Sports Jeopardy Ep. 6 [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Sports Jeopardy Ep. 6 [Spoilers]

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe saying it was an iconic record would have been better. I also spent time thinking about Hack Wilson or some batting average record holder.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Finally took the time to watch an episode, some decent questions, could not believe some of the TS'ers. Didn't miss many, but there were definitely some toughies. Trouble With the Curve direct to DVD? Ugh.

Way too much guessing in the first round.

There's perhaps 5 decent sports trivia players in the DFW area that actually compete, the guy in the middle was not one of them.

No way in hell this champ makes the final three, not enough knowledge, not enough wagering huevos. Gotta have both methinks.

Thought Dan Patrick did pretty well as host, proper mix of straightforward and humorous.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Ryno wrote:Looks like we have a score that may stay high in the rankings for a while.
Indeed, Neeraj is now second in the standings through 6 games. I certainly don't think there's any chance he survives to the final 3, but it might at least give him some rooting interest in watching the games for the next couple months. I remain disappointed at the overall performance of the contestants we've seen. Ever game has nice gets here and there, but also way too many inexplicable stand-and-stares and bizarre incorrect guesses. Only one score of $20K through 6 games? Very surprising.
I admit that Sports Jeopardy! hasn't excited me as much as I thought it would. I'm thinking there are several reasons for this.

1. It is only on once a week. So it is hard for me to get in a grove with a show when I'm used to watching it every day.

2. No returning champions. Part of the fun is getting to know someone over the course of their run. My interest gets higher the more games someone wins. Ken Jennings brought a lot of attention to the show for his streak, as did Arthur Chu. I'm not going to waste any time getting attached to anybody if I know I'm never going to see them again. Well, I'll see three in the finals, but I doubt I'll have any memory of them.

3. The game play. So far, I haven't seen anyone that really blew me away being a sports trivia savant. I haven't seen any great wagering. I think one guy bet big with a lock, but people really seem to be going for a win in the game and not trying for the TOC at the end of the season. Perhaps the fact they only get one game is a factor. Many people have opening day jitters and become strong champions.

4. Watching on my computer. It just isn't fun to me. I can't zoom through the ads, the picture is a bit jumpy and it is a hassle having to go to the site and click a couple buttons to watch a show. I've watched old episodes on you tube and I saw several of the BOTD preview games on Crackle, but I've never watched a new program on line. I guess I'm just too set in my ways.

5. Dan Patrick. I've never been a huge fan of his and this isn't helping. I know he is trying to put his own spin on hosting and not be Alex, but he seems to make the game drag the way he tells us the correct question on a TS. I really hope he isn't the host when Alex retired. But I never cared for Alex before he got the job and he used to really irritate me, but he grew on me eventually.

I'll still watch, but if there is no second season, I won't cry.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:4. Watching on my computer. It just isn't fun to me. I can't zoom through the ads, the picture is a bit jumpy and it is a hassle having to go to the site and click a couple buttons to watch a show. I've watched old episodes on you tube and I saw several of the BOTD preview games on Crackle, but I've never watched a new program on line. I guess I'm just too set in my ways.
That's my issue, too. I don't like watching anything on a computer/console.

rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

28 right for today's ep., but got bit again on FJ (1-5 so far).
Wednesdays are usually breakfast at McDonald's & SJ (unless there's something I need to round up for the Archive).
Jack-in-the-Box ads would be easier to put up with if they had locations nationwide (closest are Baton Rouge & South Carolina) -- that's like Bojangles running ads when they don't have any outlets on the west coast.
Finally got rid of the "rack effect" on my Kindle by switching to panoramic mode. :P
And viewership hasn't been bad -- just under a million hits for first 4 weeks, plus Sony is shopping the format around to other countries (as reported at GSNN).

BobF

Post by BobF »

econgator wrote:
lieph82 wrote:it's pretty poorly pinned down, isn't it?
It is. There are basically an infinite number of single-season batting records. I was trying to think how to better pin it down and really couldn't come up with anything good. I think my best was:

Despite holding a single-season record of this Triple Crown component for 37 years, this man is not in the HoF.

Might make it too easy, but at least it pins it much better.
How about this - pretty subtle, but a skillful player would pick it up:

Despite holding a single-season batting record* for 37 years, this man is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Or perhaps add to the end of the clue "much to the chagrin of Billy Crystal."
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Golf

Post by Golf »

You guys are missing the boat, the whole point of the question is that they wouldn't ask this about some batter who set a single season fly ball record. It is subtly inferring that it's a major record but yet this player isn't in the HoF. If it were about some meaningless record the question is impossible.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:You guys are missing the boat, the whole point of the question is that they wouldn't ask this about some batter who set a single season fly ball record. It is subtly inferring that it's a major record but yet this player isn't in the HoF. If it were about some meaningless record the question is impossible.
No, you're missing our point. The implication that it's a major record is far from subtle. This question wasn't hard. But the writers put themselves in a ridiculous situation by not pinning down the question. If someone wrote down "Dick Kryhoski," it's entirely possible that it fits every parameter of the clue. Is the onus then on the show to do their due diligence or on the player (a la Ed Toutant) to do some research and come up with a "record" that fits the clue? If they have to accept alternate answers, is that fair to the people who got Maris? This is something writers should avoid.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I was very embarrassed. It's something I clearly knew. Just didn't come to mind. I actually thought of Hugh Duffy, but then I know the season has been longer than 37 seasons, plus I found out he is in the Hall of Fame. All I can do is say it was a rough game for me and that I can keep practicing on Sporcle and hope if I get called for real I can do the best I can.

Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote:You guys are missing the boat, the whole point of the question is that they wouldn't ask this about some batter who set a single season fly ball record. It is subtly inferring that it's a major record but yet this player isn't in the HoF. If it were about some meaningless record the question is impossible.
lieph82 wrote:No, you're missing our point. The implication that it's a major record is far from subtle. This question wasn't hard. But the writers put themselves in a ridiculous situation by not pinning down the question. If someone wrote down "Dick Kryhoski," it's entirely possible that it fits every parameter of the clue. Is the onus then on the show to do their due diligence or on the player (a la Ed Toutant) to do some research and come up with a "record" that fits the clue? If they have to accept alternate answers, is that fair to the people who got Maris? This is something writers should avoid.
I see what you are saying, but when it comes right down to it, you could probably have the same beef with plenty of other FJ's.

For instance, let's take yesterday's FJ clue.
Spoiler
In 1915 his reasons for naturalization included "having lived and worked in England for the best part of forty years

There's probably plenty of people that said that in 1915, would just have to track one down that wrote a published paper.
I guess I'm just not a fan of being that way towards most clues, but I see your point.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

If you can find something else that matches the clue exactly, I say more power to you, but I don't think it's very likely. I don't think the remote possibility of another answer fitting necessarily makes the Roger Marris clue bad.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

28/48
21,000 coryat
LT: Dick Allen, Derrick Rose, Harvey Kuenn, Clint Eastwood, Invincible, James Laurinitis
Instaget FJ

I agree it was a pretty tough board. Also agree with the comments about how the games so far don't seem to have as good of flow as most regular Jeopardy games. I think most of us have our wheelhouse sports and teams, but also have some that we know almost nothing about, so that's where the stand and stares come from. Maybe the sports savants didn't do very well in the audition part of the tryout?

Another one here wondering whether Boston Garden would've been accepted. Do I now have to remember who the current corporate sponsor of every stadium/arena is? Yikes!
Sheepin' it real.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:4. Watching on my computer. It just isn't fun to me. I can't zoom through the ads, the picture is a bit jumpy and it is a hassle having to go to the site and click a couple buttons to watch a show. I've watched old episodes on you tube and I saw several of the BOTD preview games on Crackle, but I've never watched a new program on line. I guess I'm just too set in my ways.
Chromecast?
Sheepin' it real.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Another one here wondering whether Boston Garden would've been accepted. Do I now have to remember who the current corporate sponsor of every stadium/arena is? Yikes!
I always thought the old arena was called the Boston Garden and this one has the corporate name. I did not know it was still called the Garden on an informal basis.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I have a Blu-Ray DVD player with a Crackle app on it so I watch on my regular TV.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
econgator wrote:
Chromecast?
It has nothing to do with the screen. I hate all the non-skippable ads and other crap I can't speed through on a DVR.