TD 217: All Together Now

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 217: All Together Now

Post by BobF »

Welcome to TD 217: All Together Now.

Rules:

1. All knowledge must come from your own brain. No research.
2. As always, the purpose of the game is to give the answer that is given by as few of the other players as possible. In this game, the lowest score wins.
3. Incorrect answers will score double (2x) the sheep.
4. You are allowed to DROP one question, which will give you a score of zero for that question. There is a nine point bonus for not using a drop. (Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine)
5. You are also allowed to answer Number Nine to any questions you can't come up with an answer on. On those question, I will use your score will be the higher of: the number nine or the sheep total.
6. Ties will be broken by the number of correct responses, then the number of singletons, and then the number of doubletons. The last tiebreaker will be entry time.
7. You may only use each answer one time for your primary answer to a question - bonus answers do not count towards this limitation.
8. For bonus questions: The person who lists the most correct titles without an incorrect title will receive a 3 point score reduction. 2nd place 2 points, 3rd place 1 point. Ties will split the bonus reduction.
9. PM your answers to me. Do not post them in this thread.
10. You have until Monday, November 17 at 11:17 am EST to enter.

ETA: I'm going to add one more option besides DROP and NUMBER NINE. You may also, for only one question, simply choose "Bob's Answer". Whatever number I get you get. If you use any of these three special answers, bonus answers are not available for that question.
Last edited by BobF on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

TD 217: All Together Now: The Questions

Post by BobF »

This TD, like Mr. Kid's is somewhat related to my own personal life.

Forty-six years ago this week marked the release of the first movie I ever went to in the theater, Yellow Submarine. My babysitter, possibly the most devoted Beatles fan on the planet, took me to see the movie when I was a lad of three. If I lived closer to my folks, I would have seen if I could have dug up a picture of my 3-year old self in my little Nehru jacket - or maybe not.

So, this TD, which basically came to me like a tidal wave while I was cutting my lawn this summer, has to do with the music of the Beatles, and is based upon one song from Yellow Submarine, All Together Now.

For the purposes of this TD, (almost) all answers are going to be titles of Beatles songs. And, unless otherwise noted, when I refer to Beatles songs, I am speaking of the configuration that included the four Beatles who were in Yellow Submarine. If Tony Sheridan sang lead, if Stu Sutcliffe played bass, they don't count. Any song that was recorded ONLY with Pete Best on drums also doesn't count. Additionally, songs only count if they were released while all four of the primary Beatles were alive, so I'm basically limiting this to 1962-1970 (except for the last question).

All Together Now starts out like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, can I have a little more
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 I love you.

A, B, C, D, can I bring a friend to tea.
E, F, G, H, I, J, I love you.

So, here are the questions:

1 Name a Beatles song title with exactly one word (21 responses)
Bonus: name as many other Beatles songs that fit this category.

2 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 2 Cs or exactly 2Ds (17 responses)

3 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 3 Es (22 responses)

4 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 4 letters or exactly 4 Bs, or exactly 4 Es or exactly 4 Gs or exactly 4 Hs (~ 18 responses)

5 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 5 words or exactly 5 Hs (19 responses)

6 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 6 words or exactly 6 letters or exactly 6 Os (~ 18 responses)

7 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 7 words or exactly 7 letters (~ 22 responses)

8 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 8 words, exactly 8 letters, or exactly 8 Es (~ 19 responses)

9 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 9 letters (13 responses)

10 Name a Beatles song title with exactly 10 letters or exactly 10 words (20 responses)

A Name a Beatles song title that starts or ends with the letter A

B Name a Beatles song title that starts with B, or where any word ends with B, or containing exactly 3 Bs.

C Name a Beatles song title that starts with C, ends with C, or has 2 or more Cs.

D Name a Beatles song title that ends with the letter D

E Name a Beatles song title that contains a word that begins with E or has 4 or more Es.

F Name a Beatles song title where any word in the title either starts or ends with the letter F.

G Name a Beatles song title where any word in the title starts with the letter G.

H Name a Beatles song title where the title starts or ends with the letter H, or contains 3 or more Hs.

I Name a Beatles song title that starts with the letter I.

J For this question only, it can be ANY song attributed to the Beatles OR to any of the four Beatles (or a group to which they belonged) after the Beatles broke up
Name either a song attributed to the Beatles, McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, or Starr whose title contains the letter J OR a Beatle whose first name begins with the letter J. (Note, if the song is really obscure, I'd appreciate it if you tell me who it is attributed to, as it will help me research the correctness of the answer).
Last edited by BobF on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BobF

TD 217: All Together Now: The Clarifications

Post by BobF »

For the "song titles that start with" questions, please ignore leading articles such as A or The

So if the Beatles sang a song called "The Best Day Ever", it would be considered to start with the letter B and contain 4 Es (counting the one in The) and 4 words (counting the word The).

Parenthetical parts of titles can be either included or excluded. Punctuation marks do not count toward the letter count, but numbers do. It's is one word, three letters, not two words, four letters..

Cover songs count, and I have at least one in my submission.

I was asked about songs from a couple of specific albums - and although some of the songs were recorded within the proper time frame, they were not released until after John Lennon's death. So they would only count for the last question.

I was also asked "If two people get all of the songs meeting a certain criterion for a bonus and I get all but one, do I get -2 points or -1 point?". All bonus questions allow for a total of a six point deduction, so in this case, two people would get a 2.5 point deduction, one would get a 1 point deduction. And I'll round to the higher tenth, so that if it's say, a 7 way tie all 7 people get a .9 point deduction.

ETA: All songs are as they are listed on the album or single. If the song is listed two different ways, then either way is acceptable. My arbiter will be my collection of Beatles' CDs (and I'm only missing one). Oh yeah, that reminds me, I'm going to exclude the instrumentals from the Yellow Submarine CD.

Also, I will not be a pain in the neck about spelling, unless the song in question does not fit the category the way it is actually spelled.

ETA: Hyphenated words count as a single word, and they don't need to be in any dictionary.

ETA: Spaces do not count towards the letter count.
Last edited by BobF on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
BobF

TD 217: All Together Now: The brave entrants

Post by BobF »

BobF (I'm going to create my entries without looking at anybody's response and without bonus questions during lunch, just to see how I do)
Abraxas
brainpower
dott888
gamawire
immaf
MarkBarrett
sarah0114
Woof
WoppyT

And can I count on an entry from countyguy? :-)
Last edited by BobF on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BobF

My entries

Post by BobF »

Do not open unless you have submitted your responses. This is just to keep me honest.
Spoiler
1 Chains
2 She Said She Said
3 I Feel Fine
4 Boys
5 Dig It
6 I'm Down
7 Two Of Us
8 Here There Everywhere
9 Something
10 Her Majesty
A Act Naturally
B Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
C Rocky Raccoon
D The Word
E Every Little Thing
F If I Fell
G Girl
H Sie Liebt Dich
I I'm Only Sleeping
J James Paul McCartney
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: TD 217: All Together Now

Post by RandyG »

Hoo boy!!

OK, I'm coming up for air with a couple of questions..... except for those songs which feature one of the disallowed Beatles:

- Does any song that either appears on a Beatles studio album or was released as a Beatles single during the period 1962-1970 qualify?
- Is this limited to U.S. album/releases?
BobF

Post by BobF »

RandyG wrote:Hoo boy!!

OK, I'm coming up for air with a couple of questions..... except for those songs which feature one of the disallowed Beatles:

- Does any song that either appears on a Beatles studio album or was released as a Beatles single during the period 1962-1970 qualify?
US or UK, but as near as I can tell, there are very few that are one and not the other. Basically, your phrase with 1962-1970 pretty much encapsulates the songs that are allowed.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

BobF wrote:
RandyG wrote:Hoo boy!!

US or UK, but as near as I can tell, there are very few that are one and not the other. Basically, your phrase with 1962-1970 pretty much encapsulates the songs that are allowed.
OK. It would be an all-time triple-super-duper-fan of the Beatles who could name songs that were released US, but not UK, or vice versa. I certainly don't know of any offhand, but felt that that should still be qualified upfront. There are several songs that appeared on different US vs UK album configurations, but that wouldn't matter here.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I put a lot more WORK into this TD than any other one, I think (listing, categorizing, counting, etc.). But it was lots of fun! The hardest part was probably getting a bunch of Beatles songs in my head and not being able to pull them up on iTunes/YouTube until I was done. Thanks! Looking forward to the reveal!
Woppy T

Re: TD 217: All Together Now: The Questions

Post by Woppy T »

BobF wrote:J For this question only, it can be ANY song attributed to the Beatles OR to any of the four Beatles solo careers after the Beatles broke up
Name either a song attributed to the Beatles, McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, or Starr that contains the letter J OR a Beatle whose first name begins with the letter J.
The letter J in the title, or anywhere in the lyrics?
BobF

Re: TD 217: All Together Now: The Questions

Post by BobF »

Woppy T wrote:
BobF wrote:J For this question only, it can be ANY song attributed to the Beatles OR to any of the four Beatles solo careers after the Beatles broke up
Name either a song attributed to the Beatles, McCartney, Lennon, Harrison, or Starr that contains the letter J OR a Beatle whose first name begins with the letter J.
The letter J in the title, or anywhere in the lyrics?
Title, sorry. I'll update the question.
BobF

Post by BobF »

sarah0114 wrote:I put a lot more WORK into this TD than any other one, I think (listing, categorizing, counting, etc.). But it was lots of fun! The hardest part was probably getting a bunch of Beatles songs in my head and not being able to pull them up on iTunes/YouTube until I was done. Thanks! Looking forward to the reveal!
Speaking of the reveal, I intend to stick to the idea I had a couple of months ago of revealing the questions in inverse order of the difference between most and least points. I really want to see what a reveal is like when the wildest fluctuations are saved until the end.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

In.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Man, am I going to be using NUMBER NINE a lot (like, on 3/4 of the questions :) )
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I know enough of the common songs to find answers. No repeating and fussing with some of the bonuses became repetitive in spots. For true fans of the group with extensive knowledge this game must have taken a long time to answer. If Esrever was still around working all the aliases he would have gone in the looney bin trying to research and juggle this set.

By the last Q my mind was exhausted and unable to get beyond the basics.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:I know enough of the common songs to find answers. No repeating and fussing with some of the bonuses became repetitive in spots. For true fans of the group with extensive knowledge this game must have taken a long time to answer. If Esrever was still around working all the aliases he would have gone in the looney bin trying to research and juggle this set.

By the last Q my mind was exhausted and unable to get beyond the basics.
I consider myself a knowledgeable fan, but certainly not one with obsessive mastery of their output. On most questions, I only have 33-50% coverage of the possible answers. Even so, I had to put a couple hours of furious scribbling in just to get it all written down. Exhausting indeed!
lpmastor
Contributor

Post by lpmastor »

To clarify, do spaces count towards letter counts? So if the Beatles sang the song "Bob bob" would that be a 6 letter or 7 letter song?
BobF

Post by BobF »

lpmastor wrote:To clarify, do spaces count towards letter counts? So if the Beatles sang the song "Bob bob" would that be a 6 letter or 7 letter song?
Spaces do not count.

Also, my intention here was to give true fans an edge in this contest, not a headache. :-)
BobF

Post by BobF »

So, I guess it's time to bump this towards the top

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Re: TD 217: All Together Now: The brave entrants

Post by countyguy »

BobF wrote: And can I count on an entry from countyguy? :-)
Sorry to bother you, but can you please answer the following:
Does #4 ask for four total B's, E's, G's, and H's, or four of any one of those letters?
Also, if the Beatles had songs called Sgt. Smith Strikes Back and Mr. Blue Sky, are you considering the abbreviated words as being spelled out in full?