The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Whatever the case, it's still pretty clear that he's rather dedicated to his attempts. I have to wonder what could drive him to keep going for as long as he has.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm Whatever the case, it's still pretty clear that he's rather dedicated to his attempts. I have to wonder what could drive him to keep going for as long as he has.
Yeah, we wonder a lot about people like that.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 pm I've been sick all day.

Can't say I've heard of Charlize Theron. That's definitely a name that would Hawley-Smoot for me. I ended up bombing the category.
I can: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3650&p=220689&hilit ... ze#p220689

Get well soon and make it third time's the charm for the actress in 2020.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

You've overplayed your hand, TPH.

I have long been suspicious of your rather well-written posts, and this recent series as pretty much confirmed it.

No one who writes that well is as awful at Jeopardy! as you claim to be.

The jig is up.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RKane wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 pm You've overplayed your hand, TPH.

I have long been suspicious of your rather well-written posts, and this recent series as pretty much confirmed it.

The jig is up.
I'm sure there are plenty of great writers who suck at J!.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

The jig is up.
No doubt.

But the level of (alleged) incompetence on display in this topic is far beyond "sucking." I know there are multiple intelligences and all that, but there is correlation, and someone as bad at J! as he claims to be would not be able to string together four words to make a sentence, let alone write an essay like the one he wrote above with the correct punctuation, and meanwhile be a Wikipedia editor.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RKane wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

The jig is up.
No doubt.

But the level of (alleged) incompetence on display in this topic is far beyond "sucking." I know there are multiple intelligences and all that, but there is correlation, and someone as bad at J! as he claims to be would not be able to string together four words to make a sentence, let alone write an essay like the one he wrote above with the correct punctuation, and meanwhile be a Wikipedia editor.
I think your presence in this thread has been an abusive one.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm
RKane wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

The jig is up.
No doubt.

I think your presence in this thread has been an abusive one.
Fair enough.

See ya later
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Could TPH have gotten his second FJ right before Easter? This has to be about the easiest FJ I've seen in years. And I'm not just saying that because I worked as a contractor for the agency in question for 2 1/2 years.
No idea what made this "the easiest in years".
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 am
Could TPH have gotten his second FJ right before Easter? This has to be about the easiest FJ I've seen in years. And I'm not just saying that because I worked as a contractor for the agency in question for 2 1/2 years.
Find your local multiplex. Make a point of seeing what they show and then going every so often.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 am Find your local multiplex. Make a point of seeing what they show and then going every so often.
/implying that a multiplex is "local" to me
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 am Find your local multiplex. Make a point of seeing what they show and then going every so often.
You've got the internet. You can stream all of the Best Picture nominees.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am
I've traveled all over the country and other than the really wide open spaces in the West, i.e., where it can be 50 miles or more between any sizable community, I've yet to find a place where there wasn't a movie theater somewhere nearby. Not to mention that it's only about 3-4 months nowadays between a movie's release and its release on DVD/Netflix.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 am
Any question you already know the answer to is easy!

I'm disappointed I didn't get this one - not because it was easy, but because I knew most of the things I needed to know to figure it out. I have heard of Hidden Figures and know the rough gist of the plot. (A few incredibly talented black women doing much of the number-crunching needed to get the first men into space in the early 1960s.)

What I didn't know was the name of any of the women (the name in the clue was one of the women in question). And what I failed to do was pay attention to the category and put together the pieces I did know.

What I will never understand is a few pretty smart people who seem to lack the capacity to understand how anyone's experience and knowledge can be different from their own.

PS - Find a way to watch the movie. From what I understand, it's one of those rare Oscar Best Picture nominees that is actually a good film for the masses (and not just the critics and insiders).
--Peter
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm
Any question you already know the answer to is easy!
Possibly the truest statement ever made about Jeopardy. Or about life. That would make a dandy signature line.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I agree that it's not fair to call this particular one "the easiest FJ in years", and I'm not just saying that because I missed it. Film is a lacuna for many of us. I freely admit that I should have known it, but it's not as if it was a Kids Week $200 level clue.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am You've got the internet. You can stream all of the Best Picture nominees.
This is either illegal (some of this year's nominees are not officially available for streaming) or costs more money than, I would guess, TPH is willing to pay (e.g., $14.99 a month for HBO GO).
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

trainman wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:00 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am You've got the internet. You can stream all of the Best Picture nominees.
This is either illegal (some of this year's nominees are not officially available for streaming) or costs more money than, I would guess, TPH is willing to pay (e.g., $14.99 a month for HBO GO).
Is there a single 2017 or 2018 Best Picture nominee that's not available either to stream on one of the major services (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) or available for purchase/rental for less than the cost of a movie ticket?

It's been many years since a major movie wasn't available to stream anywhere after its theatrical run. But just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't legally stream it.
davey

Post by davey »

mikebdoss wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm
Is there a single 2017 or 2018 Best Picture nominee that's not available either to stream on one of the major services (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) or available for purchase/rental for less than the cost of a movie ticket?

It's been many years since a major movie wasn't available to stream anywhere after its theatrical run. But just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't legally stream it.
Google makes it very easy to find out. It looks like The Post isn't out yet, and Phantom Thread must have just come out, because it's $14.99. (It's hard to imagine TPH sitting through Phantom Thread anyway...) And Get Out is in HBO rotation, so I guess that pushes up the price for other venues. All the others are $4.99.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Google makes it very easy to find out. It looks like The Post isn't out yet, and Phantom Thread must have just come out, because it's $14.99. (It's hard to imagine TPH sitting through Phantom Thread anyway...) And Get Out is in HBO rotation, so I guess that pushes up the price for other venues. All the others are $4.99.
You shouldn't have to watch a movie to be able to answer a Jeopardy level question about it. And many people miss the answers even if they've seen a movie multiple times. I've seen every Bond movie, and I know Blofeld had a cat but cannot name the James Bond movie(s) he is in.
Spoiler
I'll WAG the man with the golden gun
. If I were intent on doing well on the movie/oscar categories, I'd do it from Wiki or some condensed source of information (IMDB?). There's always buzz that you'd miss without third party attention anyway. Example: O Brother where art thou is based on the Odyssey and I'd wager 30% of viewers don't know that yet.

OK, I doubt if I've added anything to the Captain Obviousness, but hope I didn't make anybody dumber :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.