Wednesday, November 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6938, 2014-11-12

2014 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Jim Coury, a senior from Georgetown University from Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Joshua Brakhage, a TV news producer originally from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma
Julia Collins, a 20-time Jeopardy! champion from Kenilworth, Illinois

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. As a group, the 15 competitors in this year's Tournament of Champions have won just over 100 Jeopardy! matches. And as you've just heard, Julia, all by herself, won 20 of those games. Does that put extra pressure on Jim and Joshua? We don't know about that. Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. The Jeopardy! Round categories today are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE PINK (4/5)
THE '30s (5/5)
NO LONGER AROUND (3/5)
BRITISH ENGLISH (5/5)
____IN' COUNTRY SONGS (4/5)
THE ENDS OF THE ROAD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: That take us to...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 11 R, 0 W
Joshua: 9 R, 1 W
Jim: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $2,800
Joshua: $1,200
Jim: -$1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: College champion Jim Coury is now a senior at Georgetown university, and he used some of his $100,000 winnings to do something some people consider dangerous. And what was that?

Jim: I went skydiving.

Alex: Now, I also went skydiving many, many years ago. I went skydiving twice. How many times did you go?

Jim: I just went once. I'd go again, though.

Alex: You would?

Jim: I would.

Alex: What was most exciting, most thrilling about it?

Jim: I think just looking down right before you jump. It's terrifying.

Alex: And on the way down, it gets very quiet, doesn't it?

Jim: And windy.

Alex: Yes. Thank God for air--

Jim: Yeah.

Alex: [Laughs]--and it--in its various forms.

Alex: All right, Joshua Brakhage is a champion from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma. Now, fans of yours--

Joshua: Yes, sir.

Alex: --all had different opinions as to who you reminded them of. What were some of the unusual ones?

Joshua: First time around, my hair was a bit longer, and I got either a Campbell's soup kid, a hobbit, or Brendan Fraser. That was before the beard, though.

Alex: Well, that's not a bad grouping. You can pick the one you like the most.

Joshua: Sure.

Alex: Now we come to Julia Collins, who won 20 games and close to--well, just a little over $400,000. Now, she got a special gift because of her appearance on Jeopardy! And it was from a famous person.

Julia: It was. The correct response, which I got wrong in my final game, was John Irving. And I got a very nice note from him and a signed copy of his latest book. And the note said that he hoped I enjoyed the book as much as he enjoyed watching me on Jeopardy! It was very, very kind, very touching.

Alex: It's nice to know that somebody famous is watching somebody who's becoming famous.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Julia had $6,600, Joshua had $3,400, and Jim was at $800. Jim wagered $1,000.

THE ENDS OF THE ROAD $1000: Construction of BR-010 began in the late 1950s to connect Belem with this new capital

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NO LONGER AROUND $200: In 1987 this automaker that gave us the Gremlin & Pacer was swallowed up by Chrysler
(Jim: What is Daimler?)

____IN' COUNTRY SONGS $1000: Loretta Lynn:
"Don't Come Home A ____in' (With ____in' On Your Mind)"
(Jim: What is "Drinking"?)
(Alex: Need more than that. There are two blanks.)
(Jim: Oh. "Drinking" and "Drinking"?)
(Alex: No.)
[Laughter]

NO LONGER AROUND $600: At Disneyland, Monsanto's Adventure Thru Inner Space began as riders entered a giant one of these instruments
(Joshua: What's a syringe?)

IN THE PINK $1000: In Hawaii, these flowers are often used to make leis
(Jim: What's hibiscus?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $6,600
Joshua: $4,000
Jim: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
THE REAL FIRST NAME (4/5)
MOVIE "LAND" (3/5)
CAUSE OF DEBT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BLUNT FORCE DRAMA (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Joshua: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jim: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Julia had $6,600, Joshua had $4,000, and Jim was at $3,000. Jim made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $1200: Used as a synonym for thorn, this structure's name comes from a Latin word for "thorn"
(Jim: What's a... thumb?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Julia had $10,600, Joshua had $11,600, and Jim was at $2,800. Julia wagered $4,000.

