The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:25 pm
I still don't see how smashing 34x12 into a billion smaller problems is supposed to be "easier". Isn't the point to make LESS work, not MORE?
At the end of the day the point is to solve the problem. Most people would consider breaking a challenging task into more manageable sub-tasks to be a good way to complete any kind of problem. I think you've got the tendency to sell yourself short, TPH. You're defeated before you even start the task.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I still don't see how smashing 34x12 into a billion smaller problems is supposed to be "easier". Isn't the point to make LESS work, not MORE?
At the end of the day the point is to solve the problem. Most people would consider breaking a challenging task into more manageable sub-tasks to be a good way to complete any kind of problem. I think you've got the tendency to sell yourself short, TPH. You're defeated before you even start the task.
Because since when is ten times more work ever easier than LESS work?!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
It's not ten times the work, it's not even four times the work. It's simply how it can be done. 99% of the population (maybe more) cannot multiple most two digit numbers in their head. The only way they'd have a chance would be to break it down in some way. Everyone is telling you that's the only way to solve these problems but rather than listening, you simply pout and scream and moan that it's a zillion times too hard for you.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Have you ever ridden a multi-speed bike? Sometimes, to get up a hill, you have to put it in a lower gear. Lower gears mean that each pedaling motion rotates the wheel less. The distance up the hill might be represented by 200 pedalings at a lower gear, and 120 pedalings at a higher gear (no idea if this is an accurate ratio for bike gears), but pedaling becomes close to impossible when you're at a higher gear. We're basically telling you how to downshift when you approach math problems at a gear where you're incapable of the torque necessary to keep moving, and you're saying, "But then I'd have to pedal more!"

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am

(This attitude is nohow related to the fact I can't remember my four digit PIN or a 7 digit phone number long enough to access my phone keys and dial it. I could if I HAD to (I hope?) :roll: )
Need help? PM me your PINs and the accounts they apply to and I'll be glad to assist whenever you need to remember them.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:05 pm
Have you ever ridden a multi-speed bike? Sometimes, to get up a hill, you have to put it in a lower gear. Lower gears mean that each pedaling motion rotates the wheel less. The distance up the hill might be represented by 200 pedalings at a lower gear, and 120 pedalings at a higher gear (no idea if this is an accurate ratio for bike gears), but pedaling becomes close to impossible when you're at a higher gear. We're basically telling you how to downshift when you approach math problems at a gear where you're incapable of the torque necessary to keep moving, and you're saying, "But then I'd have to pedal more!"
I feel it's more like telling me that, instead of walking ten miles, I have to walk one mile, do an hour of exercise, walk one mile, do another hour of exercise, etc.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
Got all but $200 in Armchair Expert. Any reason I should know JFK used a rocking chair and not any other kind of chair that moves?
Alright, I'll bite: what's another chair that moves?

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Got all but $200 in Armchair Expert. Any reason I should know JFK used a rocking chair and not any other kind of chair that moves?
wheel chair
massage chair
barber chair
rotating barstool
rolling desk chair

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
wheel chair
massage chair
barber chair
rotating barstool
rolling desk chair
My first thought was rolling desk chair, but I couldn't quite articulate it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clue: "blah blah blah late-19th century evidence"

My brain: ".........................."

Is this a time where I just put down "What is Toronto" and look like a fool, and curse my inability to get even the easiest clues?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Clue: "blah blah blah late-19th century evidence"

My brain: ".........................."

Is this a time where I just put down "What is Toronto" and look like a fool, and curse my inability to get even the easiest clues?
If you haven't memorized late 19th-century Buenos Aires court records, there was pretty much no way to get this.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Thursday, January 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

[Moderator note: This post was moved to the appropriate thread.]

So is there a reason I just plain had NOTHING to guess on this FJ!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/5 for me in RECOGNIZING THE COUNTRY in only getting Argentina from the board game Risk. Bwak bwak on Vietnam & Afghanistan, tad slow for Algeria and failed to get wording hint for Iceland.

Calvert = Maryland refuses to stick for you as bad as biggest = Jupiter

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm
1/5 for me in RECOGNIZING THE COUNTRY in only getting Argentina from the board game Risk. Bwak bwak on Vietnam & Afghanistan, tad slow for Algeria and failed to get wording hint for Iceland.
"roughly a third the size of the contiguous United States" was the only hint that the clue gave. At $200, I would expect a country with an extremely obvious shape that can still be discerned even without the surrounding countries, not some amorphous lump that could be just about any of the 847 countries whose shape is an amorphous lump. Argentina doesn't seem like a country that would be discernible from its shape alone unllike, say, the United States or Italy or Japan.

At least $400 gave the hint "floating in the Atlantic" to point to an island country.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm
"roughly a third the size of the contiguous United States" was the only hint that the clue gave. At $200, I would expect a country with an extremely obvious shape that can still be discerned even without the surrounding countries, not some amorphous lump that could be just about any of the 847 countries whose shape is an amorphous lump. Argentina doesn't seem like a country that would be discernible from its shape alone unllike, say, the United States or Italy or Japan.

At least $400 gave the hint "floating in the Atlantic" to point to an island country.
Just because -the outline of the country- didn't help you doesn't make it not a hint.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Argentina because it was long from north to south and too wide to be Chile.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 pm
I got Argentina because it was long from north to south and too wide to be Chile.
How did you know it was even South America? That just looked like a jagged lump that could be any country in South America, Asia, Europe, or Africa.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I got Argentina because it was long from north to south and too wide to be Chile.
How did you know it was even South America? That just looked like a jagged lump that could be any country in South America, Asia, Europe, or Africa.
Argentina, Chile and Brazil are big enough to span the continental U.S. Their shapes each contain a large portion of the South American coastline, and should be as recognizable as Australia.
Part of the expected requirement was to compare the size of the superimposed shape to the U.S.A. map. Texas alone is bigger than 'any country in Europe'.

I easily recognized Vietnam from the hundreds of embroidered Vietnam Vet jackets I've seen in my lifetime.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 am
seaborgium wrote:
I have a basic idea of the shape of Argentina, which includes "very long from north to south and wider than Chile." Also, Argentina's really big (being in the top ten of countries by area) and the visual comparison of size checked out. (The "roughly one third" part would have caused me to imagine something smaller on its own, but seeing the size, shape, and orientation sufficed.)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 am
seaborgium wrote:
I have a basic idea of the shape of Argentina, which includes "very long from north to south and wider than Chile." Also, Argentina's really big (being in the top ten of countries by area) and the visual comparison of size checked out. (The "roughly one third" part would have caused me to imagine something smaller on its own, but seeing the size, shape, and orientation sufficed.)
I immediately ruled out South America because 1.) I could at least tell that wasn't Brazil, and 2.) I had no idea that Argentina was really that big, since I always thought it just got distorted by Mercator projection in the same way Greenland does.

Now let's see how many times "Argentina is really freaking huge" falls back out of my head...
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent