SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Paucle wrote:So, was the flour gluten or all-purpose? I didn't see how you could make bread removing all-purpose flour, but had never really heard the term "gluten-flour" either, just "gluten free."
I answered "All-purpose" because it's had the germ and bran removed, but of course the germ and bran have much more in them than simply protein. I rejected "gluten-free" as the answer because I couldn't recall ever hearing of "gluten-free" flour. Google shows me that such exists as a specialized subset of All-purpose, so we'll have to see what DoT was looking for.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I don't recall the rules about who gets into the SHC tournament of champions, but I get the feeling I may end up on the outside looking in after the last few days of clues. Seems to me I've made the SHC ToC each of the last four years or so.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I don't recall the rules about who gets into the SHC tournament of champions, but I get the feeling I may end up on the outside looking in after the last few days of clues. Seems to me I've made the SHC ToC each of the last four years or so.
I made it just the first year I played (I think it was 2007) and still don't know how; I haven't come close since.
As it was, i knew I wouldn't be able to put the time in (had a long vacay upcoming) so I yielded my spot to the next highest (Rex, if I recall correctly). My thought was, "This was easy, I'll just do it next year." Henh. Not so much.
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

Woof wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:The Canadian whistle question (especially the distinctive pitch) was a reference to this:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-FFW.html

Still reviewing rugby whistles. Comments welcome.
Interesting. According to Wkipedia (always an unimpeachable source of information, as you know) the Fox40 is a pealess whistle (and used in basketball, football, etc.)
As your resident Referee/Umpire/Official, I'll take this one: the Fox40 company makes a number of whistles. It's certainly most famous for it's "Classic," which is a pea-less whistle used by (American) Football, Basketball, (most) Soccer, and many other officials. However, the Fox40 company also makes the Force, the official NHL whistle, which does have a pea; all ice hockey officials (at least at any kind of high level) use an ice hockey whistle, usually the Fox40 Force or an ACME Thunderer 59.5; ice hockey whistles have peas and a slightly lower-pitched, "chunkier" tone than other whistles.

This concludes today's episode of "Things you never had any interest in knowing about officiating."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thanks, DoT for once again bringing my favourite category in the SHC ("You Are The Category"). Despite not having a chance of ever appearing in it, I was getting worried I wouldn't see it for a minute there.

Made the sting of Days 5 and 6 a bit better ...

(Coming from a city where the biggest buzz is about the logo of our NHL team being quite heavily tied to the military (even the uniform colours are), the only answer that came to mind for the 9 point on day 5 was "Jets", and I knew that was wrong ...)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I could only get 2 answers in the B&A category - the two highest-value ones!

Due to my disinterest in TV, I've never heard of Bored to Death. I've heard of the Flower Drum Song, but probably wouldn't recall it even if spotted "flour/flower", which didn't cross my mind. And I may or may not have heard of "Dear John"...
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Still trying to figure out where the politician fits in on John Deere/Dear John -- almost put Edwards in, as someone who should have recieved one (but, as far as I know, or care to know, did not).

And dhkendall -- the new Winnipeg sweaters and logos look fantastic -- but why didn't the NHL reshuffle it's divisions? Winnipeg in the Southeast is bizarre. Put them in the Northwest, Nashville in the Southeast and Minnesota goes back to the Central -- or, as a certain sportscaster is fond of saying , the "always humorous Norris Division."
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

seaborgium wrote:I'm no superstar, but R6D5 is the first set of clues this SHC I feel kicked my butt!
My butt has gotten well accustomed to being kicked here, but I agree that one was extra bad.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Still trying to figure out where the politician fits in on John Deere/Dear John -- almost put Edwards in, as someone who should have recieved one (but, as far as I know, or care to know, did not).

And dhkendall -- the new Winnipeg sweaters and logos look fantastic -- but why didn't the NHL reshuffle it's divisions? Winnipeg in the Southeast is bizarre. Put them in the Northwest, Nashville in the Southeast and Minnesota goes back to the Central -- or, as a certain sportscaster is fond of saying , the "always humorous Norris Division."
As a former Atlanta Thrasher employee, I can explain this - the move happened too late to accommodate such a major restructuring in time for the 2011-2012 season. The teams will be re-aligned next summer, though I think it's more likely that Detroit will move to the Eastern Conference rather than Nashville - the Preds are in the Central division simply because they're in the Central Time Zone.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Still trying to figure out where the politician fits in on John Deere/Dear John -- almost put Edwards in, as someone who should have recieved one (but, as far as I know, or care to know, did not).
I believe that that's a reference to the later stages of John Deere's life, when he served as mayor of Moline, IL. Or maybe not... :?:
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alamble wrote:

As a former Atlanta Thrasher employee, I can explain this - the move happened too late to accommodate such a major restructuring in time for the 2011-2012 season. The teams will be re-aligned next summer, though I think it's more likely that Detroit will move to the Eastern Conference rather than Nashville - the Preds are in the Central division simply because they're in the Central Time Zone.
Never good to hear about someone losing their job like that, alamble -- I don't know all the particulars about the Thrashers' move, but long-time members of both these boards know how I feel about teams being yanked away from supportive fan bases. Atlanta may have been, like Cleveland, caught in the business of old crimes coming back to haunt totally unintended victims. It's almost Aeschylean with the way we invest emotion in this stuff.

