The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tempe at $200? 99 times out of 100, when they want an Arizona city in the top box, they want Phoenix.

WLT Martin Luther King Jr. or "Division of Labor" at $400?
Tempe: It's where Arizona State University is. Not the most obvious top-row clue ever, but it's a well-known fact.
MLK: Category about Juniors + reverend + historically black college.
Division of labor: Common phrase referring to specialization of tasks.
Sprinkles are for winners.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tempe: It's where Arizona State University is. Not the most obvious top-row clue ever, but it's a well-known fact.
[citation needed]

I don't know where every university is, if it's one I don't know I assume it's the state capital. If it's top box, I'll ring in on it. I'm with TPH here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tempe: It's where Arizona State University is. Not the most obvious top-row clue ever, but it's a well-known fact.
[citation needed]

I don't know where every university is, if it's one I don't know I assume it's the state capital. If it's top box, I'll ring in on it. I'm with TPH here.
I mostly agree with you there, but I believe the cardinals played at the college stadium for years exposing a large population to the university's location.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Then, if you know that Booker T. Washington is African American, it's a pretty good chance that he was talking about a famous African American woman,
Which never occurred to me.
Elijah Baley wrote:and further, that it had to be before 1913.
Which is meaningless to me, because I have no idea on the dates of any of the possibilities.
Elijah Baley wrote:And, it was someone who had engaged in Biblical level heroics.
Which could be nearly anyone.
So nothing in the clue was going to help you much as the category of NOTABLE WOMEN already let you know it was going to be a she. All dying in 1913 does it make you guess someone in the 1800s, so like you posted it could be nearly anyone. A J! person quickly narrows the possibilities (black man, so black woman, 1800s...) while someone with WOF as the strength is going to have a tougher time.

You also missed the Thursday FJ! clue that wanted a famous woman, so those kinds of clues asking for people are not good for you. The current poll tally for the Keller clue is 88% and I would guess Tubman will be above 80% as well.

Many of us on the board have a tough time with the Anagrams or the Words within Words type clues while those play better for you.

If you are watching J! on a delayed recording perhaps you can pause the FJ! clue after 30 seconds and try an additional half minute of thinking time just to see if more time helps? It's still a miss but solving it late beats not at all. I get the impression nothing was going to help you get Tubman, but I suspect Keller was possible for you once you saw the hint in the clue.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:If you are watching J! on a delayed recording perhaps you can pause the FJ! clue after 30 seconds and try an additional half minute of thinking time just to see if more time helps? It's still a miss but solving it late beats not at all. I get the impression nothing was going to help you get Tubman, but I suspect Keller was possible for you once you saw the hint in the clue.
I accidentally saw the clue when scrolling through the forums, and saw enough of the words to set the wheels turning. But even when I saw the clue, paused it for two minutes, and kept trying to think, nothing happened. No names came to mind at all, no key words jumped out.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If you are watching J! on a delayed recording perhaps you can pause the FJ! clue after 30 seconds and try an additional half minute of thinking time just to see if more time helps? It's still a miss but solving it late beats not at all. I get the impression nothing was going to help you get Tubman, but I suspect Keller was possible for you once you saw the hint in the clue.
I accidentally saw the clue when scrolling through the forums, and saw enough of the words to set the wheels turning. But even when I saw the clue, paused it for two minutes, and kept trying to think, nothing happened. No names came to mind at all, no key words jumped out.
Not all clues are things that people know off the top of their head. I certainly never heard of the comment from Booker T. Washington about Harriet Tubman and didn't have a clue that she lived until 1913. But, many clues (and especially FJ clues) require a little bit of thinking - although sometimes in way too short a period of time - to process and I just illustrated how I came to be pretty certain that Tubman was the correct response - and I suspect most others who got it had a pretty similar thought process. It's a great suggestion to pause FJ clues, for example, or any others, to try to work through a process. (And the FJ clue can be found on the Jeopardy webpage, so you can take a whole day with it before the show airs).

Last night's clue was one that I wasn't ever going to get, despite knowing of Space Oddity - sometimes it simply doesn't come, even after several minutes.

But, either you're interested in trying to develop a way of thinking through these things - and you'd likely discover that you know more than you realize - or you're not.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote:Last night's clue was one that I wasn't ever going to get, despite knowing of Space Oddity - sometimes it simply doesn't come, even after several minutes.
And a lot of the time it doesn't come becuase you've never heard of it. I've barely heard of David Bowie, and could've told you neither his nationality nor any of his song titles.
Elijah Baley wrote:But, either you're interested in trying to develop a way of thinking through these things - and you'd likely discover that you know more than you realize - or you're not.
What I'm finding is that I'm only getting worse. I've tried pausing for several minutes and poking at the clue to see what keywords might set things into motion, but it never happens. Either I get it right away because it's something I know cold, or I spend the whole time in stunned silence. There's never an in between because I don't know how to think about it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Romeo's last name is Montague and Juliet's is Capulet.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Romeo's last name is Montague and Juliet's is Capulet.
O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? (Which means "WHY are you Romeo, A Montague, and not anyone else who is NOT a Montague?!" NOT "Where are you dude?"!)
Deny they father and refuse thy name; (which means to disown Dad and be no more a Montague, natural enemies of Capulet)
Or, if thou wilt not,
Be but sworn my love; (This means to take the marriage vows, after which she will of course be a Montague; NOT to curse or any such vulgarity, although it does imply the marriage bed*!)
And I'll no longer be a Capulet! -'J.C.' ;)

