The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by OSXpert »

Hey, come on. There's at least five seconds of spoken dialogue in Evita.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?
Beats me. My best guess is that they were all uncomfortable with the Inquisition. They did leave the category for last.
Yep. As soon as they missed that softball creampuff of a clue, I said, "So THAT'S why you were avoiding the category!" When Jamie hit the DD in that category two clues later, I yelled at her to bet $5. She didn't listen and lost $600. I think the category just freaked the players out. In another context, I doubt they'd have any trouble coming up with the word "heresy" or realizing that people who aren't present for their own immolations get burned "in effigy".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 amsoftball creampuff of a clue
[citation needed]
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 amIn another context, I doubt they'd have any trouble coming up with the word "heresy" or realizing that people who aren't present for their own immolations get burned "in effigy".
I still think "heresy" in any context is a bit much for the top box.
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

You watched “Evita” in high school? I figured you to be way older than that.

And “heresy” was indeed a creampuff answer. A six-letter word relating to the Spanish Inquisition WECIB?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am
[citation needed]
Ok, here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am
[citation needed]
Ok, here.
Well done, my fine flightless friend.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm I knew the movie because we watched in high school, but not the musical.
Most good movie musicals were stage musicals first.

You got to watch Evita in school? The best I got was "Powers of Ten". (You can check that one out on YouTube.)
My wife likes movies, and musicals, but she hated Evita (and I've never known her to "hate" any movie) because she says that there was way too much singing, there wasn't any non-sung lines at all, according to her (I haven't watched it).

So, if mrs. dhkendall was right, Evita is the most musical of any musicals. There is no musical more of a musical than Evita.
Well, there is always The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. There's not a single spoken word of dialogue! (And I'm pretty sure that there is at least some spoken dialogue in Evita although I admittedly wouldn't put much money on it as it's been 20 years since I've seen it).
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm The whole Spanish Inquisition was about heretics and heresies. It's properly placed at 200.
Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still think "heresy" is an obscure enough word that I can understand it being a TS at $200 in any context. Let's see how it polls.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?
Win!
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm The whole Spanish Inquisition was about heretics and heresies. It's properly placed at 200.
Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the most magical thread on the internet.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am I still think "heresy" is an obscure enough word that I can understand it being a TS at $200 in any context. Let's see how it polls.
It's only Tuesday but "heresy" doesn't seem like a particularly interesting poll question. You are literally the only one who seems to think the word is obscure. My guess for the TS is that it was simply too obvious an answer and they were probably trying to come up with something else.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am I still think "heresy" is an obscure enough word that I can understand it being a TS at $200 in any context. Let's see how it polls.
It's only Tuesday but "heresy" doesn't seem like a particularly interesting poll question. You are literally the only one who seems to think the word is obscure. My guess for the TS is that it was simply too obvious an answer and they were probably trying to come up with something else.
You're all saying this is "obvious" but I'm not seeing it at all. It clearly wasn't "obvious" to the contestants if they stood and stared. THE TOP BOX SHOULD NEVER BE A STAND AND STARE.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pm
You're all saying this is "obvious" but I'm not seeing it at all. It clearly wasn't "obvious" to the contestants if they stood and stared. THE TOP BOX SHOULD NEVER BE A STAND AND STARE.
It was a top box clue because it's essentially the most basic fact there is about the Spanish Inquisition. Well, OK, besides that it occurred in Spain...

I don't think it's terribly surprising that it was a triple stumper, since you need to come up with the word "heresy." I wouldn't call it obscure, but it's certainly not a word you hear every day.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pm
Again, I think it was just too obvious an answer so they could have been trying to come up with something else. It's also very possible that all three of them just drew a blank.

If anything, the $400 clue was the undervalued clue, asking about marranos. The way the clue was framed you had a 50/50 shot - Islam or Judaism - but there wasn't much to go on for the coin toss. I lived in Spain many years ago and the word jogged a memory but I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't live there or who specifically studied the subject to know that one.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pmTHE TOP BOX SHOULD NEVER BE A STAND AND STARE.
I think that's your basic problem right there.

I have several categories where I would stand and stare at the whole category. Including the top box. We are all in that position in one category or another. Some have more categories, some have less, but we all have gaps in our knowledge.

It just so happened that in this particular game and in this particular setting, all three of the players had a knowledge gap around the Spanish Inquisition. At a minimum, all three players were avoiding the category, leaving it alone until all other clues were exhausted.

If you DO know a bit about the Spanish Inquisition (and every Monty Python fan should know a tiny bit at least!), one of the first things you learn is that it was about one group of people disagreeing with another, with the group in power labeling the group out of power "heretics".

That all three contestants didn't know that (or couldn't come up with it in the requisite 5 or 10 seconds) is not a reflection on the clue, it's a reflection on the contestants. It just shows that even a group of fairly smart people will still have areas where none of them are knowledgeable.
--Peter
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pmTHE TOP BOX SHOULD NEVER BE A STAND AND STARE.
I think that's your basic problem right there.

I have several categories where I would stand and stare at the whole category. Including the top box. We are all in that position in one category or another. Some have more categories, some have less, but we all have gaps in our knowledge.

It just so happened that in this particular game and in this particular setting, all three of the players had a knowledge gap around the Spanish Inquisition. At a minimum, all three players were avoiding the category, leaving it alone until all other clues were exhausted.

If you DO know a bit about the Spanish Inquisition (and every Monty Python fan should know a tiny bit at least!), one of the first things you learn is that it was about one group of people disagreeing with another, with the group in power labeling the group out of power "heretics".

That all three contestants didn't know that (or couldn't come up with it in the requisite 5 or 10 seconds) is not a reflection on the clue, it's a reflection on the contestants. It just shows that even a group of fairly smart people will still have areas where none of them are knowledgeable.
Sports categories come to mind; it's not unusual to see three folks stand and stare at a question that even a casual sports fan would know - because any three given contestants are not necessarily even casual sports fans. I'm the same way with video game and current/country music categories, among several others.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got heresy but I agree it might not have belonged in the top box. It isn’t a word you hear every day. Plus, the clue specified six letters, so that makes you nervous ringing in if you worry you might miscount.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bumping because I bumped the 1/27/14 thread. (Game link: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4409 )

I found the "Finding My Inner Scot" category very tough, and I don't get how to figure out any of these.
Hoot, mon! Bring over your best whisky; it's Hogmanay, this "auld" holiday
Okay, I admit I missed "auld" -> Auld Lang Syne. Still leaves it a coinflip on Eve or Day.

Now for the rest:
Och, Angus brought over his bairn, one of these, with a face only a mother could love
It's foghar, this foggy season of the year; a great time to drink!
Don't peenge to me, this activity, or you'll get na haggis
Put on your wellies, your boots, & go outside & dig up some tatties, these; we'll need 'em fer tha party
I see no key words in any of those.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.

"Bairn" is a gimme for anyone slightly familiar with Scots (referring to the language/dialect, not the people). "With a face only a mother could love" may be a hint towards baby, but not a particularly strong one.

What season is foggy? I guessed autumn, but like "a great time to drink," I don't feel that really narrows it down. May be a YEKIOYD.

"Peenge" is probably YEKIOYD as well, only narrowed down by the context clue of it being something you don't want someone else to do to you.

"Tatties" are something that get dug up, and I guess things you'd dig up for a party would have to be food. "Tatties" sounds about as much like "potatoes" as "taters" does.