CAUSE OF DEBT $1200: The National Council on the problem type of this activity says it affects 6 to 9 million Americans
(Alex: [*] is right. Yes.)
[Applause as the camera cuts to a shot of Julia's cheering section in the audience.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $1600: Prone to inflammation, this membrane that covers the eyeball & inner eyelid is from the Latin for "to join together"

MOVIE "LAND" $1200: Debra Winger was Oscar-nominated for her part in this 1993 film in which Anthony Hopkins played C.S. Lewis

MOVIE "LAND" $2000: Sylvester Stallone played an overweight New Jersey sheriff in this 1997 drama

THE REAL FIRST NAME $2000: Of Mother Teresa
(Alex: First name--[*]. That's a toughie.)

CAUSE OF DEBT $800: Be careful with getting a HELOC, this type of "line of credit"; your house could go bye-bye
(Julia: What is high-equity?)

BLUNT FORCE DRAMA $400: After hearing this children's rhyme in an Agatha Christie play, William Blore dies from a bashed head

BLUNT FORCE DRAMA $1600: After Helena hits Jimmy, "anger" turns to passion in this John Osborne play, revived in 2012 with Matthew Rhys

BLUNT FORCE DRAMA $2000: Ken Harrison's road accident leaves him paralyzed, suicidal & asking this title question in a 1978 play

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $16,200
Joshua: $11,600
Jim: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S. CONSTITUTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Julia: Wager $7,001 to cover Joshua, but no more than $10,599 so as not to fall behind Jim's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $1,401.
Joshua: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Julia wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Jim: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 3 Latin phrases found in the Constitution are "pro tempore", "ex post facto" & this legal 2-word phrase

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $2,800 + $2,800 = $5,600 (What is habeas corpus) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Joshua: $11,600 + $4,606 = $16,206 (What is habeus corpus?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Julia: $16,200 - $7,100 = $9,100 (What is magna gloria) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $13,400, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Joshua: $11,600, 15 R, 1 W
Jim: $5,800, 11 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 21/59 = .356
Joshua: 16/58 = .276
Jim: 12/60 = .200
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IN THE PINK $200: Since the '90s, the ribbon seen here has been used to promote awareness of this disease

ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $2000: Though it doesn't look like one, the name of this piece of flesh that hangs from the soft palate means "little grape"
(Julia: What is epiglottis?)

CAUSE OF DEBT $2000: A study found that these contributed to 62% of personal bankruptcies in 2007
(Jim: What are mortgages?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Brasília
AMC
"Don't Come Home A Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)"
a microscope
plumeria
the spine
gambling
conjunctiva
Shadowlands
Cop Land
Agnes
home equity
"Ten Little Indians"
Look Back in Anger
Whose life is it anyway?
habeas corpus
breast cancer
uvula
medical bills
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The U.S. Constitution
The 3 Latin phrases found in the Constitution are "pro tempore", "ex post facto" & this legal 2-word phrase.

Spoiler
What is habeas corpus? Julia said magna gloria.

Julia Collins: $16,200-$7,100=$9,100
Joshua Brakhage: $11,600+$4,606=$16,206...advances to Semi-Finals
Jim Coury: $2,800+$2,800=$5,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a game! I was worried when I saw the contestants all in black, as if a funeral were taking place. And Jackhammer Julia is the one contestant I've been openly cheering for but she didn't become an automatic semi-finalist. At least we got the good news that John Irving watches J! (I wonder if he lurks in this forum...)

Julia seemed to get thrown off her game by missing uvula, and she didn't recover until she got the gambling DD. She obviously didn't remember this classic sketch from the first season of SNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCLPH3fnsDs

To remember a Latin phrase, recall this classic scene of Walter Matthau from "Buddy Buddy" playing a fake priest delivering last rites at 7:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6oaPFSRztU

To invoke my inner 12-year-old, wouldn't it have been funny if Julia had answered Sunday Mornin' ___in' Down merely with the blank and we spliced it together with the recent response about Spotted _____?

Go, Jackhammer Julia! Let your 9100 bring you a wild card!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an excellent game, but with Julia unexpectedly not winning. She might have bet too much in FJ, since her $16,200 total before FJ stood a really good chance of getting a wild card. She might still get a wild card, though. I'm surprised that Alex didn't mention the fact that there were three J's (Julia, Joshua, Jim) competing; three contestants with the same first-name initial doesn't happen often. I got 21 clues correct including AMC, but I didn't get FJ.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

These FJs have all been at the perfect level of difficulty for the TOC. I'm 0 for 3, but I'm not even the slightest bit bothered by that fact.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

With 16k I think I would've stood pat. Oh well.

