecker models. Do you remember those?

Shane: Yes, sir. It's a classic.

Alex: Oh. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV GUIDE SAYS $200: "An abandoned building is rigged to explode with McGarrett and Danny trapped inside"

NO RUSH $800: If you arrived in Dawson in 1899, you were too late for the gold rush named for this Yukon river
(Regina: What is the MacKenzie?)

DECADES OF ASIAN HISTORY $800: Mao Zedong dies

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Shane: $7,000
John: $4,000
Regina: -$400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHEN IN ROME... (4/5)
HEALTH & MEDICINE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY (5/5)
PULITZER PRIZE DRAMA WINNERS (4/5)
NICKNAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SOUND OF MONEY (3/5) (Alex: And each correct response will sound like "money".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Shane: 5 R, 0 W
Regina: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Shane had $10,200, John had $16,400, and Regina was at $2,000. John wagered $1,600.

HEALTH & MEDICINE $1200: In 1911 a Swiss psychiatrist coined this term for a withdrawal into one's inner world in patients with schizophrenia
(John: What is lock-in?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Regina who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Shane had $10,600, John had $18,400, and Regina was at $2,800. Regina wagered $2,000.

NICKNAMES $1200: Once known as the Napoleon of the West, he did mess with Texas

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SOUND OF MONEY $400: It can mean strange as well as amusing

THE SOUND OF MONEY $2000: A coarse jute fabric

PULITZER PRIZE DRAMA WINNERS $2000: Ketti Frings won in 1958 for her adaptation of this Thomas Wolfe novel

WHEN IN ROME... $2000: Get an "E" for effort pointing out this ancient hill of Rome where you can see the Santa Maria Maggiore church

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $20,400
Shane: $12,200
Regina: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDPLAY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $4,001 to cover Shane, but no more than $10,799 so as not to fall behind Regina's doubled score.
Shane: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force John to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Regina.
Regina: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Subtract a letter from the name of a keystroke found in computer commands & you get this violent reaction to social change

FINAL SCORES
Regina: $4,800 - $0 = $4,800 (What) (2nd place: $2,000)
Shane: $12,200 - $12,200 = $0 (What is upheaval?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $20,400 - $4,000 = $16,400 (What control) (New champion: $16,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $22,000, 24 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Shane: $12,200, 18 R, 1 W
Regina: $4,000, 10 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 24/60 = .400
Shane: 18/58 = .310
Regina: 10/59 = .169
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SURROUNDED BY WATER $600: The Laguna Madre Estuary separates this 130-mile-long island named for a Spanish priest from the South Texas coast

SURROUNDED BY WATER $800: This peninsula that makes up over 15% of Greece's area is separated from the Greek mainland by a canal
(Regina: What is Crete?)

SURROUNDED BY WATER $1000: More than 30 islands make up this small Arab nation surrounded by the waters of the Persian Gulf
(Regina: What is Brunei?)
(Shane: What is United Arab Emirates?

WHICH SANDWICH? $1000: Philippe's in L.A. claims to have invented this dunky sandwich

NO RUSH $400: The black bog rush became scarcer when these lands, which include bogs, marshes & fens, began to vanish in Britain
(Regina: What are rush lands?)

NO RUSH $600: Starting in 2012 Yale & Princeton banned fraternity rush for these students
(Regina: What are fraternities?)

NO RUSH $1000: Declaration signer Dr. Benjamin Rush quit this army led by Washington over its hospital management
(John: What is the Army of the Potomac?)

DECADES OF ASIAN HISTORY $200: Hong Kong is returned to China
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go.)

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $400: The registry includes a 1924 recording of "Rhapsody In Blue" with this composer at the piano
(John: Who is Gershwin?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $2000: This pianist's trio introduced jazz to millions of new fans with the soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
[Applause for John's run of the category.]

WHEN IN ROME... $1600: Enjoy this landmark completed in 1762. Rumor has it, if you throw a coin in, you'll return to the city

HEALTH & MEDICINE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) When you're fighting an infection, you may notice the glands get swollen, as the ones in the neck do with strep throat. They belong to this system that helps provide immunity
(Regina: What is the limbic system?)

HEALTH & MEDICINE $2000: First isolated in 1910, this chemical released by the immune system can cause itching & swelling in an allergic reaction
(Alex: That's right, with a minute left.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Suez Canal
Hawaii Five-0
the Klondike River
the 1970s
autism
General (Antonio López de) Santa Anna
funny
gunny
Look Homeward, Angel
the Esquiline Hill
backlash (from "backslash")
Padre Island
the Peloponnesus
Bahrain
the French dip
wetlands
freshmen
the Continental Army
the 1990s
George Gershwin
Vince Guaraldi
the Trevi Fountain
the lymphatic system
histamine
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Wordplay
Subtract a letter from the name of a keystroke found in computer commands & you get this violent reaction to social change.

Spoiler
What is backlash? (from backslash) Regina had no guess; Shane said upheaval; John said control.

John Campbell: $20,400-$4,000=$16,400...now a 1-day champion with $16,400
Shane Curtis: $12,200-$12,200=$0
Regina Cabrera: $4,800-$0=$4,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

Regina is a pub quiz friend; I'm looking forward to seeing how she does. She's got a nervous energy that seems equally likely to help or hurt her, the way I see it. Good retroactive luck, Regina!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you take the word "shift" and subtract one letter, you get a word I often say during a violent reaction.

Judges? :lol:
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Bamaman wrote:If you take the word "shift" and subtract one letter, you get a word I often say during a violent reaction.

