TD 218: My Favorite Things

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

TD 218: My Favorite Things

Post by Woof » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Welcome to TD 218! Continuing a recent trend, this one is organized around a number of topics that I find interesting. With any luck, so may a few of you. The rules follow the familiar format, with one big modification. Here are the rules:

1. All knowledge must come from your own brain. No research.
2. As always, the purpose of the game is to give the answer that is given by as few of the other players as possible. In this game, the lowest score wins.
3. Incorrect answers will score the sheep score plus 5.
4. There are no drops or other special features in this TD. Instead, you will supply with each answer a multiplier. The multipliers you will use consist of the following values -1,0, 1 (2x), 2 (2x), 3 (2x), 4 (2x) and 5 (2x). The zero multiplier functions as a drop feature; the -1 encourages you to select a sheep response.
5. You choose which multiplier to use on each question, but you can only use each multiplier either once (for 0 and -1) or twice (the rest). The multiplier thus acts as a confidence factor for your answer: the more confident you are in its excellence, the higher the multiplier you should choose.
6. An incorrect answer given the -1 multiplier will score the usual sheep+5 score (i.e., a positive number).
7. I will answer questions in this thread, but PM me any questions that may contain spoilers.
8. PM your answers to me. Do not post them in this thread.
9. Ties will be broken by order of submission.
10. You have until Monday, November 24 at 11:59 am EST to enter.

Woof

Re: TD 218: My Favorite Things

The Questions:

1. Computer Programming. In 1971, I learned how to program a Data General minicomputer at a class at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley. This skill would provide me with entertainment and gainful employment from high school through graduate school. Even today, I occasionally will write a computer program for my own use. The software company TIOBE has, since 2001, maintained a list of the most popular computer programming languages, updated monthly. The methodology of the TIOBE Index is given on their website:
The TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors. Popular search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Wikipedia, Amazon, YouTube and Baidu are used to calculate the ratings. It is important to note that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.
It is also important to note that they also only track the popularity of Turing-complete programming languages. In practical terms, this means that markup languages like HTML and XML are excluded from their rankings. Most other scripting and programming languages are fair game, though. Name one of the top 15 programming languages in the November 2014 TIOBE Index.

2. Travel. In 1968, I traveled to Europe with my parents, and have loved traveling ever since, having visited many countries in Europe, Asia and Oceania (but not as many as HBomb :mrgreen: ). Name one of the 12 most visited countries by US citizens in 2012. I am using the statistics compiled by the National Travel and Tourism Office. For purposes of this question, country means a UN member state.

3. Books. I love reading and have since early youth. As a youth, I loved reading Science Fiction; as an adult, I read more experimental fiction. One author who straddles those lines is Kurt Vonnegut. Name a novel written by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (14 possible answers)

4. Music. Coming from a musical family, it was no surprise that I took to music, too. Unlike them, I gravitated to Rock and Roll after hearing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Over the years, I took in Psychedelic, Funk, Glam, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Post-Punk and Grunge. One of the most popular bands from the '70s was Pink Floyd. Name a Pink Floyd studio album (15 possible answers). I am including in this list two albums that were written as movie soundtracks but also released as studio albums.

5. Food. One reason I love to travel is that I also love to eat. Over the years, I've at some outstanding restaurants, several of which have received great acclaim (one that was anointed Best Restaurant in the World by Restaurant Magazine). The James Beard Foundation awards are considered the Oscars for American restaurants. Name one of the restaurants that received the Outstanding Restaurant award in the years 2000-2014 (15 possible answers). Most of these restaurants are in NYC, SF or LA, but several come from other cities, too. Most are quite famous restaurants.

6. Wine. In addition to eating, I like having wine with my food. Having grown up in Northern California, I got to see the emergence of the California wine industry firsthand. Name one of the 12 most planted wine grapes (in terms of acreage) in California in 2013. I am using the statistics compiled by the US Department of Agriculture.

7. Drugs. As an organic chemist, drugs are my life, literally. Many of my former students are employed in the pharmaceutical industry and many of my friends work there, too. Name one of the 20 best-selling pharmaceuticals in the US in 2013. I am using the statistics compiled by the US Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association. This list includes both traditional small molecule therapeutics and so-called "biologics." I will accept either trade name or generic name. Hint: by disease, they treat: psychosis, acid reflux, arthritis (3), depression, heart disease, asthma/COPD(2), MS, cancer (3), diabetes (3), HIV, chronic pain, anemia and epilepsy.

8. Art. From early youth, I've had a fascination with art. At age 3, I could identify various Impressionist painters by sight. Name one of the Impressionist painters (12 possible answers). Since this is necessarily a fuzzy classification, I can give the following guidance: they were based in Paris, operating during the 1870s and 1880s, many of whom were members of the Société Anonyme Coopérative des Artistes Peintres, Sculpteurs, Graveurs ("Cooperative and Anonymous Association of Painters, Sculptors, and Engravers"). They were characterized by their outdoor scenes ("plein air"), obvious brushstrokes and lack of mixing of colors. I am looking for those individuals whose paintings today hang in the Impressionism sections of the world's major museums.

