The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.

If I were in Croatia and saw a kazalište (thank you, Google Translate), I'd have no idea what it was.
If you were Croatia and saw someone outside the kazalište sitting in a car marked "policija" -- would you scalp your tickets in front of him?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How was I supposed to know that was bronze?
Bronze was the earliest (non-natural) alloy used by humans. Also it had the green patina characteristic of copper and bronze is mostly copper. I missed it, though, by glossing over the word "alloy" and said copper.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why TPH is in another FJ! funk:

5/7: A lot of people seemed to struggle with this. I didn't know Wells and Fargo were separate people, or that they were associated with transportation.
5/8: Didn't know the Globe Theatre still existed.
5/9: The fact that William Tell is an opera keeps eluding me, and I didn't see any key words.
5/10: Don't recognize the name Nora Ephron.
5/11: Don't recognize "pocket veto".

5/14: Couldn't sort through the cities to Charleston in time, and probably wouldn't have processed it as being named for a monarch.
5/15: Didn't think of Arabic as "cursive".
5/16: I was choking on "ribbed with pine" so badly that the clue just seemed like a word salad.
5/17: A lot of people struggled with this one.
5/18: Had no idea where to guess. "Colony" + "Catholic" had me outside the US.

5/21: If I've heard the name Harpers Ferry before, then I didn't recognize it as being in the US.
5/22: Also can't say I recognize Pushkin's name at all.
5/23: Didn't know Phobos and Deimos as the names of anything other than moons, but fear=Phobos made sense after the fact.
5/24: Clue didn't make any sense to me. Couldn't figure out where an isthmus would be in Mexico.
5/25: I know Robert Downey, Jr. but didn't recognize either movie named.

5/28: Tuned out "cigar" as background noise and had no idea what to WAG.
5/29: Didn't know what the British Commonwealth is so I had no idea what to WAG.
5/30: Didn't think of Joplin as a "composer" since that word seems more orchstral to me, had no idea what to WAG.
5/31: Couldn't think of what would be "fitting" and can't say I've heard of Europa anyway.
6/1: Had no idea what to guess, since I figured anything I put down would be wrong anyway even in a limited set like Presidents.

6/4: Benjamin Franklin + "Two things" should've been obvious, but it wasn't there for me since "durability" threw me off.
6/5: No idea what to even WAG.
6/6: "rainha" was the only TOM, but it didn't register to me.
6/7: "Avibus" was the only TOM, but it didn't register to me.
6/8: Fictional setting + 1926 + children = nothing I tried worked. Hundred Acre wasn't on my radar.

6/11: Brass instruments + large size between notes = ??????
Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Vowela »

Sometimes you just need to guess. Like today, you said you were deciding between Charlotte's Web and Babe, but didn't choose either because you weren't sure if either was right. It's OK not to be 100% sure, but it's important to guess anyway. A guess you aren't sure about is better than no guess. Today, you'd have had a 50-50 shot just going with one of the two stories you were considering. A 50% chance of getting it right beats a 0% chance of getting it right.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm A 50% chance of getting it right beats a 0% chance of getting it right.
Citation needed.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm Sometimes you just need to guess. Like today, you said you were deciding between Charlotte's Web and Babe, but didn't choose either because you weren't sure if either was right.
I actually scrolled down and looked at the clue early by mistake around 5, so it was fresh in my head. At first glance, I had absolutely nothing.

I was still spinning my wheels when the music started. Babe led me to Dick King-Smith, which had me wondering if maybe The Foxbusters or one of his other books took place on a farm. Then I started tossing off random animal books I could think of from that era. I was still groping for an answer when the music ended.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Your post on September 27 of this season: Brown University rings no bells. Probably because it's an anti-Hawley-Smoot.

Also don't recognize Macduff.

Brown will come up again, so you will get more cracks at it. If you see Rhode Island go for it. It it turns out to be RISD then blame me.

You don't have to recognize Macduff. You know Hamlet for the score tonight on the FJ! clue. Way to go breaking the streak and knowing you can check a box to the good on the weekend's poll.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

No joke, for Thursday's game, you didn't know the answer, looked at the question and took an actual educated guess. This is so much better than clamming up.

Who cares if you got it wrong. So did nearly everyone else.

Keep trying.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:16 am Yeah, so far this "just put anything down for FJ!" technique isn't working for me.
That's because you're just supposed to put something down - not anything - i..e, something at least vaguely related to the category.

