Monday, October 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6921, 2014-10-20

CONTESTANTS
Emma King, a legislative analyst from Washington, D.C.
Frederick Foster, a retired actor from Las Vegas, Nevada
Alexander Persaud, a Ph.D. student in economics originally from Dubuque, Iowa (whose 1-day cash winnings total $6,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Good audience. I love it. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, as another week gets underway here at Jeopardy! Frederick and Emma, nice to have you joining us. Good luck to all three of you as we go into the Jeopardy! Round. First of round of play with one Daily Double. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JUST DESERTS (5/5) (Alex: ...not desserts.)
COUNTRY MUSIC (2/5)
TIME FOR A FLAT CIRCLE (5/5)
LETTERS FROM WRITERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JEWELRY (2/2)
MAKING "ENCE" OF IT ALL (5/5) (Alex: "E-N-C-E" coming up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emma: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Frederick: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Alexander: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Frederick found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Alexander had no money, Frederick had $200, and Emma was at $800. Frederick wagered $1,000.

LETTERS FROM WRITERS $400: To F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925: "We are going in to Pamplona tomorrow. Been trout fishing here"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Emma: $3,600
Frederick: $1,400
Alexander: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Emma King is a legislative analyst, which means she has a connection with politics, and on a personal level, as well. Tell us about that. You were elected or nominated?

Emma: I was accidentally elected. Um, I--

Alex: Accidentally?

Emma: [Chuckles] My parents wrote me in as a write-in candidate, um, in a very small town, um, where we lived in Pennsylvania, um, for a local election for township auditor. And turns out I won.

Alex: And how old were you at the time?

Emma: I was 18, but I was away at college, so we never actually got the letter. Uh, it came in a stack of mail that was set aside till I next came home, and by that point, it was too late, so I never actually served.

Alex: Oh, that's too bad. Run again.

Alex: Frederick Foster, retired actor from Las Vegas who once drove a Miss Daisy. Tell us about that, please.

Frederick: I did. I, uh... The late, great Julie Harris was appearing in the title role of Driving Miss Daisy in a theater in which I was working. She needed to get to the next venue. She did not like to fly. So it was my happy chore to drive her to the Kennedy Center. I had called ahead to get directions. She didn't know that. And, uh, so I knew the main entrance was under construction. She began to fuss at me when it became apparent I was not going there, and I finally reassured her by saying, "Now, Miss Daisy, I'm trying to take you to the Piggly Wiggly."

Alex: [Laughs] Only an actor would think of coming up with that line.

Alex: Alexander Persaud is our champion. He's a Ph.D. student in economics who is also a big cricket fan. Do you play?

Alexander: I do play cricket.

Alex: What position?

Alexander: Um, sort of an all-arounder. Um, not very good--sort of a lower, tail end of the batting order. Um, can do a little bit of leg spin and off-spin, as well.

Alex: And where do you do most of this playing?

Alexander: I actually played in college a little bit.

Alex: Really? Where?

Alexander: Um, in Minnesota.

Alex: You think of Minnesota, you think football, hockey, basketball. Cricket? No. Okay. Well, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY MUSIC $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew steps out of the bluebird cafe in Nashville, TN.) Many a country singer got his start at Nashville's Bluebird Cafe, including this "Friends In Low Places" superstar
(Emma: Who is George Strait?)

COUNTRY MUSIC $800: "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" was a big country hit for this former lead singer of Hootie & the Blowfish

COUNTRY MUSIC $1000: She's not only been a mentor to Kelly Clarkson--in 2013, she became Kelly's mother-in-law

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Emma: $5,000
Alexander: $3,800
Frederick: $3,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JOUST DESSERTS (5/5)
COMIC BOOKS (2/3)
THE BALKANS (4/5)
YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM (4/5)
A "B" IN AMERICAN HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CONTRONYMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alexander: 12 R, 2 W
Emma: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Frederick: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Frederick snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Alexander had $10,200, Frederick had $4,600, and Emma was at $6,200. Frederick made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,600.

A "B" IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: A governor's failure to stop Indian raids prompted this 1676 rebellion led by a Virginia planter
(Alex: Frederick?)
(Frederick: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Emma who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Alexander had $17,400, Frederick had $2,000, and Emma was at $9,400. Emma wagered $5,000.

CONTRONYMS $2000: To ask for professional advice, or to give it
(Emma: What is to dole?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BALKANS $400: This nation's name reflects its long history as a province of an ancient empire
(Alexander: What is the Hun Empire?)
(Frederick: What is the Ottoman Empire?)
(Alex: "What is [*]?" We're going for the country's name.)

YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM $2000: 1890s heavyweight champ James Corbett was better known by this posh nickname

COMIC BOOKS $2000: Also a ring bearer, Sinestro is chiefly a foe of this "colorful" superhero
(Emma: Who is the Green Hornet?)
(Alex: You got him. [End-of-round signal sounds.] No, sorry; [*], not the Green Hornet. The Green Hornet is my era.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alexander: $17,400 (lock game)
Frederick: $4,000
Emma: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Alexander: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Frederick: Wager $2,401 to cover Emma.
Emma: Risk between $801 and $1,600, covering Frederick's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A chapter heading in this 19th century work calls the title character "one-eyed, lame", another calls him deaf

FINAL SCORES
Emma: $3,200 - $3,199 = $1 (WHAT IS MOBY DICK) (3rd place: $1,000)
Frederick: $4,000 + $3,000 = $7,000 (WHAT IS THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alexander: $17,400 + $2,600 = $20,000 (What is the Hunchback of Notre Dame?) (2-day champion: $26,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alexander: $17,400, 17 R, 3 W
Emma: $8,200, 18 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Frederick: $8,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Alexander: 18/58 = .310
Emma: 18/59 = .305
Frederick: 13/60 = .217
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JUST DESERTS $600: Canteens empty! I'm going to perish in the Chihuahuan Desert!--but look, it's this 1,900-mile-long river!
(Frederick: What is the Nile?)

JEWELRY $200: The name of these items strung on necklaces comes from the Old English word for "prayer"
(Alexander: What are pearls?)
(Frederick: Oh, what are... [stammers])
[Alex stammers imitatingly.]

TIME FOR A FLAT CIRCLE $400: The modern version of this instrument began as part of 18th century Turkish Janissary bands

MAKING "ENCE" OF IT ALL $400: An experience that seems like it happened for a reason but was really just accidental
(Alex: That's it, with a minute to go.)

TIME FOR A FLAT CIRCLE $1000: In 1979 the mint elected to put her on $1 coins
(Emma: Who is Sacagawea?)

TIME FOR A FLAT CIRCLE $800: A product from this tech company is represented here

JEWELRY $1000: In 2010 a diamond bracelet owned by this wife of the ex-Edward VIII fetched $7 million at auction, a record for a bracelet
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE BALKANS $800: It's been a tough past few decades for this Balkan nation, the former leading Yugoslav republic

THE BALKANS $1200: There was an ancient kingdom of this name; its western part is today a country of the same name bordering Greece

THE BALKANS $1600: The northwesternmost Balkan nation, it shares an Alpine terrain with its neighbors Italy & Austria

THE BALKANS $2000: Part of several empires in history, this nation had a taste of independence in 1878

CONTRONYMS $400: To add dry particles, or to remove them lightly with a cloth
(Alexander: What's a dab?)

CONTRONYMS $1600: Nasty this we're having; it can mean to withstand & to wear away
(Alex: That's right, with a minute to go.)

COMIC BOOKS $800: Real name Harleen Quinzel, this gal fell in love with The Joker

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ernest Hemingway
Garth Brooks
Darius Rucker
Reba McEntire
Bacon's Rebellion
to consult
Romania
"Gentleman Jim"
the Green Lantern
"The Hunchback of Notre Dame"
the Rio Grande
beads
a tambourine
a coincidence
Susan B. Anthony
Mozilla
Wallis Simpson
Serbia
Macedonia
Slovenia
Montenegro
to dust
weather
Harlequin

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Literature
A chapter heading in this 19th century work calls the title character "One-eyed, lame", another calls him "deaf".

SpoilerShow
What is The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Emma said Moby Dick.

Alexander Persaud: $17,400+$2,600=$20,000...now a 2-day champion with $26,000
Frederick Foster: $4,000+$3,000=$7,000
Emma King: $3,200-$3,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 pm

I always root for an older contestant and was hoping Frederick would make a game of it, but lost out on the DD. But he did come in second and really seemed to enjoy being there.

Close to instaget on FJ.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Good game! Frederick was just plain annoying. He was constantly smiling, using too many words (both a frequent contestant and AT faux pas lately), and his shirt was strobing! I could definitely have warmed to Emma. It's too bad both of them threw the game away on DDs, Frederick because of hubris; Emma because her back was against the wall and her shirt tail was on fire.

The contranyms category was very tough! I don't go for that "Joust Desserts" kind of silliness, but the desert and Balkans categories were both enjoyable. Whyever was Hungary the only country titled on the maps? It isn't even a Balkan.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Frederick looked like a cross between Paul Harvey and the Smilin' Bob Enzyte guy.

Surprised myself by running Deserts.

Of course I also ran Country Music... Come on, you don't know Garth?!? To be fair, I thought the clues were a bit tough, so I can understand the other two TSes.

What led to pancakes on Flat Circle for $200? That was my only miss.

Also what led to Dickinson at $200? Puzo was my only get there.

DJ! didn't like me, with only 3 right. Desserts and Balkans were completely over my head. I think I could've gotten Contronyms with a bit more thought, but after so many "huh?"s I think my brain crapped out.

Can't say I've heard of the Boston Massacre.

That Harley Quinn (mmm... Harley Quinn...) clue was almost Stupid Answers level. I was hoping for a Guardians of the Galaxy clue, but they ran out of time.

