The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote:How about maybe "when were planes first used in a war?" That's as simple as it gets, absent other information.
The clue didn't say that, though, did it? "First war with the RFC" ≠ "First war where planes of any kind were used". It's still very possible that the RFC wasn't started until later, and very possible that some other corps using planes existed for WWI.
Volante wrote:I didn't answer "WW1" knowing the plot or even a summary of 'Khaki Wings' nor did I know it based on knowledge of the RFC, and it was only after this thread started I even realized they used RFC and not the RAF (it was "Royal flyers blah" in my head.)

Instead, I pick "planes, British, fledgling, war," turn it into "First war in which the British fought with planes," roll the dice with WW1 and figure the writers wouldn't trick me with the Bambatha Rebellion.
There's the rub, though. You openly admit you had to take a totally ex-recto guess, with a chance that the response might be something far more obscure. They've Gigi Grazer'd us before, no reason not to believe they'll do it again.

You shouldn't have to guess on the top box, either.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:I didn't answer "WW1" knowing the plot or even a summary of 'Khaki Wings' nor did I know it based on knowledge of the RFC, and it was only after this thread started I even realized they used RFC and not the RAF (it was "Royal flyers blah" in my head.)

Instead, I pick "planes, British, fledgling, war," turn it into "First war in which the British fought with planes," roll the dice with WW1 and figure the writers wouldn't trick me with the Bambatha Rebellion.
There's the rub, though. You openly admit you had to take a totally ex-recto guess, with a chance that the response might be something far more obscure. They've Gigi Grazer'd us before, no reason not to believe they'll do it again.

If I only answered clues that I knew the response to based only on the facts in the clue, and I'd wager this applies to contestants too, we'd see, like, Coryats half as large as we've been seeing, if not lower.

And let's not forget the name of the game is jeopardy, or as Webster's defines it: exposure to or imminence of...loss...
You put yourself in jeopardy EACH TIME YOU RING IN.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: There's the rub, though. You openly admit you had to take a totally ex-recto guess, with a chance that the response might be something far more obscure. They've Gigi Grazer'd us before, no reason not to believe they'll do it again.

Yes, it MIGHT be the very obscure conflict from around the same time period. It PROBABLY isn't, especially if it's in the top row. Part of being good at the game is knowing when it's good to take a reasonable risk and when to avoid wild guessing. And of course, if you'd never heard of the Bambatha Rebellion (I hadn't) you'd be in fine shape on this clue.

You say you shouldn't have to guess on the top row. I agree. If you're able to make LOGICAL INFERENCES, you can come up with an answer that's probably correct. Even if you're not 100% sure of your answer, that's very different from a guess.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:Yes, it MIGHT be the very obscure conflict from around the same time period. It PROBABLY isn't, especially if it's in the top row. Part of being good at the game is knowing when it's good to take a reasonable risk and when to avoid wild guessing. And of course, if you'd never heard of the Bambatha Rebellion (I hadn't) you'd be in fine shape on this clue.
Unless...
zakharov wrote:You say you shouldn't have to guess on the top row. I agree. If you're able to make LOGICAL INFERENCES, you can come up with an answer that's probably correct. Even if you're not 100% sure of your answer, that's very different from a guess.
...you lack the ability to make logical inferences. My "logical inference" was that "it could've been literally any war after the invention of airplanes".
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:How about maybe "when were planes first used in a war?" That's as simple as it gets, absent other information.
The clue didn't say that, though, did it? "First war with the RFC" ≠ "First war where planes of any kind were used". It's still very possible that the RFC wasn't started until later, and very possible that some other corps using planes existed for WWI.

The clue didn't explicitly state that, but the point is that if you don't actually know the answer (which I didn't), you use Occam's Razor to simplify it as much as possible and guess at it. Sure, it's possible the RFC didn't start until later. But you don't know the answer anyways, and you're playing at home with no risk, so just try to do your best. Also, it can be as simple as: it COULD be any of those wars, but it's asking for the first one, so I'll just guess the first war where airplanes could have been used.

Speaking for myself, there are a ton of answers which I don't actually know when watching J!, but I can give my best guess and get it right a fair amount of the time.

