The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 pm

I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4528
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 pm
I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
Most television viewing records are held by special events, such as

--the much-anticipated finale of a tv show like the Fugitive, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc.

--the Super Bowl, which wasn't around yet in 1964, though you may not have known that.

--something like the Olympics, as the Nancy vs Tonya figure skating in 1994 drew some phenomenal ratings, although that is a massive outlier from any other Olympics due to the unique circumstances.

February 9 would be a plausible date for either a Super Bowl, which was not around in 1964, or the Winter Olympics, which was, but the question does say show so I would not go down the sports path.

Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.

As for the correct one, you just have to think of it. What was a huge one-of-a-kind TV event in the 1960s? Coverage of the JFK assassination? Just a few months off. The Moon landing, way too early, and again neither of these would be a "show". So we need a special occurence that took place on some episode of a particular show: Ladies and gentleman, the Beatles.

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 pm
I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure. So for instance, if the category is "British Prime Ministers" your precall list should be limited to maybe Boris Johnson, Theresa May, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, Churchill, Chamberlain, Disraeli, Gladstone, Pitt, and Walpole. The correct response isn't going to be "Who is Charles Watson-Wentworth,
2nd Marquess of Rockingham." Think about what a good chunk of the viewing audience will have heard of. Sometimes too much knowledge can be a bad thing.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3492
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 pm
I made it two episodes.
The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, February 9, 1964
I tried precall after precall after precall. This left me with a miles-long list of options, and no matter how many times I reread the clue, I wasn't able to cross anything off. I was just instantly overwhelmed because a lot of important TV events happened in the 1960s, and nothing was giving me any pointers whatsoever.
Most television viewing records are held by special events, such as

--the much-anticipated finale of a tv show like the Fugitive, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc.

--the Super Bowl, which wasn't around yet in 1964, though you may not have known that.

--something like the Olympics, as the Nancy vs Tonya figure skating in 1994 drew some phenomenal ratings, although that is a massive outlier from any other Olympics due to the unique circumstances.

February 9 would be a plausible date for either a Super Bowl, which was not around in 1964, or the Winter Olympics, which was, but the question does say show so I would not go down the sports path.

Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.

As for the correct one, you just have to think of it. What was a huge one-of-a-kind TV event in the 1960s? Coverage of the JFK assassination? Just a few months off. The Moon landing, way too early, and again neither of these would be a "show". So we need a special occurence that took place on some episode of a particular show: Ladies and gentleman, the Beatles.
I've never paid attention to the date of the Beatles show. But i remember hearing a discussion of it that said the country was still in mourning after JFK's death. So that helped.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am
Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure.
So I take it you didn't watch Monday's episode...
jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am
Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.
The problem is that all of those, along with Gunsmoke, Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Andy Griffith, Laugh-In, and all the other popular shows of the day, were so thoroughly clouding my thought process that "Beatles on Ed Sullivan" never surfaced. And I saw nothing to help me start crossing names off the list, so I just threw up my hands. Without another hint or ten, it might as well be The Liederkranz Show.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:37 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm

The problem is that all of those, along with Gunsmoke, Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Andy Griffith, Laugh-In, and all the other popular shows of the day, were so thoroughly clouding my thought process that "Beatles on Ed Sullivan" never surfaced. And I saw nothing to help me start crossing names off the list, so I just threw up my hands. Without another hint or ten, it might as well be The Liederkranz Show.
"1964 episode" was all it took for me. If that didn't do it for you, you have 30 seconds to think. 73 million viewers! That is about 1/3 of the US population at the time. I can assure you that no episode of Bonanza or the Beverly Hillbillies drew 1/3 of all Americans to their TV sets. It had to be something BIG. What was big in the 60s? The Beatles!

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am

Which leaves shows, it would be logical to try to think of a much beloved show that ended in 1964 and could have had a big finale. I Love Lucy was 1957, not the worst guess but a bit off. Gilligan's Island ended in 1967, would be logical to think lots of people tuned in to see if they get off the island so wouldn't be a bad guess, just a few years off. Leave it to Beaver was 1963, would be a perfectly cromulent answer if you don't think of the correct one.
Just for the record (not the first time a TPH thread has taken a digressive turn), the series finale as we know it was not really a thing in the 1960s. In fact, it was basically invented by The Fugitive. Gilligan could never have gotten off the island because it was considered bad for syndication if the central situation was resolved. If I recall correctly, that the was original plan for The Fugitive as well, but the showrunners instead decided, "No, it would be ridiculous not to resolve the situation." But it still took a while for the finale concept to catch on. There were a few such as Mary Tyler Moore, but really it was the enormous ratings for the M*A*S*H finale that made it a thing all even moderately successful series felt obliged to do.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 am
Rule of thumb: FJ is not going to be about something obscure.
So I take it you didn't watch Monday's episode...

"Rule of thumb" does not mean always, just a best guess if nothing's obvious.
OCSam

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Ask me any other time of the year what FIddler on the Roof is, and I'd say it has something to do with Russia.

Ask me any other time of the year who Chagall was, and I would say he was a Russian painter.

Ask me for a musical inspired by a Chagall painting, and I spend the entire 30 seconds in stony silence, unable to even muster even so much as a WAG.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?!?!?!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Ask me any other time of the year what FIddler on the Roof is, and I'd say it has something to do with Russia.

Ask me any other time of the year who Chagall was, and I would say he was a Russian painter.

Ask me for a musical inspired by a Chagall painting, and I spend the entire 30 seconds in stony silence, unable to even muster even so much as a WAG.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?!?!?!?
i have no knowledge of what fiddler on the roof is about, but i got it right because i knew it was from that time period and guessed correctly

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:30 pm

WHY

CAN'T

I

GET

THE

EASIEST

GODDAMN

CLUES

RIGHT?!?!?!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9684
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm

What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm
What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
Derp. I was somehow failing to process "Ella" as a name.

I still don't see what sturgeon have to do with Russia.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm
What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
Derp. I was somehow failing to process "Ella" as a name.

I still don't see what sturgeon have to do with Russia.
i, too, didn't come up with ella within that word...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

i...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?
Yo-Yo Ma might have something to say about that.

Bigdogstalfos
Valued Contributor
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bigdogstalfos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm
What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
I still don't see what sturgeon have to do with Russia.
Caviar comes from sturgeon. Traditionally caviar is only supposed to refer to roe from sturgeon in the Caspian Sea. The Caspian Sea borders Russia extensively. Rich people like caviar. Naming something for the czar implies it’s connected with rich Russian people. I have never heard the sturgeon referred to as a czar fish, but I pieced it together.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7760
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Bigdogstalfos wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm
What name in a cappella?

https://youtu.be/XcKaTTFRDT4?t=84

You did czar fish to Russia for the step one good start.. It was the next part where you ran into trouble.
I still don't see what sturgeon have to do with Russia.
Caviar comes from sturgeon. Traditionally caviar is only supposed to refer to roe from sturgeon in the Caspian Sea. The Caspian Sea borders Russia extensively. Rich people like caviar. Naming something for the czar implies it’s connected with rich Russian people. I have never heard the sturgeon referred to as a czar fish, but I pieced it together.
I thought caviar were just the eggs of any ol' fish, didn't know that they came from a hyper-specific fish, have no idea where the Caspian sea is, and just plain did not know a single link in the miles-long chain of thought you just posted. That seems like an utterly insane number of hoops to jump through for one answer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

i...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?
Yo-Yo Ma might have something to say about that.
good one

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:37 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

i...why would anyone want to have the name of a spanish pronoun?
Yo-Yo Ma might have something to say about that.
So would El DeBarge.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9684
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 pm


Post Reply