Monday, November 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6941, 2014-11-17

2014 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Collins, a 20-time Jeopardy! champion from Kenilworth, Illinois
Jared Hall, a consultant from Washington, D.C.
Terry O'Shea, a junior at Princeton University from Bridgewater, New Jersey

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for tuning us in today. You know, this past season on Jeopardy!, many of our champions got a lot of publicity and developed great fanbases, so I can't help but wonder if your favorite made it into the semifinals. Julia, Jared, and Terry most certainly did, so good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BORDERING THE RED SEA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FICTION-ALE (4/5)
DOUBLE "D" WORDS (4/5)
STUFF (3/5)
BOTANY (3/5)
IN MEMORIAM 2014 (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 9 R, 1 W
Terry: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jared: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jared found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Terry had no money, Jared had $800, and Julia was at $3,000. Jared wagered $1,000.

BORDERING THE RED SEA $600: This Red Sea port in Yemen gave its name to a candy made with milk chocolate & coffee
(Alex: Jared?)
(Jared: What is Sana'a?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $4,600
Jared: $1,600
Terry: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our 20-game champion, Julia Collins, is a little bit under the weather. You've been fighting some kind of a bug, right?

Julia: Something.

Alex: Okay.

Julia: I wish I was feeling 100%. But I'm having a great time anyway.

Alex: Good. Now let's talk about Twitter, because a number of our champions, as you know, have developed Twitter accounts. And you have a Twitter account, or somebody developed one, for your sweaters?

Julia: Yes, I have my own Twitter account, but somebody started one called JCSweaters, and it was dedicated to the sweaters I wore when I was on [chuckling] last season. So it was "What color am I gonna wear? How much did I win when I was wearing each color?" It was pretty funny.

Alex: But it's kind of fun, isn't it?

Julia: It was. It was very flattering.

Alex: Absolutely. All right.

Alex: Jared Hall is a consultant from Washington, D.C. One of the perks that comes with being a Jeopardy! champion is that you're recognized, as Julia indicated, but you also get little gifts, and you got some fun gifts in terms of eating stuff.

Jared: Well, I sure did. Everybody loves doughnuts, right?

Alex: Yep.

Jared: And, uh, my girlfriend and I were visiting Seattle. We walked into a doughnut shop there, and I was wearing my Jeopardy! baseball cap.

Alex: Oh.

Jared: And as I was perusing the doughnut case, the clerk at the counter said, "Uh, so are you a--are you really into Jeopardy!?" And I said, "Well, I guess you could say that." And my girlfriend, who's more willing to brag for me than I am, gave her the whole--filled her in on the 411, and she was quite impressed, and we wound up getting free doughnuts.

[Laughter]

Alex: [Chuckles] Okay.

Alex: Terry O'Shea is a junior at Princeton University majoring in what?

Terry: In English.

Alex: In English. Now, you have a fear of insects, right?

Terry: Yes. Or I used to.

Alex: You used to. Okay.

Terry: Yes.

Alex: But to help get over that, what did you do?

Terry: I took up beekeeping. At school. Yes. It's not so bad. It's actually really fun.

Alex: Were you ever stung?

Terry: Not yet.

Alex: By a bee?

Terry: No, not yet.

Alex: But you're over the fear of insects?

Terry: Yes.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STUFF $400: An inflatable life vest bears the name of this 1930s movie star

FICTION-ALE $400: A blue ale is named for this warrior race related to Vulcans

DOUBLE "D" WORDS $1000: Rennet & ferrous lactate are on the FDA's list of these substances

BOTANY $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands in front of a tree in Cambodia.) The banyan tree, common in Asia, sends out roots that become new trees; botanically, it's a fig tree & it's part of this genus whose American versions are a little tamer
(Jared: What is Cyprus?)
(Alex: I have one in my yard. What is a [*]?)

