The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 pmAs to sizes, for the 4 gas giants, their order from the Sun is also their size order.
I have no idea how many times this has been pointed out to me, but it just NEVER sticks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, if I can't for the life of me figure out how to shortcut 1400-592, what should I work my way up to? Or should I just admit defeat in math?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 pm re: Planets
Once again, I can't keep any of the planets straight. Apollo = Mercury was news to me, and I can NEVER manage to keep Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus-Neptune straight in terms of "which is biggest", "which has rings", etc.
I'll admit the Mercury/Apollo thing was news to me as well. That surprised me in the top row.
I've never heard it before either but it was easy to suss out for top row: Apollo is associated with the sun. The sun is not a planet but Mercury, being closest to the Sun, is the most logical planet I could think of to be associated with the Sun.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Some help please from somebody who is a WOF watcher:

I set my DVD for Wheel of Fortune but want to make sure my local channel isn't just doing syndicated reruns. Would today's game be Season 35 Episode 57? The first puzzle solve is
Spoiler
Connecting the Dots
. Vanna has an orange dress.

I won't be home when TPH debuts on Dec 8 (is it always just a one day gig?) because I'll be en route to Culver City (so I can pad my FJ poll score sometime next winter by cheating :lol: ).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm (is it always just a one day gig?)
Yes
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm Some help please from somebody who is a WOF watcher:

I set my DVD for Wheel of Fortune but want to make sure my local channel isn't just doing syndicated reruns. Would today's game be Season 35 Episode 57? The first puzzle solve is
Spoiler
Connecting the Dots
. Vanna has an orange dress.
That is correct.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 pm Okay, if I can't for the life of me figure out how to shortcut 1400-592, what should I work my way up to? Or should I just admit defeat in math?
I can't help with the Common Core solution the others were using, but I like the "borrowing method," that's where you make the numbers easier to deal with, then fix it at the end.

In this case, "borrow" 92 to make it the much easier solve of 1492-592 = 900.
Then, "pay back" the 92 with 900-92 to get a final answer of 808.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 pm
I don't see how to make 900-92 easier because that involves borrowing.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 pm
Wheatley wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 pm
I don't see how to make 900-92 easier because that involves borrowing.
For me it's easier to solve when one side is a round number.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, then how do I shortcut 900-92?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 pm Okay, if I can't for the life of me figure out how to shortcut 1400-592, what should I work my way up to? Or should I just admit defeat in math?
I'd round the 592 to 600. 1400-600 is 800, then add the extra eight for 808.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 pm re: Planets
Once again, I can't keep any of the planets straight. Apollo = Mercury was news to me, and I can NEVER manage to keep Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus-Neptune straight in terms of "which is biggest", "which has rings", etc.
I'll admit the Mercury/Apollo thing was news to me as well. That surprised me in the top row.
I've never heard it before either but it was easy to suss out for top row: Apollo is associated with the sun. The sun is not a planet but Mercury, being closest to the Sun, is the most logical planet I could think of to be associated with the Sun.
My problem with that solution is that you've got about 2 seconds to work through that logic. I'd need 10 to 15 seconds for that. Also, you have to know that Apollo is associated with the Sun. So you're substituting one missing bit of Greek/Roman mythology for another missing bit.

For me, that's a 4th or 5th row question. Top row would be more like "Due to it's orbital speed, this planet is named after a swift-footed Roman god." You could answer the clue by putting together the swift orbital speed, or knowing which Roman god has fast feet.

While we're at it, the rotation every 24 hours, 37 minutes should be a dead giveaway to anyone who has watched "The Martian". So movie buffs can suss out what, at first blush, looks like a pure science question.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 pm
I go at it the other way around. It's 8 to get from 592 to 600, then another 800 from there to 1400. So 808 combined.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had a problem trying to figure out why a planet would be associated with Apollo. Why isn’t the planet called Apollo?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 am
While we're at it, the rotation every 24 hours, 37 minutes should be a dead giveaway to anyone who has watched "The Martian". So movie buffs can suss out what, at first blush, looks like a pure science question.
I don't know about that. I watched The Martian and enjoyed it so much that I went out and read the book. But with all of the facts and science thrown at me, it would be pretty amazing to think that that one fact stood out. Which - it didn't. Mars did occur to me but only because I thought maybe it's similarly sized to the Earth. But otherwise - I think that's still a pretty esoteric fact to take away from the movie.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:41 pm Okay, then how do I shortcut 900-92?
Look, at some point, you're just going to have to learn it. This is a pretty simple problem here and we use it to get to the rest of the problem.

What's 10-2?
What's 100-92?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 am
I don't know about that. I watched The Martian and enjoyed it so much that I went out and read the book. But with all of the facts and science thrown at me, it would be pretty amazing to think that that one fact stood out. Which - it didn't. Mars did occur to me but only because I thought maybe it's similarly sized to the Earth. But otherwise - I think that's still a pretty esoteric fact to take away from the movie.
Yeah, I got that one, but not because of "The Martian" and I've read the book and seen the movie. He talks about "sols" a lot, but I don't recall a lot of dwelling on the length of a Martian day. Not to say it's not mentioned, but it's not something I recall after a couple years.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:41 pm Okay, then how do I shortcut 900-92?
Look, at some point, you're just going to have to learn it. This is a pretty simple problem here and we use it to get to the rest of the problem.

What's 10-2?
What's 100-92?
And what part of that is a shortcut?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Several years ago, I watched some videos of someone playing a video game called Nitronic Rush. It's a driving game, and if you crash in such a way that your vehicle is destroyed, a random message appears -- something like "BUMMER" or "TOO BAD" or "HOLY TOLEDO".

My favorite by far, though, was "IT KEEPS HAPPENING".

Just sharing a video game memory that definitely doesn't have anything to do with anything in particular.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 pm
:?: :?: :?: