The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

spell4yr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
[citation needed]
I just said that I swear I've heard it before Mean Girls existed. It's entirely possible I didn't and I'm just pullling a Mandela effect.

Still doesn't make it funny. I've seen snuff films that were funnier.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am
spell4yr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
[citation needed]
I just said that I swear I've heard it before Mean Girls existed. It's entirely possible I didn't and I'm just pullling a Mandela effect.

Still doesn't make it funny. I've seen snuff films that were funnier.
[citation needed]
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, fine. I just didn't find the joke funny unlike most of you.
spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by spell4yr »

I haven’t even seen the episode to know what the joke was (if this was from Friday, ABC Chicago moved the episode to 3 a.m. due to Aurora and I didn’t change my DVR). I’m simply a little tired of the trope involving nearly tens, if not hundreds, of times the world population.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

spell4yr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 am I haven’t even seen the episode to know what the joke was (if this was from Friday, ABC Chicago moved the episode to 3 a.m. due to Aurora and I didn’t change my DVR). I’m simply a little tired of the trope involving nearly tens, if not hundreds, of times the world population.
You and 8 trillion other people.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am Look, ultimately you just have to know certain things. The difference between you and I is if there's something I don't know that everyone else seems to know, I say "cool, I learned something new", not "how was I supposed to know that".

For someone who watches a trivia show and frequents a message board about said show, you seem to give up a lot and not try to learn at all.
Then why has literally nothing that I've tried made certain things stick? I still forget where the Caribbean is too, because it just SOUNDS like it should be much further away than it really is.
I don't know, it might be the way your brain is wired and developed. But the point I'm trying to make is you complain that the questions on this show are hard. This is a trivia game show. You're expected to know stuff. If you really don't know some of these things, try to learn, and quit complaining that you don't know stuff.

Not all of us will know everything. I'm pretty useless on my bar trivia team. But you can make the choice to enjoy the show or let it aggravate you.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I guess I will stick up for TPH and say that my experience is also that ESP/ESPN wordplay was not invented by Tina Fey. The movie had a good plot and plenty of other funny jokes, so it is OK if one line drew on a pre-existing trope to establish a character.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sure you can use Google though the Archive is there to be useful as well: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

The previous hit for chintzy was 2010 so not a J! favorite.

Hurricane Maria & Puerto Rico were in the news a lot. A lot!

Hausa for Africa did not have any special hint. It's just one of those things a J! player will/should know. Or just guess for not being any of other continents.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pm Sure you can use Google though the Archive is there to be useful as well: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Where are THEY getting it from though? The could have 47 clues about the sky being made of tapioca pudding, but that doesn't make it correct. I get NOTHING on Google for runcible being a spoon.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pmHausa for Africa did not have any special hint. It's just one of those things a J! player will/should know. Or just guess for not being any of other continents.
"The number of Goodwill stores in Michigan is just one of those things a J! player should know."

"The amount of Adventure Time shirts that TPH owns is just one of those things a J! player should know."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 pmI get NOTHING on Google for runcible being a spoon.
[citation needed]

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 pmI get NOTHING on Google for runcible being a spoon.
[citation needed]

That only mentions the spoon in the Owl and the Pussycat. It doesn't mention the kind of spoon the clue was talking about. And an image search only gives me, of all things, a smartwatch.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 pm
trainman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 pm
[citation needed]

That only mentions the spoon in the Owl and the Pussycat. It doesn't mention the kind of spoon the clue was talking about. And an image search only gives me, of all things, a smartwatch.
Because you're searching for "runcible" rather than "runcible spoon." It's never called just a runcible. Do an image search for "runcible spoon" and you'll find lots of examples exactly as described in the clue.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I have to admit I never heard of Hausa. I have heard of Igbo, of Wolof, of Fulani (and of course Swahili, but that is East Africa), but Hausa does not ring a bell. But here is a way it can be figured out (albeit it requires very quick thinking). We can quickly rule out Europe, North America, and probably Asia. ("Western Asia" is too ill-defined an area. If such an area does exist, the main language by far would be Arabic.) Could it be the name of a South American Indian language or an Australian aborigine language? Maybe, but 50 million speakers? (That is twice the total population of Australia.) So Africa is what is left. I am not sure it was a good top box clue, but it was achievable.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a reason that I blank on gypsum literally every time it comes up? There is a gypsum mine about 10 miles south of where I live. I have to drive through it to get downstate. But every time it comes up, I'm like "Uhhhh... that stuff they mine just outside of town, what's it called?"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm Is there a reason that I blank on gypsum literally every time it comes up? There is a gypsum mine about 10 miles south of where I live. I have to drive through it to get downstate. But every time it comes up, I'm like "Uhhhh... that stuff they mine just outside of town, what's it called?"
I think it's just that you've never heard of it before.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm Is there a reason that I blank on gypsum literally every time it comes up?
There could literally be a billion reasons why.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm Is there a reason that I blank on gypsum literally every time it comes up?
There could literally be a billion reasons why.
Use the old favorite the sound-alike. Gypsum reminds me of this song:
Spoiler
Picture her doing a concert at the local mine and you're all set the next time J! asks for it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 pm That only mentions the spoon in the Owl and the Pussycat. It doesn't mention the kind of spoon the clue was talking about. And an image search only gives me, of all things, a smartwatch.
Because you're searching for "runcible" rather than "runcible spoon." It's never called just a runcible. Do an image search for "runcible spoon" and you'll find lots of examples exactly as described in the clue.
As seen in the image I posted, when doing a regular search for "runcible," the info box on the right-hand side of the page contains an image of the kind of spoon the clue was talking about.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the problem is that said gypsum mine is in Alabaster Township, which fools my brain into thinking that the material is called "alabaster" long enough to distract me from pulling up the actual word.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm I think the problem is that said gypsum mine is in Alabaster Township, which fools my brain into thinking that the material is called "alabaster" long enough to distract me from pulling up the actual word.
The township is probably named after the mine -- alabaster IS a form of gypsum. Maybe knowing that will help you. It's come up before:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... =alabaster (DJ, $800)
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... =alabaster (DJ, $2000)
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... =alabaster (DJ, $1200)
..... among other appearances.

If it comes up again, maybe you'll be prepared.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.