Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by Ryno » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:28 am

It's Wednesday, so another episode is up. I liked the Cliches category, because I had written some clues just for fun with that theme in mind. I noticed that some contestants are just better than others at getting Dan Patrick's humor and coming up with good comeback responses.

Lach Trash: Maria Bueno, One Day at a Time (surprised that was a TS), Slazenger, Rulon Gardner, Jean Claude Kiley.

Was totally off on FJ, guessed Paul Hornung.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Football Greats
A college football award is named for this Heisman winner who in 1950 led the NFL in scoring in his rookie year.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Doak Walker? Kyle said Sammy Baugh.

Matt Pedicini: 7,900+2,117=10,017...wins $5,000
Kyle Noonan: 5,000-4,999=1
Jason Boykin: 3,750+3,700=7,450
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9465
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by Bamaman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Davey O"Brian on FJ for me.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10232
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I sure am glad I was wrong on the FJ! clue as it makes it much easier to laugh off writing, "Hornug." At least I had a 1950s Heisman guy who also led the NFL in scoring in the 1950s. Now if I could just learn to spell. Doak Walker I have heard of, but no way he was going on the paper. Credit to the players for going 2/3 on him.

Each game always has a good fogey TS for me. This time it was Abe Saperstein.

I also had the Jean-Claude Killy DD, Daniel Bryan (heal up soon) and Rulon Gardner stumpers.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:07 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Each game always has a good fogey TS for me. This time it was Abe Saperstein.
Red Klotz was the founder of longtime Globetrotter rivals: Washington Generals and New York Nationals. He died a few months ago, and made his home in my longtime town of Margate, NJ

User avatar
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Fairhope, Alabama

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by psgola » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:37 pm

My J! Round board was pretty bad, worst of the season:
Animal Prediction 2/4, NHL Nicknames 2/4, Women's tennis 3/4, fantasy football glossary 0/4, baseball dad 0/4, cliches 1/4
--Doesn't help when I don't play Fantasy Football. I didn't like the Cliche category at all.

DJ! Round much better
On ball 2/4, Non Athlete HOFs 1/4, sports pourri 3/4, all types of wrasslin 3/4 (can't believe I missed Gable), French 3/4, "G" Wizard 4/4

Lach Trash: Hammer, Gooden, Slazenger, (Daniel) Bryan
Rulon Gardner, Jean Claude Killy

On FJ, I also didn't get it right, as I thought Davey O'Brien. I was wavering between him and Chuck Bednarik, and thought, Chuck played defense. Either way I was wrong.

Sorry if sounding a little too arrogant, this episode was first one I thought that I probably wouldn't have won.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by JFanForever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:00 pm

I guessed Lujack for FJ.

12 right in J, 10 right in DJ if you count my "Checkmark" as "Swoosh or Nike." I also blurted out "Bert Carr" before I changed it to "Bert Bell."

User avatar
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19
Posts: 1900
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by heelsrule1988 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 pm

As someone who is a huge homer, I'm with Dan... I can't stand when people randomly pick teams that are nowhere near them. Boo hiss.

11/5: 20,750 (FJ: :()

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6905
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by Volante » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:As someone who is a huge homer, I'm with Dan... I can't stand when people randomly pick teams that are nowhere near them. Boo hiss.

11/5: 20,750 (FJ: :()
What if it only seems random? :D

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Coryat 20,250.
FJ: :D

Didn't keep track all of my Lach Trash, but I remember Hammer, Slazenger and Rulon Gardner. Had Jean Claude Killy DD, too (not technically LT, for those of you who claimed it). Davey O'Brien and Doak Walker both came to mind for FJ, but since they said scoring leader, went with the one that I thought was a running back rather than the one I thought was a quarterback. Was not 100% confident, but pretty close. Still kinda surprised nobody yet has Clavined to try for the end of season finals. Every week that it doesn't happen makes me more sure that the order of the episodes has intentionally been chosen to save those for later.

Is it just me, or are the pauses before calling for a clue and before Dan gives an answer consistently just an annoying half-second or so longer than they are on regular Jeopardy? Not sure if this is actually Dan and the contestants' faults, or if it is an editing issue. Seems like they could trim those pauses out maybe?

Have we had any games where they didn't get to all of the clues on both boards? Is this one of the advantages of being on the web, that you're not held to a strict time limit? I know there are fewer clues, but it seems like TPTB have decided that every board will be cleared. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Guessing that calls for the second set of tapings should be going out soon. Anybody heard? Since the audition, I've remembered so many better stories than the ones that I wrote on the application that day. Think I could send them an e-mail and say, "Hey, those stories on my application were lame. I have better ones. Really I do!" 8-)
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Volante wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:As someone who is a huge homer, I'm with Dan... I can't stand when people randomly pick teams that are nowhere near them. Boo hiss.

11/5: 20,750 (FJ: :()
What if it only seems random? :D
Doesn't usually seem random to me. The people I've known who didn't root for their hometown team usually do so because either:

1. They root for the team who was consistently good, or at least on TV a lot when they were young (e.g., Cowboys and Steelers in the 70s, Braves and Cubs in the 80s, Cowboys and Bulls in the 90s)
2. They root for their parents' (usually dad's) team, even though they themselves grew up in a different area of the country
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6905
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by Volante » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:48 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Volante wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:As someone who is a huge homer, I'm with Dan... I can't stand when people randomly pick teams that are nowhere near them. Boo hiss.

11/5: 20,750 (FJ: :()
What if it only seems random? :D
Doesn't usually seem random to me. The people I've known who didn't root for their hometown team usually do so because either:

1. They root for the team who was consistently good, or at least on TV a lot when they were young (e.g., Cowboys and Steelers in the 70s, Braves and Cubs in the 80s, Cowboys and Bulls in the 90s)
2. They root for their parents' (usually dad's) team, even though they themselves grew up in a different area of the country
In the first ever pack of baseball cards I got (89 Topps) out of the 15 cards, 14 teams were represented. There were 2 Cubs (no one of note).
Ever since, I've been a Cubs fan.

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Volante wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Volante wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:As someone who is a huge homer, I'm with Dan... I can't stand when people randomly pick teams that are nowhere near them. Boo hiss.

11/5: 20,750 (FJ: :()
What if it only seems random? :D
Doesn't usually seem random to me. The people I've known who didn't root for their hometown team usually do so because either:

1. They root for the team who was consistently good, or at least on TV a lot when they were young (e.g., Cowboys and Steelers in the 70s, Braves and Cubs in the 80s, Cowboys and Bulls in the 90s)
2. They root for their parents' (usually dad's) team, even though they themselves grew up in a different area of the country
In the first ever pack of baseball cards I got (89 Topps) out of the 15 cards, 14 teams were represented. There were 2 Cubs (no one of note).
Ever since, I've been a Cubs fan.
Wow, that was really bad luck for you. (From a Cardinals fan.) :)
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 am
Location: Hermitage, PA

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 7 [Spoilers]

Post by jeopfansincebirth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 pm

The 500 point clue in THE SPORT'S WINNINGEST COACH, if it were written for a later episode, would be written as:

College Football, Division I, 409 wins at Penn State.

The correct response would be Who was Joe Paterno?
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"

Post Reply