Wednesday, November 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6943, 2014-11-19

2014 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Sandie Baker, a data and translation coordinator from Eastpointe, Michigan
Joshua Brakhage, a TV news producer originally from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma
Ben Ingram, an IT consultant originally from Florence, South Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, our two winningest players of the past season--Julia Collins, who won 20 games, Arthur Chu, who won 11 games--have earned their spot in the finals for this tournament, which begins tomorrow. Who gets to join them--Sandie, Joshua, or Ben? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. Categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENTERTAINMENT (2/5)
WHAT DAY IS IT? (5/5)
THE SCIENTIFIC NAME GAME (4/5)
SOMETHING TO EAT (5/5)
"IUM" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Sandie: 8 R, 1 W
Joshua: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Ben had $1,800, Joshua had $600, and Sandie was at $800. Ben made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: This Kipling character first appeared as an adult in the story "In the Rukh", then as a boy in "The Jungle Book"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $5,000
Joshua: $1,000
Sandie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: When you're a multiple-day champion on Jeopardy!, you get to be famous. Sandie Baker, you got to be famous, and you've done a number of presentations, I understand, at a library. What kind of things are those?

Sandie: Well, at my hometown library in Eastpointe, they actually asked me to come and give a talk about what it was like to be on the show, and then the other thing that they had wanted to do all along was have a trivia contest. Well, I heard that people were saying that nobody wanted to play against me, so they asked me to host it, so I got to kind of be the Alex Trebek of our little trivia contest, and that was fun.

Alex: Did you try to grow a mustache also?

Sandie: Oh, heck no. [Laughs]

Alex: No? Was it fun?

Sandie: It was great.

Alex: Yeah?

Sandie: Yeah.

Alex: It's nice being in power, isn't it?

Sandie: Yeah, I think you have a great job.

Alex: Thank you. I think so, too.

Alex: Joshua Brakhage is from South Coffeyville, Oklahoma. Because of his victories on our program, somebody offered [Southern accent] to make you a personalized set of cowboy boots, right?

Joshua: That's right. You'd think, being from Oklahoma and having family that have lived generations on a cattle ranch, I'd own cowboy boots, but I don't.

Alex: But you don't.

Joshua: And so, yeah, a fan contacted me on Facebook and said he'd like to craft me a pair of cowboy boots.

Alex: [Normal voice] Did you take him up on it?

Joshua: I politely declined, though.

Alex: Oh, you did? [Chuckles]

Alex: Ben Ingram is an eight-day champion. You got the key to a city. Which city?

Ben: I got the key to my hometown of Florence, South Carolina. I'm mighty proud of where I come from, and I hope the Florentines are proud--not so much of me, but of themselves, because they've been tremendous throughout this whole experience.

Alex: All right, now, based on your accent, I'm thinking, would you like a pair of personalized cowboy boots?

Ben: I'm from South Carolina, not Oklahoma.

[Laughter]

Alex: I know, I know. But it's that accent. You just sound Southern all the way. You look as if you could use cowboy boots.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"IUM" $800: Riotous capital of Hell in Milton's "Paradise Lost"

"IUM" $1000: Ancient territory of Italy on the Tyrrhenian Sea that lent its name to a classical language
(Alex: Language is Latin. The territory is [*].)

THE SCIENTIFIC NAME GAME $400: Named for Darth due to its shiny black head & slit eyes, Agathidium vaderi is one of the 300,000+ species of this insect

ENTERTAINMENT $600: This Oscar-winning director is one of the executive producers of "Boardwalk Empire"

ENTERTAINMENT $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from New York.) This folk-pop musical won eight 2012 Tonys, including one for Best Musical

ENTERTAINMENT $1000: This summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra is named for an estate that was named for a Hawthorne book

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $7,400
Sandie: $4,200
Joshua: $2,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CAPITALS OF NON-COUNTRIES (4/5)
"J" MOVIES (4/5)
CLASSICAL RADIO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REAL ESTATE (4/5)
A MASSIVE AGGRESSIVE ATTITUDE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
12 LETTERS & STARTS WITH A VOWEL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 16 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Joshua: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Sandie: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Ben had $11,400, Joshua had $1,800, and Sandie was at $3,800. Ben wagered $4,000.

CLASSICAL RADIO $1600: These call letters of a Boston PBS TV station first hit the airwaves with a 1951 classical radio concert

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ben who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Ben had $18,200, Joshua had $1,800, and Sandie was at $3,800. Ben wagered $2,000.

A MASSIVE AGGRESSIVE ATTITUDE $1200: In 1968 fighting was fierce in Hue during this event called the turning point of the Vietnam War

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"J" MOVIES $2000: 1990:
Vietnam messed with Tim Robbins' head

CAPITALS OF NON-COUNTRIES $2000: Avarua on Rarotonga is the capital of this self-governing island group in association with New Zealand
(Sandie: What is Samoa?)

