Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jjwaymee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Who got the Eisenhower sick/market down clue right?
Not me. I agree, that was a clue that could have used a bit more TOM. I was vaguely aware that Ike suffered a heart attack during his Presidency but the aspect of "panicking the stock markets" suggested to me that it was a more recent President.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:20 am

JemRiffster wrote:Ran Antisocial Science and "Trip". Only got one in Just Sit Right Back... :oops:

Lach Trash: Survivalism, Hancock, and Barbados.
Bamaman wrote:
I also started with Adam and Eve, but quickly shifted to the serpent. I wondered if they'd take Satan (or some variation) and my curiosity was satisfied. But I don't think the serpent is specifically said to be Satan in the Bible.
That's correct, or least it is in the two versions of Genesis I've read (King James and New Revised Standard).
I concur; the first mention of Satan by name isn't until 1 Chronicles 21:1 (KJV). I suspect there might have been a stop-tape before the reveal while they worked that out. A quick search on Bible Gateway gives at least one version that uses Satan for Genesis 3:1 (Amplified Bible)

And, given that The Bible has gone through several language translations along the way, they might have felt lenient on this.
MarkBarrett wrote:Who got the Eisenhower sick/market down clue right? I will blame the players zero for trying President Bush on that one.
I did. Ike was known for having heart issues (1955), which he'd originally had kept hidden -- remember, this was when (a) a physically strong President was important for national morale, especially when dealing with Khrushchev, and (b) heart attacks were views as a sort of death sentence, even if it was a lingering one, because the treatments were not what they are today.

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 am

The only heart attack Eisenhower had that I knew of was the one in 1955. Was the 'they thought it was a heart attack but it turned out to be indigestion' incident after that?

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 am

wspaniel wrote:The key to Final Jeopardy was that the clue said "between these 2." I was originally going to guess "Adam and Eve," but if that were the correct answer, the clue would have read "between these two people." That gave me Eve and the serpent.

Awkward wordings like that give clues every now and then. It reminded me of this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugYFQ1IsNOA
For people who take note of how J! clues are written, this is an excellent object lesson for exactly the reason you state. The intentional omission of the word "people" was glaring enough that it should reasonably alert the attentive contestant of something unusual...in this case the fact that they were NOT looking for two PEOPLE.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Who got the Eisenhower sick/market down clue right? I will blame the players zero for trying President Bush on that one.

I would love to know Jenica's confidence:guess ratio for her FJ! response. Whatever, that and her wager worked out very well in her favor. She and Bill played a fairly close game, so I'm looking forward to the rematch.
Eisenhower was an Instaget for me. Being "of a certain age," I can remember the national news magazines having cover photos of him in his hospital bed."

I know that "offering a tie" has become quite a conversation hereabouts, even to the point of someone questioning whether J! will/should change the rules. All I know in this case is that if I had been the champ, Jenica is one contestant I sure as hell would NOT offer a tie to. I'll tune in tonight to see if that decision comes back to bite his ass.

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I asked this last time but no one replied. Are those in the contestant pool pissed at these wager-to-ties that cause less contestants to make it on Jeopardy.

I also wonder if TPTB are pissed because they are paying out more prize money and have to pay contestants travel fees that didn't get to play during their scheduled two days.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:25 pm

cf1140 wrote:I asked this last time but no one replied. Are those in the contestant pool pissed at these wager-to-ties that cause less contestants to make it on Jeopardy.

I also wonder if TPTB are pissed because they are paying out more prize money and have to pay contestants travel fees that didn't get to play during their scheduled two days.
The money's surely insignificant, but the optics of these sorts of tie games are pretty strange for the casual viewer, and I figure it's in TPTB's best interests to get as many new people as possible on the show each year.

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:37 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say they probably like the tie. The money is irrelevant (Jeopardy makes a profit of something like $100 million a year), and anything that stirs up interest is good for business.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 pm

lieph82 wrote:
cf1140 wrote:I asked this last time but no one replied. Are those in the contestant pool pissed at these wager-to-ties that cause less contestants to make it on Jeopardy.

The money's surely insignificant, but the optics of these sorts of tie games are pretty strange for the casual viewer, and I figure it's in TPTB's best interests to get as many new people as possible on the show each year.
But familiar faces are generally an attraction to the viewer, many reality shows routinely have returning players. And on J! it's not like they're having the same people for weeks at a time.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 pm

No, doesn't bother me. Speaking as someone who's waited in the contestant pool a couple of times, I don't think that has been the determining factor in my not (yet) getting the call.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 pm

John Boy wrote:
wspaniel wrote:The key to Final Jeopardy was that the clue said "between these 2." I was originally going to guess "Adam and Eve," but if that were the correct answer, the clue would have read "between these two people." That gave me Eve and the serpent.