Hunchback? Nah, he's not one eyed or deaf or lame, just hunchbacked. Gotta be someone else... Long John Silver?!? That's twice now that I've switched from a right answer of Hunchback to a totally WRONG answer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

floridagator wrote:Whyever was Hungary the only country titled on the maps? It isn't even a Balkan.
It wasn't, but they were using it as a point of reference.
floridagator wrote:Frederick because of hubris
Why is that hubris? if you're comfortable with the category, that's pretty much to only wager to make.
TenPoundHammer wrote:That's twice now
I don't think that word means what you think it means ...

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Unlike floridagator, I instantly warmed to Frederick, and I think it was his smile. And I'd be willing to make it a True Daily Double (and then some) that it was Frederick's constant smiling that made Maggie and the CCs take notice and call him (I'm betting he didn't wait long either) - just a note for floridagator and other Frederick-haters.

(I think it was also the fact that Frederick reminded me a lot of John Mahoney (most famous from Frasier), looks-wise. I was a bit surprised to hear a tenor voice come out of Frederick when I already had a close resemblance to Mahoney (a baritone) in my mind.)

Well, TPH is probably happy today. Probably several SAotDs from him too. TPH: since you do this so, so, so, so, so, so, so many times to us, maybe we can ask you, what was the key to knowing the clues in the Country Music category (or were some of them just that you had to know X sang Y?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:44 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:That's twice now
I don't think that word means what you think it means ...
Huh? How is that wrong?
dhkendall wrote:TPH: since you do this so, so, so, so, so, so, so many times to us, maybe we can ask you, what was the key to knowing the clues in the Country Music category (or were some of them just that you had to know X sang Y?)
$200: "The Band this": The Band Perry is the only act I know whose name follows that naming pattern, and they're the most famous sibling group right now
$400: "Friends in Low Places" was a huge huge hit, and arguably Garth's most famous song, and I assume everyone knows who Garth is
$600: Female singer famous in the 70s, Dolly Parton is a good bet
$800: Darius was lead of a famous 90's band. You can get this one if you know your rock acts of the 90's, or if you know that Darius is the second most famous African American in country music
$1,000: Kelly and Reba have worked together a lot. I think Kelly's marriage got some publicity.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:44 pm

"What is dick?"

hehehehehehehehehehehe

(I am 12)
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

CandiceT

Post by CandiceT » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Frederick was there during my taping and he was instantly likeable -- you could tell he was just really enjoying himself and happy to be there.

FJ was an Instaget for me... for the first time in a few days!

Twitter is already cracking up at Emma's "What is dick?" and also "What is Moby Dick?" answers :)
Just another Jeopardy! loser!

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm

dhkendall wrote:what was the key to knowing the clues in the Country Music category (or were some of them just that you had to know X sang Y?)
I, too, ran the category, so maybe I can help. Some of them were pretty much you had to know X sang Y (Dolly, Garth), but the others were items you would hear in general entertainment news (something I run across without looking for). For the $1000 clue, it was big news in the music industry when Kelly Clarkson got married, so Reba's name was all over the place. Regarding the Band Perry, they're young and hip, so many people know their name.

ETA: Oh, yeah, Darius Rucker - quite well known from Hootie, just as much as any lead singer, which is a fairly regular category.

Regarding the retronyms category, I said counsel instead of consult. Judges?

And one more thing - the "ence" category, I thought I heard the champ say omniscient rather than omniscience. Did I hear him incorrectly, or did they not catch it?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

mennoknight

Post by mennoknight » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:52 pm

At least Frederick got to deliver the show's famous catch phrase: "Alex, I would like to wager all of my money."
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Memo to the writers: discus isn't a sport; it's an event within a sport.

billiej

Post by billiej » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

zakharov wrote:"What is dick?"

hehehehehehehehehehehe

(I am 12)
What was funny wasn't the respond but rather her demeanor when she said it. THAT cracked me up, it was like she really thought she was saying something dirty. :lol:

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also what led to Dickinson at $200?
There was a one-woman show about Emily Dickinson called The Belle of Amherst. The first woman to portray Dickinson in that drama was Julie Harris, the woman from Frederick's story.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 pm

38 right.

Desert- 3; Music- 2; Flat- 4; Letter- 3; Jewelry- 1; "Ence"- 2
Joust- 2; Comic- 3; Balkans- 5; Jim- 4; "B"- 5; Cont- 4

Lach trash: "Garth Brooks", "Darius Rucker", "Green Lantern", "Romania", "Bacon (DD)", "Gentleman Jim", "consult (DD)"

Instaget FJ. I warmed up to Frederick, and was kinda hoping he would win.

The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

I missed FJ in the most pathetic fashion.

"Let's see... one eye, deaf... must be deformed... Quasimodo? Oh wait, that's not the title... must be someone else..." :oops:

Considering I missed the FJ late last season about Quasimodo as well, I should really make a note and read the novel in case I get on the show.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

That was a very odd FJ clue. I did get it, but only because I knew guessed that that's what their intended response was. There is no title character (except maybe a building) of Victor Hugo's novel.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33 pm

bpmod wrote:That was a very odd FJ clue. I did get it, but only because I knew guessed that that's what their intended response was. There is no title character (except maybe a building) of Victor Hugo's novel.

Brian
Well, technically, "The Hunchback" is the character and in the title. But I agree with you that it was odd.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca