Friday, October 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6925, 2014-10-24

CONTESTANTS
Sam Heft-Luthy, a college student from Seattle, Washington
Amy Thon, a museum development assistant from Tempe, Arizona
Matthew LaMagna, a digital consultant from Arlington, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A word of advice to our newcomers, Amy and Sam--Matthew is good, so be careful today. Here we go. Into the Jeopardy! Round. Fair warning. And now the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1809 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ADJECTIVES (4/5)
COLLEGE TEAM NAMES (5/5)
THE BIG BLANK THEORY (5/5)
STRIKE A (YOGA) POSE (4/5)
VOGUE (5/5) (Alex: And finally, a whole category about [*] magazine.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amy!: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sam: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matthew: $6,600
Sam: $1,600
Amy!: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sam Heft-Luthy is from Washington. He's a college student who earns money from doing well on Jeopardy!

Sam: [Chuckles] Yeah, in more ways than one. When I was growing up, I think my parents wanted to raise a nerd, so the thing that they did was they paid me 10 for every response that I would get correctly, and they said they were gonna be doing that today, so...

Alex: They are.

Sam: Hopefully, I win at least a dollar.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Amy Thon is from Tempe, Arizona. You have a special kind of blog. I want to hear about it.

Amy: Yes, I do. Well, it is ranking the United States' presidents based upon the attractiveness of their official White House portraits.

Alex: Aha. Not on their attractiveness as demonstrated in photographs, but on the--

Amy: Not yet. [Chuckles]

Alex: --the--the portraits.

Amy: Correct.

Alex: Now, who are the ones at the top of the list?

Amy: Currently, it's James Madison, but he's gonna have to watch out for Franklin Pierce.

Alex: Okay. Thank you.

Alex: Matthew LaMagna is our champion, and we introduced you as a digital consultant, which means your work involves what?

Matthew: Well, what my work involves is a lot of data analysis and social media--uh, understanding how people are communicating online.

Alex: Are we spending too much time communicating online and not enough time communicating in person?

Matthew: Well, I think it's a good mix of both in the way that the 21st century is evolving.

Alex: Yeah?

Matthew: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You haven't met my kids.

[Matthew laughs.]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matthew found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Matthew had $8,600, Amy! had $800, and Sam was at $800. Matthew wagered $3,000.

1809 $800: In May Mary Dixon Kies became the first American woman to receive one, for a way to weave straw with silk or thread

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ADJECTIVES $800: It's the 12-letter adjective meaning characteristic of the comedy of the man seen here
(Sam: What is Vaudvillian?)
(Amy: What is slapstick?)
(Alex: The performer is Charlie Chaplin, so the word we were going for was [*].)

1809 $600: Pope Pius VII excommunicated this French leader, so he had the Pope arrested

STRIKE A (YOGA) POSE $800: The tree pose, in which you stand on one leg, can help relieve this disorder of the longest nerve
(Matthew: What is the sciatic nerve?)
(Alex: Sciatic nerve or... nope.)
(Alex: You misunderstood a little bit of the clue. We were going "this disorder of the longest nerve", so [*] is what we were going for.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matthew: $11,200
Amy!: $2,000
Sam: $1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEOGRAPHUN (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD LITERATURE (3/5)
AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS (3/5)
CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE (5/5)
LIBRARIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FINISH THE C.P. ABBREV. (3/5) (Alex: I'll give you an example. It can save your life. The correct response would be, "what is resuscitation?" Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthew: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 7 R, 1 W
Amy!: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matthew snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Matthew had $12,000, Amy! had $2,000, and Sam was at $1,800. Matthew wagered $3,000.

LIBRARIES $1200: The library of this type of institution in Norfolk, Massachusetts made Malcolm X the thinker & orator we know
(Matthew: What is a university?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amy! who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Matthew had $13,400, Amy! had $2,400, and Sam was at $3,400. Amy! wagered $1,200.

GEOGRAPHUN $800: 7 mini-kingdoms make up this federated nation on the Persian Gulf

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FINISH THE C.P. ABBREV. $1600: In the Navy, you can sail the 7 seas with this rank

FINISH THE C.P. ABBREV. $2000: It's insurance-speak, so we'll give you the "CPC" (Chartered Property & Casualty) but this "U" is up to you

GEOGRAPHUN $1200: The Damrei Mountains, Chaine de l'Elephant in French, extend north in this country from the Gulf of Thailand
(Sam: What is Vietnam?)
(Amy: What is Laos?)

GEOGRAPHUN $2000: This body of water west of England & south of Scotland covers about 40,000 square miles

WORLD LITERATURE $1600: Last name of the life-loving Alexis, "the Greek" in a novel by Nikos Kazantzakis

WORLD LITERATURE $2000: His "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" was banned in his native Czechoslovakia until 1989

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $2000: Rita Dove was the first African American to serve in this government post, from 1993 to 1995

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $1200: In 1950 Juanita Hall became the first African American to win a Tony, for playing Bloody Mary in this musical

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matthew: $16,600
Sam: $8,600
Amy!: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TONY NOMINATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Matthew: Wager $601 to cover Sam, but no more than $5,399 so as not to fall behind Amy!'s doubled score.
Sam: You have the hope of surpassing Matthew if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,001 to force Matthew to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Amy!.
Amy!: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Although she has appeared in only 2 Broadway musicals, she got Tony nominations for both, for 1962 & 1964

FINAL SCORES
Amy!: $5,600 - $3,100 = $2,500 (Who is Julie Andrews?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sam: $8,600 - $8,001 = $599 (Who is Midler???) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matthew: $16,600 - $600 = $16,000 (Julie Andrews?) (2-day champion: $33,800)
(Alex: I Can Get It For You Wholesale and Funny Girl.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matthew: $17,400, 24 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: $8,600, 11 R, 3 W
Amy!: $5,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matthew: 24/60 = .400
Amy!: 13/59 = .220
Sam: 11/58 = .190
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLLEGE TEAM NAMES $1000: They sail for Vanderbilt University
(Alex: You know your college team names. Well done!)
[Applause for Matthew's running the category]

1809 $1000: President Madison appointed this future president as United States Minister to Russia
(Sam: Who is Monroe?)

LIBRARIES $1600: In a pun on TGV, the name for a high-speed train, France's new national library is called the TGB -- Très Grande this.

FINISH THE C.P. ABBREV. $400: A numbers guy
(Alex: Yes, CPA.)

GEOGRAPHUN $1600: (Sarah points to a map)
Though it's 3,000 miles wide, China has only one time zone. At 2,500 miles wide, Australia has three, and the one used in this state Is the same one for all of China.

CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $800: (George Stephanopoulous presents the clue)
It's been said that Sam Seaborn on this TV drama was based on me, but actually, my job was a bit more like Josh Lyman's

AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS $400: Messman Dorie Miller was the first African American awarded the Navy Cross for bravery at this place, December 7th, 1941.

CORRECT RESPONSES
a patent
chaplinesque
Napoleon
sciatica
a state prison
the United Arab Emirates
Chief Petty Officer
underwriter
Cambodia
the Irish Sea
Zorba
Milan Kundera
poet laureate
South Pacific
Barbara Streisand
the Commodores
John Quincy Adams
bibliothèque
accountant
Western Australia
The West Wing
Pearl Harbor

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Tony Nominations
Although she has appeared in only 2 Broadway musicals, she got Tony nominations for both, for 1962 & 1964.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Barbra Streisand? Amy and Matthew said Julie Andrews; Sam said Bette Midler.

Matthew LaMagna: $16,600-$600=$16,000...now a 2-day champion with $33,800
Sam Heft-Luthy: $8,600-$8,001=$599
Amy Thon: $5,600-$3,100=$2,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 pm

This has been a crappy week of FJs for me, and seeing that category made me feel like the J! gods were trying to kneecap me. Thankfully, 1962 and 1964 were dead giveaways, so this was pretty much instaget.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 pm

This was another good game for Matthew. Matthew answered "sciatic" and was negged when the clue said "this disease", but neither of the other contestants rang in with "sciatica." I got 34 clues correct including Napoleon, underwriter, South Pacific, and FJ.
xxaaaxx wrote: Thankfully, 1962 and 1964 were dead giveaways, so this [FJ] was pretty much instaget.
This is the same reason I got FJ.