Awkward wordings like that give clues every now and then. It reminded me of this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugYFQ1IsNOA
For people who take note of how J! clues are written, this is an excellent object lesson for exactly the reason you state. The intentional omission of the word "people" was glaring enough that it should reasonably alert the attentive contestant of something unusual...in this case the fact that they were NOT looking for two PEOPLE.
I think that's an extreme case of reading between the lines. With a microscope.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Vermonter wrote:
psgola wrote:I could see Jeopardy changing rules about ties starting next season. I bet it could easily be found, but I wonder what the record is for most ties in a season?
Looks like season 14, with five. Four were warranted:

6/12/98 – leaders tied, third out of contention; both missed (no winner)
Did third overbet this one, or was he/she $0 or negative going into FJ?

Edit: Looked it up; third was negative going into FJ.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm

cf1140 wrote:I also wonder if TPTB are pissed because they are paying out more prize money and have to pay contestants travel fees that didn't get to play during their scheduled two days.
They usually have two or more people who are alternates from California for just these occasions, so travel costs aren't really a factor.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 pm

cf1140 wrote:I also wonder if TPTB are pissed because they are paying out more prize money and have to pay contestants travel fees that didn't get to play during their scheduled two days.
I doubt this would happen much (the travel fees). They bring in locals on the second tape day. The carry overs from the first tape day are chosen for the early shows on the second day of taping. I think it would be highly unlikely for a non-local to have to make a return trip to play.

edit: yeah, just like Dr J said! ^

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:35 pm

I would suppose the locals would be the first ones to get cut in case of a tie game.

stephanie
Contributor

Post by stephanie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Some random thoughts of last night's game:

1. Ties. Do you think in some cases betting for the tie can be strategic, as in tying with the contestant you think you can beat the next day? Sort of lessens your competition. You've already seen that person's playing style, have a small grasp on their strength and weakness, etc. More cases than not, however, I don't understand why someone would intentionally bet for a tie.

2. Triple stumpers on world capitals?? A staple category of study for Jeopardy. And the capital for Barbados I wouldn't have thought of as obscure as, say, the capital of Tuvalu. Of course, I study my world capitals obsessively. My biggest fear is getting on the show and failing on a world capitals category (or any other category I've studied hard in) because of nervousness.

3. Found myself yelling at the screen at Michael's DD from the "sit back" category. Guess he's not a Monty Python fan (re:from Season 4: The Golden Age of Ballooning episode). :D

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I think the biggest benefit to offering a tie is that it will trick a future opponent into betting everything from second place even though strategy and/or the category dictates otherwise.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:22 pm

stephanie wrote: 1. Ties. Do you think in some cases betting for the tie can be strategic, as in tying with the contestant you think you can beat the next day? Sort of lessens your competition. You've already seen that person's playing style, have a small grasp on their strength and weakness, etc. More cases than not, however, I don't understand why someone would intentionally bet for a tie.
It's always strategic (or, at least, the theory behind the action is strategic; I can't say for sure why a specific player did it):

http://thefinalwager.co/2014/01/29/fina ... y-29-2014/

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 pm

You need look no further than the previous tie to see why offering the tie from the lead can be advisable: because if you get FJ wrong, sometimes the amount by which you attempted to clear second's doubled score ends up being the amount by which you lose.

JJessen

Post by JJessen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am

Hello, everyone! I'm Jenica Jessen. I've been reading J! Archive for a while (excellent for studying!) but I just stumbled across these boards. And I figured since everyone was talking about me, I might as well talk back. :)

The "Turks and Caicos" thing just kills me. I'd only ever come across the name while studying for the show. When I did, I searched the J! Archives and discovered that the islands had only ever appeared on the show six times, and in five of those all or part of the name was in the question. So I figured that I didn't need to know the full name, just be able to recognize it on sight. when I read the clue a few weeks later, I knew that the right answer was "Turks and C_____s", but I didn't remember what was in the middle of the seocnd word. So I took a stab at it and stabbed wrong.

You can bet that I'm never going to forget it NOW, though. :)

MarkBarrett: I was actually really confident in FJ. Normally I'm a bit of a risk-adverse person, but up to that point I had never missed a question on the Bible. (Broke my streak in the next game, but thankfully it worked here.) You can blame Mormon theology for the Satan thing-- 19 years of Sunday School lessons tend to reinforce certain interpretations. That the was first name that popped into my head.

To be honest, I wouldn't have offered a tie to Bill if I'd been in first place. He was a nice guy, but the truth is that I really would have preferred to have won a game outright, without tying. (He'd already done that.) I certainly appreciated it when he offered me a tie, though-- that chatting-with-Alex-after-the-show moment was one long "Thank you".