It'd be wrong-headed -- which means the NHL would do it -- to put Columbus or Detroit in the East simply because of time zones. Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota make a nice tight little group, as would Tennessee, DC, Florida and Carolina.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Okay, now that I've gotten to the Instant Replay Thread and read the answers, I have to say (a) I am unhappy with R6D6Q9, and (b) I am surprised that no one else has brought this up:
9: Wheat protein removed from an Oscar & Hammerstein musical based on a book by C. Y. Lee.
When I saw the answer was "Gluten-free flour/Flower Drum Song", I was first bothered because the "gluten-free" was clued, but there's nothing in there cluing "flour". I think Before & After clues have to have fair angles of attack from both ends, so that if one side doesn't come to you, you still have a fair shot at getting it from the other. I got "gluten" (gluten-less? gluten-free?) from the clue, but couldn't even think of a musical that started with anything like a homophone of "free" or "less", and wasn't looking for anything past "gluten-free" because it doesn't appear in the clue.

Also -- and this is the part that the prior silence surprises me about -- "Oscar & Hammerstein"? That didn't throw anyone else? I just figured it was a really obscure work done with another collaborator. Of course, if I had come up with gluten-free flour, I might have clicked from the homophone, but see above.

I can't say, though, that that rises to the level of needing a replacement clue, unless there is someone else out there who was thrown off for similar reasons.

Rex
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

What Rex said. I gave up quickly trying to think of musicals that started with a homophone of "deglutenized."

Didn't even notice Oscar. Just read it as Rogers & Hammerstein. Funny how the mind works...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Rex Kramer wrote:
9: Wheat protein removed from an Oscar & Hammerstein musical based on a book by C. Y. Lee.
When I saw the answer was "Gluten-free flour/Flower Drum Song", I was first bothered because the "gluten-free" was clued, but there's nothing in there cluing "flour". I think Before & After clues have to have fair angles of attack from both ends, so that if one side doesn't come to you, you still have a fair shot at getting it from the other. I got "gluten" (gluten-less? gluten-free?) from the clue, but couldn't even think of a musical that started with anything like a homophone of "free" or "less", and wasn't looking for anything past "gluten-free" because it doesn't appear in the clue.
From a quick perusal of what little I know of the Rodgers & Hammerstein catalog, I hit on the flour/Flower Drum Song convergence, but didn't pursue it further because, well, the cat was already kicking my rear, and flour isn't a protein. I assumed I was looking in the wrong place and gave up. Thus my desperation with Glu-Tang Clan. I'd agree that the wording in the first half doesn't point well toward flour.
Rex Kramer wrote:Also -- and this is the part that the prior silence surprises me about -- "Oscar & Hammerstein"? That didn't throw anyone else? I just figured it was a really obscure work done with another collaborator. Of course, if I had come up with gluten-free flour, I might have clicked from the homophone, but see above.
I noticed it, but more in an amused, "Oh, DoT goofed, poor guy isn't feeling well" kind of way, after which I assumed he'd meant Rodgers and [Oscar] Hammerstein. The whole cat had already thrown me so badly, but I got past the Oscar glitch.

Maybe we need a clue about a movie based on a Joy Adamson book about lions who enter the world devoid of wheat protein.
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bengland wrote:Didn't even notice Oscar. Just read it as Rogers & Hammerstein. Funny how the mind works...
Ditto.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

reddpen wrote: ...the cat was already kicking my rear...

The whole cat had already thrown me so badly...
Maybe it's time to take him to the pound? ;)
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Bacchus or Dionysus? Or are both acceptable? (I answered everything else, I think, in the Greek tradition, but somehow ended up in Rome for that one.)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I assume the second half of 6/6/15 is a line from the play/movie? No way to parse that without having actually seen it, which I couldn't admit to even if I had...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:I assume the second half of 6/6/15 is a line from the play/movie? No way to parse that without having actually seen it, which I couldn't admit to even if I had...
It is, I haven't, IMDb.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Rex Kramer wrote:Okay, now that I've gotten to the Instant Replay Thread and read the answers, I have to say (a) I am unhappy with R6D6Q9, and (b) I am surprised that no one else has brought this up:

Also -- and this is the part that the prior silence surprises me about -- "Oscar & Hammerstein"? That didn't throw anyone else? I just figured it was a really obscure work done with another collaborator. Of course, if I had come up with gluten-free flour, I might have clicked from the homophone, but see above.

I can't say, though, that that rises to the level of needing a replacement clue, unless there is someone else out there who was thrown off for similar reasons.

Rex
I agree that the clue was incomplete because nothing in the first half pointed to flour. I wrote before that flour/flower never came to me.

I noticed "Oscar" but understood it was an error and assumed it was supposed to be Rogers.

Unfortunately, I estimate the probability that I would have gotten the answer if the clue had been without error at 10% or less.