6/20: Hallelujah Chorus

6/21: Sydney

6/22: Seven Year Itch

6/25: New York

6/26: No guess, but knew that Senegal was wrong

6/27: Knew what the clue was referring to but couldn't remember what it was called

So it seems I'm at least hitting the "vaguely related to the category" part, but I'm having no more success than if I'd left it blank every time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

On an unrelated note. Pre-Fame Celebs for $400 in this game:
"Just for the taste of it", Demi Moore crawled onto a ledge to get a can of this beverage & plummeted off (but survived)
I thought this was by far the most obscure in the category. "Just for the Taste of It" was Diet Coke's slogan for only a short time in the 80s, and the ad campaign doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy -- the upload of this ad on YouTube that I found has only 8,000 views, and most contemporary articles on Demi Moore don't even mention it.

So with that in mind, how are you supposed to know that this was an ad for DIET Coke specifically? Is this a generational thing?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm On an unrelated note. Pre-Fame Celebs for $400 in this game:
"Just for the taste of it", Demi Moore crawled onto a ledge to get a can of this beverage & plummeted off (but survived)
I thought this was by far the most obscure in the category. "Just for the Taste of It" was Diet Coke's slogan for only a short time in the 80s, and the ad campaign doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy -- the upload of this ad on YouTube that I found has only 8,000 views, and most contemporary articles on Demi Moore don't even mention it.

So with that in mind, how are you supposed to know that this was an ad for DIET Coke specifically? Is this a generational thing?
Ok - so let's agree it's a terrible $400 clue. The rest of the category is pretty easy, right down to the $2000 clue. Or do we not allow for writers to have some misses in clue valuation?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm On an unrelated note. Pre-Fame Celebs for $400 in this game:

The jingle had the slogan followed by "Diet Coke." Chances are good that if you ever heard it, simply reading the slogan would get the rhythm of the full line in your head.

Also, where did you get the idea that the slogan was used for just "a short time in the 80s"? I searched for the slogan on YouTube and found a commercial with it from 1998.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 pm Ok - so let's agree it's a terrible $400 clue. The rest of the category is pretty easy, right down to the $2000 clue. Or do we not allow for writers to have some misses in clue valuation?
I just found the valuation off relative to the others. I mean, the bottom-most clue asks for an actor from the Kung Fu Panda franchise who would've been an unknown when the Atari 2600 was out, so that rules out Dustin Hoffman. But the top box has only an obscure ad campaign pinning it.

Just like
Spoiler
fluff and fold
which I've never heard of before, and felt was a very generational clue, was in the top box and my only miss in a category today.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm Also, where did you get the idea that the slogan was used for just "a short time in the 80s"? I searched for the slogan on YouTube and found a commercial with it from 1998.
Most of the hits I got were from the 80s.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm Most of the hits I got were from the 80s.
So when most of the hits were from the '80s, you assumed it was only used in the '80s? I don't get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke ... ng_slogans
"Just for the taste of it!" (US 1982, 1986, 1995, 2000, 2009, 2014)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm Just like
Spoiler
fluff and fold
which I've never heard of before, and felt was a very generational clue, was in the top box and my only miss in a category today.
That's just the penalty you pay for not watching the best sitcom ever made.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 pm
Spoiler
fluff and fold
I don't remember that from NewsRadio ...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 pm
Spoiler
fluff and fold
I don't remember that from NewsRadio ...
It was a deleted scene from the Titanic episode. You have to buy the DVDs.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:35 pm It was a deleted scene from the Titanic episode. You have to buy the DVDs.
Like I don't have them already.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Spoiler
fluff and fold
I dunno -- my kids really enjoyed "Dirk Niblick of the Math Brigade," and it was usually pretty cute with Fluff and Fold helping keep him out of trouble, but I don't know if I'd categorize it as the "best sitcom ever made." There may be one or two better candidates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_On ... th_Brigade
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So is there a trick to Stupid Answers? Because even by my standards I do horribly with it.
In 1982, Tony Randall hosted these awards at the Imperial theater
Well, none of the other words in the clue sounds like an award to me, so even though I've never heard of them, it must be the Imperial Awards, right?
Carrie Fisher auditioned for "Star Wars" & this horror film at the same time -- the 2 directors were in the same room
I know there's a horror film called "Carrie", but in the moment, no word in the clue sounded like a film at all to me.

Am I overthinking? Underthinking?