9. Education. I have spent almost all my adult life in and around institutions of higher learning. I am employed by one such institution. Name one of the top 12 most populous college campuses in 2013-2014 as determined by Department of Education enrollment statistics. This is specifically looking at campuses to avoid the complications of online enrollment and multi-campus University systems. All of these are large, public University campuses.

10. Film. I am a big fan of quirky movies made by independent film directors such as Akira Kurosawa, John Sayles and the Coen Brothers. Name a film directed by Joel and/or Ethan Coen that has been released. (16 possible answers). I am excluding two segments they directed for anthology films.

11. Sports. I love watching and playing various sports. One of my favorites is tennis. Name a men's tennis player who's won at least 8 major ("Grand Slam") singles titles in his career. (12 possible answers) For reference, those who've won 7 majors include Novak Djokovic, Mats Wilander, John McEnroe, John Newcombe, Henri Cochet, René Lacoste, William Larned, William Renshaw and Richard Sears.

12. Language. I have had a lifelong fascination with language, including etymology, linguistics and poetic usage. English has a particular fascination given its roots in so many different languages. Name a one-syllable word in the English language that ends in "ough" (14 possible answers). The Third Edition of the American Heritage College Dictionary will be my authoritative source.
Last edited by Woof on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

Woof

On question 6, I have now clarified that the James Beard Awards are only given to American restaurants.
On question 7, I have added two disease states inadvertently omitted in the original hint.
On question 11, I have now specified that I am referring to men's singles titles.
On question 12, I have now specified what source I will use for deciding whether a word is a "valid" English word.
Last edited by Woof on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Woof

Post by Woof » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Participants (in order of entry):
gloriacelemente
Ivoirians
sarah0114
Tpmorrison
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
StevenH
gamawire
mennoknight
Abraxas
CheezeWhiz
immaf
PowerofHoodoo
Turd Ferguson
Peachbox
Blue Lion
Leander
dott888
sillymonkey
TheyCallMeMrKid
jgamer
geolawyerman
econgator
dhkendall
bleezy
Peggles
Vanya
clprez
goforthetie
tjconn728
Vermonter
debramc
Bamaman
lpmastor
Creed Bratton
mitchparov
whatisbishkek
Woppy T
Magna
ElendilPickle
This is Kirk!
Sherm
bkburner
hbomb1947
teapot37
BoK
dnbguy
barandall800
ihavejeoprosy
Last edited by Woof on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Im precalling questions about raindrops, roses and kittens.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:38 am

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Im precalling questions about raindrops, roses and kittens.
What about brown paper packages tied up with string? Don't they deserve some love? :)

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 am

Rackme32 wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Im precalling questions about raindrops, roses and kittens.
What about brown paper packages tied up with string? Don't they deserve some love? :)
Not if you use them to turn it into a Christmas song.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 am

Don't blame Rodgers and Hammerstein for the idiocy of "Holiday Lite" radio programmers.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

immaf

Post by immaf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 pm

Do the multipliers apply to wrong answers? Suppose I get something wrong, and I've used the 5 multiplier for that question.
Will I be "awarded" [(sheep +5) x 5] points?
Teems with quiet fun.

Woof

Post by Woof » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 pm

immaf wrote:Do the multipliers apply to wrong answers? Suppose I get something wrong, and I've used the 5 multiplier for that question.
Will I be "awarded" [(sheep +5) x 5] points?
Yup. Except, as I mention in the rules, if the multiplier is the -1.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks for the shout-out. I suppose I'll have to enter this one. :D

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I like the assigning of values... I guess part of the fun will be deciding which question to use the minus-1 on.

Woof

Post by Woof » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:I like the assigning of values... I guess part of the fun will be deciding which question to use the minus-1 on.
I certainly hope so. My inspiration for this twist was partly the defense aspect of LL, which adds an element of strategy to LL that would otherwise be lacking, and partly Keith's innovative multiplier feature in his recent TD. I think that judicious choice of the -1 and 0 multipliers will add an element of gamesmanship to this TD. Additionally, I'll be able to compile statistics indicating which questions have the highest perceived difficulty (the results of which I've precalled).

dott888
Valued Contributor

Post by dott888 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:41 am

For question 11 - are these just singles titles or are doubles titles included as well?

Woof

Post by Woof » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:44 am

dott888 wrote:For question 11 - are these just singles titles or are doubles titles included as well?
Just singles titles. Thanks, I'll add that as a clarification. If anyone needs to change their answer in light of this new information, just PM me the changes.

Woof

Midweek Bump

Post by Woof » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 pm

phpBB [video]

Several questions have been modified. If you've already submitted your answers, feel free to modify any of them that may have been affected by a change in wording (unless, of course, you're now spoiled).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:09 am

If I get my 0 multiplier question wrong, do I still score zero points?

Woof

Post by Woof » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 am

Bamaman wrote:If I get my 0 multiplier question wrong, do I still score zero points?
Yup! :mrgreen:

Woof

Weekend Bump

Post by Woof » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:28 pm

A little over 50 hours to go, so get those entries in! There are still singletons available for every question.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 pm

I like the idea of "floating" multipliers. Nice work, Woof!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.