Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ryno »

I agree with those that said that those were some tough esoteric clues.

Lach Trash: Pope Paul VI, Stetson, Doris Duke (DD), Mark Twain, bulkhead.

Instaget FJ.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

21 right.

1964- 2; Dessert- 0; Music- 3; Florida- 3; Marvel- 2; Obsolete- 2
Lit- 0; Century- 3; Sail- 0; Relate- 2; Will- 5; "Way"- 0

Lach trash: "See", "Stetson", "piano", "Duke- DD", "Mark Twain", "Sequoia- DD"

Settled on a stupid guess of Ireland and Isle of Man for FJ. If I knew it was in Japan (and from the name, I should have), I would have had the right islands.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, Sarah! Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! You kept your cool and made such a beautiful comeback. Not the feel-good ending we were hoping for. Oh well. It was lovely to see you again. And you got in another plug for the bone marrow registry. Who knows whether that has led or will lead to a match that wouldn't otherwise have happened and a saved life or two or three?

Well done and sorry it didn't work out.

Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

I have suspected Terry was going to win since I saw that her picture was featured more prominently on the Jeopardy website than anyone not named Arthur or Julia. When was the last time a college champion won their game, let alone was in the lead pre-FJ?

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Solid game for men who stare at goats. Took 16 + 18 for 34 correct including ran the dreaded sailing category (spent some time on old boats, lotta money thrown into holes in water surrounded by wood): idk why no one ever knows 'jib' since it's frequently asked and Alex seems to favor it. Other fun sails include main, top, studding and spankers. You could have a goshdarn lotta fun in that category! Funny how they post a picture of an arrow pointing at the yardarm and none of the poor contestants got yardarm, I felt bad for Drew getting shut out but just too many wrong guesses.

FJ was instaget. Japanese bullet train tunnel from Tokyo, capital city located on Honshu. Hokkaido is the northern island where you find provincial capital of Sapporo. This was also just asked!
Incorrect response included Kyoto, ancient capital city which is also located on Honshu's southwestern coast, near Osaka. Kyushu is the smaller island of the principal group southwest of Honshu.

Took tiller, bulkhead, jib, yardarm, james Galway = flute, Mark Twain, Sealab, holy See, Pope Paul VI on lach trash. Clam on Suwanee, Stetson, Betel (this is so addictive, cause of Polynesian islander's blackteeth, remember how they chew it 24/7), and sequoia (truly a DOH! moment, Cherokee language inventor = Sequoyah, total clam!). Another win from the 4th! Lachtrash was enough.
Was pleased for Terry she played well and earned the win.
Last edited by goatman on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Sorry it didn't work out for Sarah (I'm a fellow Iowan now), but I now have mad respect for Terry O'Shea.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Ryno wrote:I agree with those that said that those were some tough esoteric clues.

Lach Trash: Pope Paul VI, Stetson, Doris Duke (DD), Mark Twain, bulkhead.

Instaget FJ.
Same here on the Lach Trash, plus a couple of others. I went 4/5 on the sail category, thanks to Patrick O'Brian's novels.

I got FJ in time to write it down.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Would "Who is Duke?" have sufficed on the DD?

Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

Lumosityfan wrote:
Will33 wrote:I'm glad Julia makes it. Cannot wait to see Sandy tomorrow against Jared and Jerry(?the ginger guy). I'd love for Ranni to get the wc but one of those will have to completely bomb.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jerry actually isn't competing in this ToC (he was arrested on child molestation charges). Instead, 4-time champion Mark Japinga will compete in his place.

I just read about that in the TOC predictions thread.

sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

This was a frustrating game - not because everybody did so poorly, but because the material was just so difficult. I'm happy to see Terry do well, as I really enjoyed her in the College Tournament, and she seems to have prepared a lot for this tournament. I'm also happy that Julia is moving on to the semifinals

Somehow I got FJ for the 3rd day in a row - not really sure how that happened, but I guess these clues have just been up my alley

RunDMH

Post by RunDMH »

Those boards...yuck. I think it's safe to say that opinion was shared by Terry and Sarah as well.

I was thrilled seeing the Marvel category. "Movies by Century" seemed to be in my wheelhouse as well, but the stress got to me and I completely brain-farted on the final two films. I knew exactly when they took place, but for some reason the fact that centuries are off by one digit got to me and I ended up over-thinking it.

However, I'll be the first to admit that I had no clue on the DD's. I wouldn't have come up with "Sequoia" with another ten minutes to think, and (despite making the NC connection) never thought of "Duke" as being a family name.

It was tough watching the Final JEOPARDY! round from the side of the stage (especially because I knew the answer), but life moves on.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~ Oscar Gamble

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tough, tough boards and sorry to see you go, Sarah. No, it wasn't just you. I hope you had fun nonetheless.

BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

FJ! was an instaget due to the fact that I'm a Japanophile. :D

Overall a sluggish game but congrats to Terry!

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

NoName84 wrote:Would "Who is Duke?" have sufficed on the DD?
I think so. I knew it was "that tobacco queen" but clammed on Doris Duke. Her father James Buchanan Duke (I woulda paid money to change that!) founded Duke Univ in NC.
Savor the irony- he donated the millions he made from choking tobacco addicts to death on promoting healthy living and medical research.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I agree that this board was way too hard, even for the ToC. Quality wise it wasn't the worst that I have seen from the show, but it was still unacceptable. I will say though that I thought that the two DJ round DDs were surprisingly easy (assuming "Duke" by itself would suffice) and the trend of well written, not overly hard FJ clues was continued in this one.

PTB: since I know that I will never be picked to be a contestant, I will quit my job and drop out of grad school to move to LA and become a writer for the show. I even have work samples that I could give you, and I'll work for just a "living wage for Los Angeles". Make my dream come true!

I have to give mad props to Terry. Before the match Sarah was the easy pick to win--and I would still say that Sarah had the most impressive gets of the three on what little material there was to shine on--but Terry played her heart out. That was a tough FJ wagering situation for the ladies, too; I am so sorry that the tournament had to end for one of them.

FJ was an instant get. The name looked Japanese, and it was obvious which 2 of the 4 main islands needed to be written down.

sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

alietr wrote:I hope you had fun nonetheless.
I did! I was so nervous I hardly slept the night before, so once the 5th game was over I just went back to the hotel and crashed. Day 2 and the after party were a lot more fun with the pressure off (not that I would have minded having the pressure of more Jeopardy! to play!).

cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Post by cutlaaah »

I guess I'm the only one who didn't find these boards troubling, and who's actively rooting against Julia.

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Best categories, Their Main Musical Instruments 5/5 and Florida Geography 3/5.

Lach Trash: (Blessed) Pope Paul VI, Stetson, Accordion, Flute, Piano

Knew about Stetson as their sports teams in the news this week as the 2014 NL Rookie of the Year, and 2014 AL Cy Young winners played at Stetson.

FJ, I knew Honshu, but didn't get Hokkaido.

Would've been interesting if both got it wrong, as would've had a small amount winner.

What's the money guarantee for players who don't make it out of this round?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Paul VI (put the last few pontiffs on your short list study guide) but found it odd no pope ever got on a plane before 1964.

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

I am in agreement that these boards were hard. What's interesting to me is that the categories didn't seem too unreasonable:

1964 - Years are common J! categories
Desserts - Again, seems legit.
Most popular instrument - My wife and I just went through an old J! archive game practicing with a similar category
etc.

Obviously, the clues make things hard. But is "Jim Brickman" (Lach trash for me) too hard? Apparently so...