The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6028
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
What season is foggy? I guessed autumn, but like "a great time to drink," I don't feel that really narrows it down. May be a YEKIOYD.
In northern European climates, autumn is the time for fog. Keats famously called it "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" in his poem "To Autumn".

User avatar
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
What season is foggy? I guessed autumn, but like "a great time to drink," I don't feel that really narrows it down. May be a YEKIOYD.
In northern European climates, autumn is the time for fog. Keats famously called it "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" in his poem "To Autumn".
Hogmanay is New Year's Eve, so it's the Eve rather than the Day they're looking for.

As for the 'foggy' clue, you're both right with autumn, since foghar is (Scots) Gaelic for autumn. But I'd definitely consider this one very tricky for anyone not familiar with what is a fairly obscure language.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
Yeah, but "Auld" isn't describing the new year in the song.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6028
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 am

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
Yeah, but "Auld" isn't describing the new year in the song.
Right. It's looking back at the previous one. From the new one.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 am
seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
Yeah, but "Auld" isn't describing the new year in the song.
Right. It's looking back at the previous one. From the new one.
Yep, so the "auld" holiday is the Eve.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6028
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 am
seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
"Auld" = old = not new, so not New Year's Day. No coin necessary.
I'm not so sure about that. Auld Lang Syne is generally sung after midnight at a New Year's party. I'd be reluctant to ring in and guess whether that's considered Eve or Day.
Yeah, but "Auld" isn't describing the new year in the song.
Right. It's looking back at the previous one. From the new one.
Yep, so the "auld" holiday is the Eve.
And the song is being sung on the Day. We can go back and forth forever without pinning this definitively to one or the other. If you want to take one more shot for your side, I'll take it for granted that you can work out the obvious response from the other. I suspect they'd have accepted "What is New Year's?" But I wouldn't be willing to ring in and find out.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am
I still think "heresy" is an obscure enough word that I can understand it being a TS at $200 in any context. Let's see how it polls.
I thinking it might be a good idea for you to run your own poll of clues you wonder about, as you seem to have a disproportionate number of them (and Mark has limited room for poll options), you can combine as many as you want (within the poll limit). If you don't know how to make a poll, I can even talk you through the steps (in PM)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6855
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am
I still think "heresy" is an obscure enough word that I can understand it being a TS at $200 in any context. Let's see how it polls.
I thinking it might be a good idea for you to run your own poll of clues you wonder about, as you seem to have a disproportionate number of them (and Mark has limited room for poll options), you can combine as many as you want (within the poll limit). If you don't know how to make a poll, I can even talk you through the steps (in PM)
I think this sounds like a plan. Mark, please feel free to ignore all my poll requests this week.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm

On the Fleming episode linked in another thread the board values were:

$10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 for the J! round
and
$20, 40, 60, 80 & 100 for the DJ round

The contestant won with
SpoilerShow
$700
What does that winning amount come to in 2018 J! $?

Start think music and 30 seconds.
.
.
.
I think I smell wood burning.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 pm
Also don't know what "clotheslining" is.
You seen the gif alietr sometimes posts called “asshole penguin”? If the titular penguin stuck out its wing a few seconds earlier, knocking down the other from the front instead of behind, they would have “clotheslined” the victim. (Think running around the yard straight into a clothesline. (And *please* tell me you at least know what a clothesline is).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm
On the Fleming episode linked in another thread the board values were:

$10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 for the J! round
and
$20, 40, 60, 80 & 100 for the DJ round

The contestant won with
SpoilerShow
$700
What does that winning amount come to in 2018 J! $?

Start think music and 30 seconds.
.
.
.
I think I smell wood burning.
$14,000
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6855
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:19 am

dhkendall wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 am
You seen the gif alietr sometimes posts called “asshole penguin”? If the titular penguin stuck out its wing a few seconds earlier, knocking down the other from the front instead of behind, they would have “clotheslined” the victim. (Think running around the yard straight into a clothesline. (And *please* tell me you at least know what a clothesline is).
Our clothesline was high enough off the ground that it was impossible to run into the line unless you were like, seven feet tall.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:32 am

The clothesline is also a very common move in professional wrestling.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Don't worry you'll have more chances: search.php?keywords=louis+xiv&terms=all ... mit=Search

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Don't worry you'll have more chances: search.php?keywords=louis+xiv&terms=all ... mit=Search
Strange thing is, he’s heard of Louis XIII and Louis XV, but he’s never heard of Louis XIV.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Don't worry you'll have more chances: search.php?keywords=louis+xiv&terms=all ... mit=Search
Strange thing is, he’s heard of Louis XIII and Louis XV, but he’s never heard of Louis XIV.
He did say in June 2013 that he'd heard of Louis XIV as the Sun King.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6855
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 pm

I've heard of him, just didn't know what was supposed to lead up to him in that clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 pm

If you only know two French kings, the two would be XIV here, and XVI (lost his head to Madame Guillotine in the Revolution).

(Not counting Charlemagne, of course.)
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6855
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am

Clue:

"The furniture style named for him was meant to reflect the grandeur of his 1643-1715 court at Versailles."

No idea where you're getting a king out of that.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am
Clue:

"The furniture style named for him was meant to reflect the grandeur of his 1643-1715 court at Versailles."

No idea where you're getting a king out of that.
Generally only kings and judges hold court. Versailles points you to French royalty (or treaties with Germany in the 20th century, but this is much earlier).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheezguyty, Lefty, NoWhammies10, ouachiouat, RandyG and 49 guests