Alex at the Hollywood Bowl

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Alex at the Hollywood Bowl

Post by pinkfreud » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Recently I won an online trivia contest. The prize was a trip to Los Angeles! While my husband and I were in LA we stumbled into a one-time event at the Hollywood Bowl, "The Big Picture: AFI's Great American Movie Quiz," hosted by Alex Trebek on Sunday, September 4th. The show was wonderful (and cheap, since we sat in the nosebleed seats). The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra played fairly lengthy excerpts from many movie scores while video screens displayed scenes from the movies, and the audience held up colored glow sticks to answer multiple-choice questions asked by Alex (the questions were easy, with one exception). Alex looked great. He joked that when he arrived and asked for a place in which to stow his crutches while he was at the microphone, he was given a bassoon stand, which worked fine. He mentioned that when one of his friends learned that Alex was going to be hosting this event, the friend gave him the traditional wish for good luck in a performance, "Break a leg."

Here's a photo. Alex is the tiny little guy in the white suit, lower left:

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Re: Alex at the Hollywood Bowl

Post by JyV92 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:08 pm

It was a lot of fun. And I was there with some jeopardy royalty, believe it or not, brad rutter was there too.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 pm

JyV92 wrote:It was a lot of fun. And I was there with some jeopardy royalty, believe it or not, brad rutter was there too.
Welcome back Jerome! Everyone's been wondering where you were.
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm

JyV92 wrote:It was a lot of fun. And I was there with some jeopardy royalty, believe it or not, brad rutter was there too.
Jerome, you are some Jeopardy! royalty.

Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 am

So what was the question for that multiple choice?

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Wimple wrote:So what was the question for that multiple choice?
I don't remember the exact phrasing of the question, but it had to do with Dimitri Tiomkin's use of a simple folk tune as a recurring theme in his score for a Hollywood western movie. The answer was High Noon, in which "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh, My Darlin" was prominently featured.