Judges? :lol:
I gotta tell you, shiFt was the only one I came up with. Knew that couldn't be it, but got stuck in the shift rut and couldn't get out. Surprised no one wrote that down :o
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Another hot game! Wow! I think J! would be more popular if more games were like this. And more popular still if they good avoid placing those dud contestants. FJ was an instaget for me. I think the key was to start with the violent reaction to social change and work backward to the computer keystroke. Starting by thinking through computer keys is going to lead to grief.

By the way, backslash is not used in web addresses. The Internet uses only forward slashes. Backslashes are used in internal computer addresses, e.g., C:\MyDocuments\JeopardyGames\S31\October\Runaways\
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I didn't like FJ... I don't think of a backslash as a "computer command". "Punctuation mark" would be more appropriate... at least to me, anyway.
seaborgium wrote:Regina is a pub quiz friend; I'm looking forward to seeing how she does. She's got a nervous energy that seems equally likely to help or hurt her, the way I see it. Good retroactive luck, Regina!
Looks like it hurt her. :(

She seems smart enough, obvously... but I just don't think she's built for this game. "Nervous energy" is a perfect way to describe it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

John played a solid game. During Regina's interview, I was surprised when Alex said he had never heard of destination weddings. I got 27 clues correct including Hawaii Five-O. I got FJ with about 5 seconds left and finished writing down "backlash" just as the think music was ending.
Last edited by Abraxas on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I didn't like FJ... I don't think of a backslash as a "computer command". "Punctuation mark" would be more appropriate... at least to me, anyway.
And backlash is not the first thing that comes to mind for me as a violent reaction to social change. I thought this was yet another bad FJ clue.

I saw this clue in the NY Times this morning and got it, but only after about 6 hours, not 30 seconds.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Leander wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I didn't like FJ... I don't think of a backslash as a "computer command". "Punctuation mark" would be more appropriate... at least to me, anyway.
And backlash is not the first thing that comes to mind for me as a violent reaction to social change. I thought this was yet another bad FJ clue.

I saw this clue in the NY Times this morning and got it, but only after about 6 hours, not 30 seconds.
I went through Control (nothing), Alt (nothing), Shift (something?), Tab (nothing)...

I don't think I would have gotten "backslash" even if you did give me 6 hours.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

floridagator wrote:Another hot game! Wow! I think J! would be more popular if more games were like this. And more popular still if they good avoid placing those dud contestants. FJ was an instaget for me. I think the key was to start with the violent reaction to social change and work backward to the computer keystroke. Starting by thinking through computer keys is going to lead to grief.

By the way, backslash is not used in web addresses. The Internet uses only forward slashes. Backslashes are used in internal computer addresses, e.g., C:\MyDocuments\JeopardyGames\S31\October\Runaways\
Another pet peeve of mine. It's not a forward slash, it's just a slash.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What is with computer commands and FJs? We recently had a control alt delete FJ.
I concur that FJ is poorly worded.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Coincidently, "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" airs tonight on my same channel that airs Jeopardy. Impressive get by John, "Vince Guarldi", I thought I would have Lach Trash on that one for sure. ;)

Lach Trash: Klondike. That's it.

Good game overall by all players. Some tough clues there.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Rhyme Time: Violent reaction to unanswered clues that one answers correctly oneself at home.

(I'm going to argue that mine is the correct old-world pronunciation).
I'm smart and I want respect.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Keystroke name, yes. But I cannot name a single computer command (let alone more than one -- the FJ clue used the plural) that uses a backslash.

And Vanya is completely correct. There is no "forward slash"; there is slash and there is backslash.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boo, hiss. Dreadfully poor clue. How is a backslash a command?

And poor Regina was just nervous as all get-out and just couldn't get the buzzer mojo going. Unfortunately, I'm sure we didn't see her at her best, Seaborgium.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Definitely a better game, got to see all the clues, and some better quality play, Shane was stronger this time but had real competition. Scored 34 + FJ.

Fewer TS, of which I scored Hawaii 5-0 (!how can you miss?!), 'Funny' = strange and also amusing, Mao died in 1970's, Klondike. Clam on 'Look Homeward Angel' by Thos Wolfe.

Wondered why on this particular clue for 'Rhapsody in Blue' Alex asked to be moar specific on 'George' Gershwin; perhaps b/c Ira Gershwin collaborated with him on this piece?

Surprise blunders: Ben Rush was a contemporary of Ben Franklin and the Revolutionaries, so he would have had to resign from the Continental Army; To enlist in the Army of the Potomac he would've been well over 100 by 1861, eh? Took three tries to get Bahrain, although admittedly this clue was pretty vague, I first wondered if they meant Qatar, seemed like they meant a peninsular country; silly flub to mix up 'limbic' with lymphatic system, poor girl! She knew it too, you could see her say "DOH!" She made up for it on recognizing Santa Anna, gj! Not enough for the win though.

IDK how I got the FJ it was a totally dumb---t silly clue about PC keyboard trash trivia, I see mental image of the /\ keys like this; \/ /\ \/ /\ >slash...lash? front>back? Backslash...>backlash? Could that really be it? Seems so stupid... but it is all I got... IDK but times up so just put something... OMGosh it's right!

Please give us a real category for the next week of FJ's, these stupid puzzles are so lame. Sigh. I could've watched Wheel to see that trash...
Last edited by goatman on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

Couple years ago I flew to India for three months on a job. When I got back the first thing I ate was a French dip. Probably the greatest moment of my life was when Liz replied to the first text I sent her, but the one I just described is definitely second.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Boo, hiss. Dreadfully poor clue. How is a backslash a command?
To be fair, the clue said "a keystroke used in [...] commands", not a command in and of itself.

But still...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.