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 pm

I wonder if those swimming in the contestant pool are getting annoyed with all of the wagers to tie that are occurring this season. Slot after slot after slot disappear.
Last edited by cf1140 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Amy's Hometown Howdy posted on Youtube and at the SOny site this week was her "returning champion" howdy, which didn't end up spoiling a win after all.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 pm

An Arlington resident moves ahead again.

Lach Trash: prison, Irish Sea, Zorba

I'm no Tigershark when it comes to knowledge about musicals, but Instaget FJ.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 pm

34 right.

1809- 5; Adjective- 3; Team- 5; Blank- 4; Yoga- 0; Vogue- 2
Geo- 3; Lit- 2; African- 2; Character- 4; Library- 3; C.P. - 1

Lach trash: "Chaplinesque", "Napoleon"

I settled on Julie Andrews after considering her and Angela Lansbury, but it was to no avail.

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Ryno wrote:I'm no Tigershark when it comes to knowledge about musicals, but Instaget FJ.
I checked Jeopardy.com this morning, and this was actually not an instaget for me. I first thought Julie Andrews. Then I said, but it might be Barbara Streisand. Thought about it for a second, and then remembered the time Julie Andrews refused a Tony nomination in the late 90's, plus she's been in more than two Broadway shows, so I knew it couldn't be her. Anytime Jeopardy has question that seems like a really random trivia fact, the answer is almost always someone or something really famous or well-known. They wouldn't ask a question like that if the answer was obscure.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Lach Trash: Chaplinesque, sciatica.

Took a swing for the run in Adjectives, but my mouth outran my mind and I said bicameral instead of bipartisan at $1,000.

I thought Yoga was totally imepentrable outside sciatica, so I was surprised that it was the only TS of the bunch.

Estonia = Baltic seemed rough at $400.

Streisand briefly came to mind, but my lack of knowledge left me dead set that she was as wrong as could be. Wait, was Funny Girl even a musical, or was that just a movie? Whatever it was, it wasn't THAT far back, was it? And I'm pretty sure that was her only one. Nah, it's gotta be someone else. Why even put a name down?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 pm

This Matthew guy is killing me. Let's hope that over the weekend he was taken back to CONTROL where they recharged his hydrogen fuel cells, tweaked his frozen facial servos and upgraded his personality kernel.

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I knew it couldn't be Julie Andrews because Victor/Victoria was 90s or late 80s, so I went with Rita Moreno. I knew she had a Tony but wasn't known for Broadway musicals, and in fact it turns out she's only done one,but no Tony nom for it - Gantry, 1970, playing Sharon Falconer. (I'm seeing another musical based on the same story, Elmer Gantry, next week at Signature Theater.) Her Tony was from a Terrence McNally play called The Ritz.

Didn't get the answer because I have a blind spot where Streisand is concerned - not a fan, the info hasn't stuck. If you'd asked me what shows she was in, I would've known Funny Girl and might've come up with I Can Get It For You Wholesale - though easier to get Streisand from that show than vice versa for me. (Show about the garment trade - but looking it up now is the first time I see that her song "Sam, You Made the Pants Too Long" is not from that show, as I'd thought.) But two of her musicals that I knew were movies, I thought were also Broadway shows with her (Funny Lady and On a Clear Day You Can See Forever -- the first was a movie only, the second was a musical starring someone else, before she made the movie).
Last edited by periwinkle on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:41 pm

I surprised myself by going 4/5 in the College Mascots category. I had no idea on Texas Tech, but the other four were easy enough.

When I saw the DJ categories I thought that it would be my dream round. I should have known better. I did get the Lach trash on Kundera, and was very disappointed that he was a triple stumper.

FJ was one where I wouldn't bet to cover from the lead when second place had more than 2/3 of my score, but this one turned out to be an instant get for me. My 12th grade English teacher had us watch Funny Girl in class, so that helped me out.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Interesting game, and Matthew is impressive, grinding along.

Something odd struck me with that CP... category. One clue said something to the effect that with this rank, you could sail the seven seas. The answer that was accepted was CPO, which stood for Chief Petty Officer. So why not CPT, the abbreviation for Captain? Or was it because that the third letter had to be a standalone word?

FJ was my nemesis, Barbra Streisand, which I got... this time.
periwinkle wrote: Didn't get tonight because I have a blind spot where Streisand is concerned - not a fan, the info hasn't stuck.
Yeah, tell me about it. Will no one rid me of this meddlesome singer?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 pm

jeff6286 wrote:Tony Nominations
Although she has appeared in only 2 Broadway musicals, she got Tony nominations for both, for 1962 & 1964.
Ah, this is a category that would have tempted me to risk a Clavin. Shockingly, not an instaget as I initially focused on winners for those years: Carol Channing (nope), Vivien Leigh (only one musical)...Anna Maria Alberghetti (again, only one)...Diahann Carroll? Then I realized she was probably NOT a winner either time. Streisand, of course! First nomination was in the supporting category (lost to Phyllis Newman). Then she lost best actress to Carol Channing (for Hello Dolly). But she had her revenge by winning the movie role over Channing.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm

I thought FJ would be trouble for contestants when they missed' bloody Mary' .
Random guess of Streisand for me:)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

BADuBois wrote:Something odd struck me with that CP... category. One clue said something to the effect that with this rank, you could sail the seven seas. The answer that was accepted was CPO, which stood for Chief Petty Officer. So why not CPT, the abbreviation for Captain? Or was it because that the third letter had to be a standalone word?
Due to the tragic events in Ottawa this week, our TV screen has had the abbreviation CPL (Corporal Nathan Cirillo, whose son is in my nephew's kindergarten class, being the casualty) showing almost constantly. So it was that that was the first thing I thought of, but then realized that, indeed, the third letter had to stand for a word, and I switched to CPO just in time.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Matthew seemed a little more relaxed tonight, I guess cruising a wheelhouse to start the game helped.

No chance for me on FJ. Babs has come up before in FJ, I think, but not for me here. Wrote down Angela Lansbury just to have something.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Nice work by Matthew to begin play in the College Team Names and then run it as well. Sam's buzzer position and reactions did not give enough indication to know whether he was trying on those. At least by the end of the DJ! round he had done enough to prevent the lock.

4 triple stumpers I had time to note were Napoleon, Zorba, Kundera and South Pacific. Those are the kind that someone at viewing parties would pick up. The Blood Mary clue getting by the players was a tip off that the FJ! category might not go well for the players. Not that it mattered for wagering as Matthew had to bet 600 (or 601) and Sam had to bet a lot. Amy at least can try to grab from the J! site her "returning champ" howdy for remembrance.

Anyone have the Google-fu to find her presidential portraits blog?

Earlier in the week I had my snow in hell moment running Country Music. Tonight it was pigs flying when I went 5/5 in Yoga. I don't how I did it unless I picked those things up from the Wii Fit. Or previous J! clues.

The FJ! category was one to make me feel like I should do some warm-ups during the break to have my brain ready. I wrote the first five plays that came to mind:

Cats, Phantom, Death of a Salesman, Iceman, Pygmalion

and the first five people names that came to me:

Audra McDonald, Betty Buckley, Chita Rivera, Stephen Sondheim and I had a blank for at least a minute on the fifth name I wanted. Corky's mom, Life Goes On...What is her name? I was starting to panic early the clue would be about her and I would not be able to dig the name. I relaxed and considered I could not be that unlucky. Seconds later...Patti LuPone. Whew!

I saw the clue and wrote Streisand immediately thinking of Funny Girl and that other one I was glad I did not need to name. Babs talked about them when she was the Mystery Guest on a What's My Line? I caught a while back on GSN. I knew she had got into movies later in the 1960s and had done concert tours, but had no bell ringing for more Broadway.

As time was going the devil was on my shoulder saying Julie Andrews, Julie Andrews. I did not know enough about her career to know it was more than 2 appearances only, but I had a very strong instinct she had started in the 1950s. I put the pen down to make sure I did not get tempted into a last second switch.

It's funny to read the comments how those of us with lesser stage knowledge may have solved the clue quicker than those with the stage expertise having more things to consider. I'm happy to have got out of the week with the 60% instead of the 40%.