Not quite instaget, but close enough. Mildly surprised it wasn't a triple get, moreso that it was Julia who missed it.

3/3 so far this week, in a TOC. I better brush up on opera and medieval poetry.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Josh on the win!

This was another tough board, but the "Movie Lands" category was surprisingly easy. And "uvula" was way overvalued at $2000.

I was lost on FJ. All I could come up with was "pro bono." There was no excuse for me missing this FJ clue.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

I was able to get the FJ tonight, but some of the other clues were practically impossible. I'm a Disney fanatic, yet there was no way that I was going to get Microscope on that "No Longer Around" question

I'm a little disappointed that Julia lost (and that she wagered so much), but I still think she has a good chance at getting a wild card spot, so I'm cautiously optimistic. It's possible that all the wild card spots will go to women, since Sandie and Sarah are great Jeopardy contestants who might not win their respective games. I guess we'll see
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

21 right.

Pink- 3; 30's- 4; Around- 1; English- 1; In- 2; Road- 3
Anatomy- 0; Before- 0; Real- 3; Land- 2; Debt- 1; Drama- 1

No Lach trash.

Only phrase I thought of for FJ was "ex officio". I'm surprised that Julia lost, but she still has a chance, pending 2 more games' results.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Did I see spoiler about next week in J! promo during break before FJ?
Spoiler
It looked like Arthur and Julia playing against each other, although I could very well be wrong.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

I think a $0 bet would have been the best strategically from Julia's position. It's a slim possibility, but wouldn't it be something if her wagering to beat a Joshua all-in by $100 instead of by $1 ends up costing her a semifinal spot?
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Does anyone know the history of the "cut line" for semi final qualification scores?

16k has to be >90% historically?
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

danspartan wrote:Does anyone know the history of the "cut line" for semi final qualification scores?

Here you go.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Interesting wagering dilemmas today.

I was pretty sure I would've wagered 0 in Julia's spot, and taken my chances that either Joshua misses, or $16,200 is good enough for a wild card. Survive and advance.

Joshua's decision was the tougher one in my opinion. In Joshua's spot, I would assume Julia was going to wager nothing. $11,600 probably has a decent chance at a wild card, but I would assume that a correct answer with a wager of more than $4600 probably wins the game, and almost definitely gets a wild card. On a miss, though, less than $7000 doesn't feel really good. For this category, I probably would've done what Joshua did, but I was unable to pull out the (obvious in hindsight) answer.
Sheepin' it real.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That conjunctiva clue sounded familiar...

#6382, aired 2012-05-22 EYE Q $2000: Allergies or infections can cause inflammation of this membrane that lines the eyelids & covers the eyes' surface
#2976, aired 1997-07-07 THE BODY HUMAN $500: Prone to inflammation, this clear membrane covers the front of the eyeball & lines the eyelids

The text of tonight's clue was "Prone to inflammation, this membrane that covers the eyeball and inner eyelid is from the Latin for 'come together'".

If I'm Julia in tonight's game I write a big fat circle for my wager and look forward to moving on. Or maybe, like, $100 just to mess with Joshua.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Instaget FJ. Then again, FWIW, I'm a lawyer. I'm glad that the judges did not penalize Joshua for the slight misspelling of Habeas.

Great game by Joshua, nice way to stick it out.

Lach Trash: Drinkin/Lovin, Shadowlands, Copland.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

countyguy wrote:
danspartan wrote:Does anyone know the history of the "cut line" for semi final qualification scores?

Here you go.
Thanks. So 20/23 tourneys from her DJ score.

Yup. Bet 0.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I'm really surprised that Julia missed that FJ -- seemed obvious to me -- but even more surprised that she wagered anything. $16K is a great score for advancing to the semis. She must've felt good about the category (which makes the miss that much more perplexing...). Good game by Joshua, who had the longest wait from his wins to this TOC. (And I think he wins the award for most changed/improved appearance -- his hair and beard are good choices!)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

If I had been in Julia's position in FJ then I would have done the Kevin Marshall thing and wagered $2 or maybe a little more, but nothing greater than $99.