REAL ESTATE $2000: Often physically attached to the home, they're items that were once personal property but are now part of the sale

12 LETTERS & STARTS WITH A VOWEL $2000: Quality of being unprejudiced & objective
(Sandie: What is open-minded?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ben: $29,800 (lock game)
Sandie: $5,400
Joshua: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Ben: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $18,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sandie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Joshua: You've no hope of catching up... unless Sandie does something stupid. So risk $2,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Set in the Great Depression, this 2006 novel has an epigraph from "Horton Hatches the Egg"

FINAL SCORES
Joshua: $2,600 - $6 = $2,594 (What is thanks for clapping for me, Mom & Cami.) (2nd place: $10,000)
Sandie: $5,400 - $5,000 = $400 (What is) (3rd place: $10,000)
Ben: $29,800 + $0 = $29,800 (What is Water for Elephants??) (Finalist)
(Alex: "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.")
(Alex: [revealing Joshua's wager] All right! You're providing us with a lot of humor today. Thank you for that.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ben: $25,600, 28 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Sandie: $5,400, 13 R, 3 W
Joshua: $2,600, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Ben: 29/61 = .475
Sandie: 13/58 = .224
Joshua: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"IUM" $600: NPR's "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" is taped at Chicago's Chase one of these venues
(Sandie: What is stadium?)

SOMETHING TO EAT $800: This Italian ice cream typically consists of three flavors that often contain chopped fruit & nuts

LITERARY CHARACTERS $1000: Seen here is the symbol of Simon Templar, also known as this modern-day Robin Hood

"J" MOVIES $400: 2009:
Meryl Streep prepares a chicken
(Ben: What is Julia?)

CAPITALS OF NON-COUNTRIES $1600: Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel is the capital of this Portuguese archipelago
(Joshua: What are the Canary Islands?)

CLASSICAL RADIO $1200: Sirius XM 76 calls itself this type of classical work "Hall"
(Joshua: What's concert?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mowgli
Pandemonium
Latium
a beetle
Martin Scorsese
Once
Tanglewood
WGBH
the Tet Offensive
Jacob's Ladder
the Cook Islands
fixtures
impartiality
Water for Elephants
auditorium
spumoni
the Saint
Julie & Julia
the Azores
symphony

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm

What a lovely exercise in watching fish shot in a barrel. Ben was the first quarter-finalist to become a semi-finalist, and now he is the last semi-finalist to become a finalist. I have high hopes for an exciting two-day contest among Julia, Ben, and Arthur. Let there be some suspense at this time tomorrow!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

21st Century Novels
Set in the Great Depression, this 2006 novel has an epigraph from "Horton Hatches the Egg".

Spoiler
Show
What is Water for Elephants? Joshua said "Thanks for clapping for me, Mom & Cami"; Sandie had no guess.

Ben Ingram: $29,800+$0=$29,800...advances to Finals
Sandie Baker: $5,400-$5,000=$400
Joshua Brakhage: $2,600-$6=$2,594
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 pm

11/11! 8-)

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:11/11! 8-)
HELL!! YEAH!!

Ben Ingram now holds a distinction no one else in this contest does: He has set a Jeopardy! record.

Maybe his FJs were easier than most, and maybe he wouldn't have gone 9/9 on Drew's FJs, or got all of Arthur's 12 or Julia's 21, but the fact is, he has a record.

GO! BEN! GO!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 pm

RKane wrote:
HELL!! YEAH!!

Ben Ingram now holds a distinction no one else in this contest does: He has set a Jeopardy! record.

Maybe his FJs were easier than most, and maybe he wouldn't have gone 9/9 on Drew's FJs, or got all of Arthur's 12 or Julia's 21, but the fact is, he has a record.

GO! BEN! GO!
Not sure if it's a record (yet--maybe after Friday).
Cubbage? Hopefully one of the resident experts will fill us in.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Ben. Holy crow. Credit to him for destroying the idea that this tournament was a two-horse race.

Quite a game. Ran the capitals category, so that gives me Lach trash of Cook Islands (which had a hint of a guess for me, I thought for a second it may have been Christmas Islands but I believe they're Australian) and "Beetles" which I was surprised no one got.

Got Water for Elephants after twenty seconds. Horton = elephant = maybe that movie with Reese Witherspoon I've never seen was based on a book = bingo.

Anybody know what Ben was mouthing during the introductions?

zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
RKane wrote:
HELL!! YEAH!!