BOTANY $1000: This lovely flower is from the Greek for "water vessel"

STUFF $800: A friend has no fixed address? Send a letter to his main P.O. addressed: name, this 2-word term, city, state, ZIP

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $5,600
Terry: $3,000
Jared: $2,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT ARCHITECTURE ACADEMY (3/5)
GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE 19th CENTURY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYME 3 TIMES (5/5) (Alex: In [*] each response will be three rhyming words.)
IN BLACK & WHITE (3/5)
IN "GREY" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 8 R, 1 W
Jared: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Terry: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jared snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Terry had $3,000, Jared had $4,200, and Julia was at $6,800. Jared made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,200.

GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS $1600: "At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?" is a query from this 1979 novel
(Jared: What is Night?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jared who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Terry had $5,000, Jared had $1,200, and Julia was at $7,200. Jared wagered $2,000.

THE 19th CENTURY $1200: His industrial oxidation process was perfected around 1856, allowing the mass production of steel

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT ARCHITECTURE ACADEMY $2000: An example of the triumphal arch is that of the stern Emperor Septimius this, meaning "stern"

ANCIENT ARCHITECTURE ACADEMY $1600: A cubiculum wasn't a tiny Roman office space, it was one of these

IN BLACK & WHITE $800: Joseph Cotten chases Orson Welles through the sewers of Vienna in this film

THE 19th CENTURY $1600: These "monthly" rebels of 1825 Russia rose up in protest over Nicholas I's assumption of the throne

IN "GREY" $1600: In an expression from the French, it's someone wielding power behind the scenes
(Alex: Said of Cardinal Richelieu, [*].)

IN "GREY" $2000: Vigilant 19th century Skye terrier of an Edinburgh graveyard

IN BLACK & WHITE $1200: This film about 2 escaped convicts, one black & one white, won an Oscar for best black & white cinematography
(Julia: What is The Shawshank Redemption?)
(Alex: "What is [*]?" Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis. Julia, back to you.)
(Julia: That was not in black & white. [Chuckles])

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $12,000
Terry: $8,200
Jared: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GLOBE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus half of third. Stratton's Dilemma.
Julia: Wager $4,400--wagering any more risks falling behind Jared's wager of $0.
Terry: Risk all $8,200 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Julia doesn't wager to cover by $1). You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,000 (to shut out Jared) or less than $600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jared). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Julia.
Jared: Anticipating that Julia will wager for the tie rather than to cover by $1, and that Terry will wager everything, you should bet nothing, and you will tie for the win on the Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This capital city, which at 12,330 miles is farthest from Madrid, is named for a soldier who spent time in Madrid

FINAL SCORES
Jared: $7,600 - $0 = $7,600 (What is ?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Terry: $8,200 - $0 = $8,200 (What is Santiago?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Julia: $12,000 + $4,500 = $16,500 (What is Wellington?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Julia] And the Duke of [*] is correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $12,000, 17 R, 2 W
Jared: $12,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Terry: $8,200, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $32,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 18/58 = .310
Jared: 17/61 = .279
Terry: 11/58 = .190
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IN MEMORIAM 2014 $200: Hollywood's biggest little star, she passed away at 85

IN MEMORIAM 2014 $1000: Called "South Africa's grande dame of literature", she passed away at 90
(Alex: I'll try to clear my throat while you watch these commercials.)

BOTANY $400: This flower in the primrose family comes in red, blue & white varieties as well as "the scarlet" one
(Julia: What is a begonia?)

THE 19th CENTURY $2000: Active during the Civil War, he spoke of an "obligation to my country to preserve the faces of its historic men and mothers"
(Jared: Who is Borglum?)

IN "GREY" $800: Doug Flutie was MVP of this game 3 times
(Alex: [*] in Canada.)

RHYME 3 TIMES $400: An unclothed, vulgar fellow
(Jared: What is a... [Sighs])

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mocha
Mae West
the Romulans
food additives
Ficus
hydrangea
general delivery
Sophie's Choice
Bessemer
Severus
a bedroom
The Third Man
the Decembrists
the Grey Eminence
Greyfriars Bobby
The Defiant Ones
Wellington
Shirley Temple
Nadine Gordimer
a pimpernel
Mathew Brady
the Grey Cup
a nude, rude dude

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 pm

The Other Side of the Globe
This capital city, which at 12,330 miles is farthest from Madrid, is named for a soldier who spent time in Madrid.

SpoilerShow
What is Wellington? Jared had no guess; Terry said Santiago.

Julia Collins: $12,000+$4,500=$16,500...advances to Finals
Terry O'Shea: $8,200-$0=$8,200
Jared Hall: $7,600-$0=$7,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Congratulations to Jackhammer Julia for making the finals! I am especially impressed that Julia succeeded even though she was largely playing Jared's game of jumping around the board instead of her own strategy of going straight down. Julia and Terry each had long moments of staying out of the game. I was embarrassed not only by how much standing and staring there was in DJ but also by how silent I was at home. To further compound the embarrassment, it took both me and the contestants the silly triple rhyme category to earn some serious money.

I blew FJ after my perfect week :( My first thought was Quezon City but knew that couldn't be the farthest one from Madrid. I never did settle on Wellington.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 pm

That's called taking the negbait, hook line and sinker.

If the clue had just been "this capital is farthest from Madrid," I would have had it. (I've seen several trivia questions about New Zealand being close to antipodal to various points in Europe) Instead, the clue led me (probably intentionally) to believe it had to be a former Spanish Colony, so I went with Manila.

chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:03 pm

evanakm wrote:That's called taking the negbait, hook line and sinker.

If the clue had just been "this capital is farthest from Madrid," I would have had it. (I've seen several trivia questions about New Zealand being close to antipodal to various points in Europe) Instead, the clue led me (probably intentionally) to believe it had to be a former Spanish Colony, so I went with Manila.
Agree. I got it right, but I spent most of the 30 seconds trying to find a Spanish name in one of the obscure Oceanian capitals.

I feel bad for Terry. She played pretty well, and goes to the final if Julia misses that tough FJ.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I've long been fascinated with antipodes (for example this map), so FJ was an instaget. (I heard somewhere of a radio contest where someone made an "Earth sandwich" by a person in New Zealand and a person In Spain, at antipodal points, placing a slice of bread on the ground at the same time.).

Was surprised it wasn't more of a fight for Julia, but a lot of people seem to be happy with the results! :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

benzylic
Contributor

Post by benzylic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:09 pm

You could tell Julia was trouble with her voice. Great game all around though.

If you haven't read Unbroken go read it. Now.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Does Julia really have no current job other than "20 time Jeopardy! champion"? Weird.

What led to train on Stuff for $200?

Why did they call mocha a candy made with milk and hot chocolate? I thought a mocha was a type of coffee made with espresso and chocolate, and I can't find any reference to mocha in candy form.

Ran Double D.

Oddly, hydrangea was my only get in Botany. That and Additive were Lach Trash for me.

Can't say I recognize Eritrea as even being a country.

I thought Rhyme Three Times was fun. Mock rock clock was my only miss because I got tripped up on trying to think of another word for fake. Might've gotten it if I'd attacked it from the other end. Earl Grey (my mom's favorite tea) and Laredo were my only other gets.

No guess on FJ! If you don't know anything about Spanish history and are terrible at calculating distance, it could be nearly anything.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:32 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:If you don't know anything about Spanish history and are terrible at calculating distance, it could be nearly anything.
Fist ... face ... thanks.

Regardless of what you do or do not know, it can only be about 1 of half-a-dozen things tops.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:33 pm

I went with Sydney, though I knew Wellington was right as soon as I saw it. Glad to see Julia triumphant.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm

econgator wrote:Regardless of what you do or do not know, it can only be about 1 of half-a-dozen things tops.
If you don't know how far 12,330 miles is, then how could it be only one of half-a-dozen things tops? Santiago could be 12,000 miles away from Madrid for all I know. Washington, DC could be that far away for all I know.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm

This was a good game, but with quite a few triple stumpers. Julia won with an impressive get of FJ. Congratulations to Julia for going on to the finals. I got 16 clues correct including Special Delivery, but not FJ. I guessed Manila for FJ.