*this reminds of of Will's bequest to his wife (Anne Hathaway, NOT Anne Hathaway!):
Spoiler
His second best bed
Last edited by goatman on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For once, I actually remembered that Juliet's last name is Capulet because they both end in Et. Where I failed here is thinking that the other J.C. would be the sole title character of their play.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For once, I actually remembered that Juliet's last name is Capulet because they both end in Et. Where I failed here is thinking that the other J.C. would be the sole title character of their play.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
but in ourselves, that we are underlings."
-Cassius
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT China, lightning bolt, or Gauguin in the top box?
Again with the Gauguin? I'd've thought after all this time quoting that C&H line you'd've looked into his history.
Spoiler
TAHITI

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Vowela wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I recognize Togo. At least to the point that I couldn't place it on a continent at $200. That whole category was miles over my head, and I saw no way to figure any of those out.
The clue asking you which continent Togo was on was the only question that actually required any minimal knowledge of Togo, which is probably most of what I know of Togo. I still ran the category, which I was very much not expecting.
And I didn't even know that much. What were the TOMs on the rest?
$200: continent = Africa - Yeah if you don't know this one then yes, mark the zero for the category
$400: currency = same as France so franc - think McFly and don't get distracted by the things in the clue you don't know
$600: world cup sport = soccer - go with the obvious and you if guess rugby or cricket instead that's no big crime
$800: malaria creature = mosquito - ignore the photo with the bed and netting and listen to Alex
$1000: Muslim holy month = Ramadan - It's J! so it's always going to be that Pavlov

So, basic geography to get $200 and the rest required zero knowledge of Togo

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

WLT Elizabeth I at $400?
Shakespeare was quite famously active during the Elizabethan era. And, yes, you should know this. Shakespeare trivia comes up a lot and this is a very basic fact about him.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

No guess on FJ! Lord of the Flies comes up all the time, but they take a different path to it every time, so I can never pick up on any TOMs or key words for it. NHO Piggy that I recall. What should I know about that book anyway?
You may as well ask, "why read any well-known book?" Lord of the Flies is standard high school fare because, at least in part, the book involves other kids, so it's a little more accessible. It's not particularly long. And, it's an interesting take on the question of how civilized are we really, when you take away social restrictions and people give into fear.

Ultimately, either you are a reader or you're not - I don't know if someone can be taught to appreciate a good book - but then again, in today's world, there's probably a film version to be found somewhere.

davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote:
No guess on FJ! Lord of the Flies comes up all the time, but they take a different path to it every time, so I can never pick up on any TOMs or key words for it. NHO Piggy that I recall. What should I know about that book anyway?
You may as well ask, "why read any well-known book?" Lord of the Flies is standard high school fare because, at least in part, the book involves other kids, so it's a little more accessible. It's not particularly long. And, it's an interesting take on the question of how civilized are we really, when you take away social restrictions and people give into fear.

Ultimately, either you are a reader or you're not - I don't know if someone can be taught to appreciate a good book - but then again, in today's world, there's probably a film version to be found somewhere.
Stick with the first of two LotF movie adaptations, the black-and-white one from 1963. I remember it far better than the book (though mostly, still, for Piggy... ;) ). Though I fear we'll get a question, What is black-and-white??

BobF

Post by BobF »

davey wrote:Though I fear we'll get a question, What is black-and-white??
Or WLT black-and-white in 1963?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:

Stick with the first of two LotF movie adaptations, the black-and-white one from 1963. I remember it far better than the book (though mostly, still, for Piggy... ;) ). Though I fear we'll get a question, What is black-and-white??
Yes, that 1963 version was well done - and was probably how I was able to come up with Piggy (thanks, TCM!) since it's been decades since I read the book.

I've said before that a regular Turner Classics Movie viewer would have a leg up in a couple categories, including literature. Of course, it requires a bit of paying attention and a fair amount of memory but it would do in a pinch as a substitute to reading a lot of Dickens, Shakespeare, Austen, etc.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It's the same thing with books, movies, and music. I grew up exposed to so little that, even when part of me wants to try something new, I have no idea where to start. I have no bearing on what I might like or what even sounds interesting. For instance, I listened to Metallica's black album last night because I had been recommended it as a fairly accessible metal album. But I have no idea what to think of it because it's so removed from anything I know.

I don't remember reading a single novel in four years of high school English.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

If you're having trouble getting started reading novels, a very easy way would be to watch a movie version of Tom Sawyer (there are lots out there, and most are at least OK), and then read the book. It's available in every library and bookstore, and even free online.