GO! BEN! GO!
Not sure if it's a record (yet--maybe after Friday).
Cubbage? Hopefully one of the resident experts will fill us in.
Pretty sure Larissa Kelly held the previous record, 7 FJs in her regular games, 3 in the ToC. Ken Jennings also had 10 correct FJs in a row from his 54th game to 63rd game. Ben Ingram showed tonight by his new record and overall gameplay that he's not just a third wheel against Arthur Chu and Julia Collins, he's a serious contender to win. I'm rooting for him and Julia to sweep the finals.

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Larissa's wikipedia article indicates that her streak of 10/10 starting from her first show is the record. I suppose that could be wrong, but I've just always known it said that and accepted it blindly. It appears someone has already updated her page to note Ben surpassed it. Too bad, too, in a way because Roger already passed her 5-day total (of course, that record had the Spangeberg Asterisk next to it anyways) and, most of her records that ended with "by a woman" have been passed by Stephanie and/or Julia (not that I put any stock in "by a woman" records, it seems kind of sexist to me).

I also know that on the J-Archive, this link: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=40 indicates that Ken had a streak of 10 correct FJs. I imagine that was his longest, and, anyways, it was not from the beginning of his J! career (he managed a streak of 1).

As for Cubbage, he was wrong in his first game, http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4410, and his other three CC games aren't archived. That being said, he was 4/4 in ToC, 1/1 in SJ, 1/1 in UToC and 3/3 in BotD, so that's a streak of at least 9. Depending on how he did in his other 3 CC games, he could have a streak up to 12 I guess (not from satart of career though), which Ben could still in theory break anyways, but either way, good call, that is impressive.

Although, I believe that, while not really a record per se, Cubbage does have the distinction of being the only person to play Ken and Brad in seperate matches. So there's that.

So anyways, I'm going to go ahead and assume Ben has the record until demonstrated otherwise.
Last edited by RKane on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:01 pm

grindcore wrote: Anybody know what Ben was mouthing during the introductions?
I think another "hi, mom"

Anyone know what he was mouthing when he learned his answer was right? My guess is "holy $#!+!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 pm

I thought What Day Is It? was mostly a game of context. $400 seemed the most obscure, but I still threw out "Friday" for a chance at the run, and was surprised that it was right.

Food category went easier than I expected. Got the first three, then negged with neapolitan for spumoni, which gave me enough pause to clam on moo goo gai pan.

I've actually heard of Water for Elephants, but it just wasn't coming no matter how much time I gave it. Once again my mind goes completely blank during FJ! and I can't think of anything that fits the category, nor make any leaps in logic from the words in the clue. Horton should've triggered it, but I spent all my time thinking about "Depression" and going nowhere. Why am I so completely unable to make my brain work on FJ!, even when I deliberately give myself extra time?!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:30 pm

That was a serious ass-kicking. Impressive.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Ben was very impressive! I got 25 clues correct including Latium, Tanglewood, and fixtures, but I had no guess on FJ.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Congrats to Ben on the win! That was a performance for the ages.

This was a nightmare board for me, except for the easy run in the Capitals category in the DJ round. I did think that this was the most well written board of the tournament so far, though. I am hoping for similar quality for the finals.

I didn't even have a guess on FJ. I had only vaguely heard of the book.

I can't wait for the finals! Ben and Arthur have clearly been the top two players in the tournament, but Juila isn't going down without a fight. It should be a great two games.

sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm

grindcore wrote:Anybody know what Ben was mouthing during the introductions?
I think it was "Hello South Carolina" or "Go South Carolina" and "I love you Liz".

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm

36 right.

Lit- 2; Enter- 3; Day- 5; Name- 1; Eat- 2; "Ium"- 4
Capital- 4; "J"- 3; Radio- 3; Real- 1; Attitude- 5; 12 L-V- 3

Lach trash: "Pandemonium", "Martin Scorsese"

I went with Book of Mormon (thinking of the FJ from Battle of the Decades and thought it was another book of the same name from the 2000's, but it's only a play) for FJ. Impressive that Ben hasn't missed a FJ in any of his games; I've missed all the TOC FJ questions so far. Ben, Julia, and Arthur are 3 solid players; should be fun. 8-)
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Any aspiring contestants can learn a lesson from this game on the importance of buzzer speed, both as a means for control of the board and as a weapon to crush spirits. Freaking impressive.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:09 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought What Day Is It? was mostly a game of context. $400 seemed the most obscure, but I still threw out "Friday" for a chance at the run, and was surprised that it was right.
That was from Robinson Crusoe. Should they have gone with the main character of Dragnet, the King of the Neighborhood of Make-Believe or Rebecca Black?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Ben was clearly guessing on Monday but I loved the look on his face when he got the Tueday one. I wonder what Thursday and Saturday clues they had as replacements.

That was a great performance by Ben. I have heard of the book, but have no idea what it is about so my FJ page was left blank.