Golf

Post by Golf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Nice to see Jared go TDD every time, he did what he had to do.

Regardless of wagering theory in this FJ, Julia led going into FJ and she was the only one to answer correctly, so she is a deserving finalist.

Although I'd love Terry to chime in here again to see if she used multi-level thinking on her wager or if she just wasn't at all confident.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:43 pm

OSXpert wrote:I went with Sydney, though I knew Wellington was right as soon as I saw it. Glad to see Julia triumphant.
could've sworn they asked for a capital though... ;)

I was thinking "it couldn't possible by Port Moresby" for twenty five seconds and blurted Santiago right at the death. shameful.

Lach trash on Severus, additive and Romulans.

I said "nude lewd dude" which I assumed would have been ok.

Julia sounded like absolute death. hope it doesn't catch up to her in the final.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:45 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Does Julia really have no current job other than "20 time Jeopardy! champion"? Weird.
How is it weird? 5.9% of Americans don't have a job and would have to be creative if they got on the show (and have, "stay at home mom", "stay at home dad", "stay at home son" (can't find it in the Archive but I remember it), "gadabout" ...

It was also mentioned in another thread that she's living off her winnings currently. Or have you stopped reading everything educational including the board?
Can't say I recognize Eritrea as even being a country.
They did say it was the newest one on the Red Sea, so it's somewhat understandable. (Also, not surprised at its high value)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:49 pm

$4500 from Julia was another wagering error?

Julia 12,000 16,400-12,000=4,400; 12,000-4,400=7,600
Terry 8,200x2=16.400
Joshua 7,600

$4,400 gives her a tie with Terry if Terry bets it all and both correct.
Gives her a tie with Joshua if she misses and he bets $0 (which he should if he has done the math).

She still has a chance for an outright win and some back-up tie options should she miss.

Joshua is pretty locked in at $0 given Julia's likely cover bet or offer-tie bet. He could shove, but $0 is better.

Terry figured either
A. If Julia misses FJ its a tougher than average clue, so her odds of getting it correct are <50% so $0 is a good bet
B. Recognizes the tie possibilities, recognizes that Josh SHOULD bet 0 and that Julia has a standard wager of 2ndx2+100
Therefore she's never winning if Julia gets it right, so she should bet for the Julia miss and Josh $0 wager.

Terry otherwise has to bet it all.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 pm

grindcore wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I went with Sydney, though I knew Wellington was right as soon as I saw it. Glad to see Julia triumphant.
could've sworn they asked for a capital though... ;)
Didn't say it had to be world capital. Sydney is the capital of New South Wales.
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Does Julia really have no current job other than "20 time Jeopardy! champion"? Weird.
How is it weird? 5.9% of Americans don't have a job and would have to be creative if they got on the show (and have, "stay at home mom", "stay at home dad", "stay at home son" (can't find it in the Archive but I remember it), "gadabout" ...
More like double that because of the stupid way we report the stat, but yeah ...

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:00 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:Regardless of what you do or do not know, it can only be about 1 of half-a-dozen things tops.
If you don't know how far 12,330 miles is, then how could it be only one of half-a-dozen things tops? Santiago could be 12,000 miles away from Madrid for all I know. Washington, DC could be that far away for all I know.
Forget about the 12,330 miles. There is no way that Washington is the capital that is the farthest from Madrid. That title has to go to a capital that, as the category tells you, is close to diametrically opposite Madrid - which means in the southern hemisphere, near the International Date Line.

billiej

Post by billiej » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:01 pm

evanakm wrote:That's called taking the negbait, hook line and sinker.

Same here... :twisted:

Hope Julia has a chance to get some hot tea before her next game.