In the top box, it should be easy to guess the answer. If you shouldn't have to guess on the top box, then it makes it a YKIOYD question.
Last edited by 1stlvlthinker on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Unless...
zakharov wrote:You say you shouldn't have to guess on the top row. I agree. If you're able to make LOGICAL INFERENCES, you can come up with an answer that's probably correct. Even if you're not 100% sure of your answer, that's very different from a guess.
...you lack the ability to make logical inferences. My "logical inference" was that "it could've been literally any war after the invention of airplanes".
Maybe you should work on that skill instead of simply giving up at every question.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Unless...you lack the ability to make logical inferences.
Well that's a fairly concise thread summary.

As the previous poster said, I would start attacking this problem rather than worrying about trying to memorize a million random bits of data. The bang for your buck will be much higher.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
OMG, where would the fun be in that? Part of the fun of Jeopardy! is to use our minds to be able to make connections despite some missing information. Very few people who watch the show want the answer handed to them on a silver platter.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote:The clue didn't explicitly state that, but the point is that if you don't actually know the answer (which I didn't), you use Occam's Razor to simplify it as much as possible and guess at it. Sure, it's possible the RFC didn't start until later. But you don't know the answer anyways, and you're playing at home with no risk, so just try to do your best. Also, it can be as simple as: it COULD be any of those wars, but it's asking for the first one, so I'll just guess the first war where airplanes could have been used.
I did use Occam's Razor and as much logic as I could muster, and still got no further than "literally any war in the 20th or 21st century".

I just don't know how to logic AT ALL.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I just don't know how to logic AT ALL.
Which is fine and which I don't hold against you, but when you impugn clue writing/valuation based on your shortcomings in knowledge or thought processes, it rubs a lot of us the wrong way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Then why am I getting worse and worse at playing along? It seems every day, I have more and more recall failures, logic failures, and failure failures. It's why I've stopped tracking my Coryat.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Then why am I getting worse and worse at playing along? It seems every day, I have more and more recall failures, logic failures, and failure failures. It's why I've stopped tracking my Coryat.
Probably because you are worrying more and more about it. And letting other things influence your ability to roll with it.

And you are taking it all far too seriously. You need to realize that whether or not you know this or that, or can figure out one or two of those other things is immaterial in the grand scheme of things. Play along for fun. Don't even bother remembering what you got right or wrong.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of that movie or the Royal Air Corps. I have heard of the RAF. So I assumed the RAC was some ancestor of the RAF and would have been formed long ago. When would a new service consisting of air power most likely have made its debut? How about the first major conflict featuring airplane battles?

Yes, it was a total guess as I had never even heard of that movie or the RAC. But if it had been WWII, I would have felt the clue was very unfair and misleading.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I had never heard of that movie or the Royal Air Corps. I have heard of the RAF. So I assumed the RAC was some ancestor of the RAF and would have been formed long ago. When would a new service consisting of air power most likely have made its debut? How about the first major conflict featuring airplane battles?

Yes, it was a total guess as I had never even heard of that movie or the RAC. But if it had been WWII, I would have felt the clue was very unfair and misleading.
No one's heard of that movie. It's a book.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The DD in Nixon struck me as very YEKIOYD. Just pick two random big newspapers.
Woodward and Bernstein worked for the Washington Post, so that was clearly one of them. That means you just need to name one more and the New York Times is the United States' most famous newspaper, also it was the paper that published The Pentagon Papers, although I admit that seems a little obscure.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Happy Birthday TPH! May all your dreams come true.

Especially if you dream of us JBoarders becoming Jeopardy! champions.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MattKnowles wrote:Happy Birthday TPH! May all your dreams come true.

+1

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Happy Birthday TPH-

I hope you have a good day - focus on the good things in your life! I have no doubt we will see you killing it on WOF sometime soon.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bpmod wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:Happy Birthday TPH! May all your dreams come true.

+1

Brian

make it +2. I always chuckle when I click this thread and see Alietr's first post "I doubt if it will catch on..." You got your OWN TPH thread, man! That and a nickel will get you, well, nothing. Happy Name day.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

twelvefootboy wrote:make it +2. I always chuckle when I click this thread and see Alietr's first post "I doubt if it will catch on..." You got your OWN TPH thread, man! That and a nickel will get you, well, nothing. Happy Name day.
Not nothing... it'd give you five cents :)

Happy BD, TPH!