The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
alietr wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am
The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
Italy!, Monaco, Liechtenstein (I was there last year!), and Slovenia.
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
I just spent the last hour or so on Google Earth and if you zoom in just right it looks like part of the Alps are in Italy too.

[edit: Would've been funnier if Alietr hadn't snuck in between.]

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am

alietr wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
alietr wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am
The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
Italy!, Monaco, Liechtenstein (I was there last year!), and Slovenia.
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
Jeez. Now I'm no one.
Along with TPH and the Jeopardy! writers. But not Emily Dickinson. She's nobody.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8699
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 pm

soup du jour is soup of the day

journée is day
jour is also day just to confuse you more

I can't help with the Shakespeare as I was with econgator on pick a comedy. Later I looked and found out All's Well That Ends Well is not even marked as a comedy on Wikipedia but instead a problem play. Whatever that means. Yeah, the whole clue was a problem as far as my scoresheet was concerned.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6226
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm
So how did everyone get filibuster?
By paying attention to political news for the past decade.
Yes, something that happened in 1917 was in the news last week. Did you hear about that big ship that sank?
Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm
Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
Okay, what impact does something happening in 1917 have on today's news? Are you saying that literally nothing has changed in 102 years?

Also where the HELL was the TOM in this?
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest”
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6226
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm
Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
Okay, what impact does something happening in 1917 have on today's news? Are you saying that literally nothing has changed in 102 years?

Also where the HELL was the TOM in this?
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest”
*sigh* I shouldn't, but what the heck...

Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.

Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.
That's not so much a leap as it is a maze.
Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z

Add "which islands are off the US" to "things I have tried to learn a billion times and failed at".

What planet is the biggest, again?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:55 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm
So how did everyone get filibuster?
By paying attention to political news for the past decade.
Yes, something that happened in 1917 was in the news last week. Did you hear about that big ship that sank?
Pro tip: when trying to express a sarcastic "right, everyone knows about this event from over a century ago," it does not suit your purposes to cite an event from over a century ago that everyone actually does know about.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am

I'm still not following the trail of bread crumbs on that one at ALL.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
What planet is the biggest, again?
Plant this seed in your brain and see if it bears fruit:
JUpiter is JUmbo

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
What planet is the biggest, again?
Look, ultimately you just have to know certain things. The difference between you and I is if there's something I don't know that everyone else seems to know, I say "cool, I learned something new", not "how was I supposed to know that".

For someone who watches a trivia show and frequents a message board about said show, you seem to give up a lot and not try to learn at all.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
Euphonium
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm
Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
Okay, what impact does something happening in 1917 have on today's news? Are you saying that literally nothing has changed in 102 years?

Also where the HELL was the TOM in this?
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest”
*sigh* I shouldn't, but what the heck...

Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.

Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z
plus the whole shipwreck angle
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
Euphonium
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.
That's not so much a leap as it is a maze.
Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z

Add "which islands are off the US" to "things I have tried to learn a billion times and failed at".

What planet is the biggest, again?
That you don't know stuff doesn't mean that the clue writers are doing it wrong.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am
Look, ultimately you just have to know certain things. The difference between you and I is if there's something I don't know that everyone else seems to know, I say "cool, I learned something new", not "how was I supposed to know that".

For someone who watches a trivia show and frequents a message board about said show, you seem to give up a lot and not try to learn at all.
Then why has literally nothing that I've tried made certain things stick? I still forget where the Caribbean is too, because it just SOUNDS like it should be much further away than it really is.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8699
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Hugh Grant was in a clue 1/29/19 in the clue for About A Boy. He's a famous actor who will come up in clues again.

U.K. country narrows the choices. Highlands gives you Scotland. Glencoe itself? Yeah, who cares.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm
Hugh Grant was in a clue 1/29/19 in the clue for About A Boy. He's a famous actor who will come up in clues again.
And you know how I am with generic names like that.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am
Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am
Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 am
Location: Merrillville, Ind.

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by spell4yr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am
Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
[citation needed]

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, February 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:40 am

Again, "Charles Goodyear" is just not stored in my head as an "inventor", and neither is (to pick another name from a recent FJ!) James Dyson. Nor do I have Freud filed in my head as a "doctor" (although that's probably because I keep forgetting that "psychiatrist" is a subset of "doctor").

Anyone else have that problem? Fail to pull FJ! because the correct response is just not in the right folder on your mental hard drive?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Post Reply