The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am I've got no problem with Narita at $200, but I do think Schiphol was way over valued at $800.
I don't know about "way" overvalued. I don't think "Schiphol" sounds obviously Dutch to the same extent that Narita sounds Japanese. And it's a big hub airport, but it doesn't have quite the same Q-rating as certain other European airports like Heathrow and De Gaulle (both of which also would have belonged in the $200 box). Also, Kenyatta (especially Kenyatta) and Louverture, which were placed above Schiphol on the board, were pretty obvious because you could get them just from knowing who the names were - and, in the case of Kenyatta, really just reading the word.
i agree with that
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm
Giannid wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 pm Narita also sounds like Morita as in Pat Morita, the Japanese-American actor from Happy Days and The Karate Kid.
Narita also sounds like Lupita as in Lupita Nyong'o. What now?

There are plenty of times to argue linguistics to TPH. This ain't one of them.

so you are backing up hammer dude's claim that it could be mexico city since she was born there?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm
For a fun linguistic question: How many US states, aside from Hawaii, can be spelled with only the 12 letters Hawaiian alphabet? This is a Millionaire question, and not hard to get. Just start spewing Hawaiian words - think geography and food, and you'll get them.
Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma?
Ever see Lilo and Stitch? Ohana means family
also mentioned often in hawaii 5'0
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm
Giannid wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 pm Narita also sounds like Morita as in Pat Morita, the Japanese-American actor from Happy Days and The Karate Kid.
Narita also sounds like Lupita as in Lupita Nyong'o. What now?

There are plenty of times to argue linguistics to TPH. This ain't one of them.

so you are backing up hammer dude's claim that it could be mexico city since she was born there?
All I'm saying is that while "Narita" certainly fits Japanese phonology, there are plenty of languages whose phonologies n-vowel-r-vowel-t-vowel can fit into. Saying "Narita" could be in any country is not as ridiculous as, e.g., saying someone with the name "Sigurdardottir" could be from any country.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 pm All I'm saying is that while "Narita" certainly fits Japanese phonology, there are plenty of languages whose phonologies n-vowel-r-vowel-t-vowel can fit into. Saying "Narita" could be in any country is not as ridiculous as, e.g., saying someone with the name "Sigurdardottir" could be from any country.
Narita sounds like the Naruto which is an anime. That's one way to make it stick for me, I guess. #weeb

Sigurdardottir is definitely a Hawley-Smoot name, but i didn't know that Iceland was even big enough to HAVE naming conventions. I've certainly encountered zero other -dottir names and I doubt anyone else here has, either.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 pm All I'm saying is that while "Narita" certainly fits Japanese phonology, there are plenty of languages whose phonologies n-vowel-r-vowel-t-vowel can fit into. Saying "Narita" could be in any country is not as ridiculous as, e.g., saying someone with the name "Sigurdardottir" could be from any country.
Narita sounds like the Naruto which is an anime. That's one way to make it stick for me, I guess. #weeb

Sigurdardottir is definitely a Hawley-Smoot name, but i didn't know that Iceland was even big enough to HAVE naming conventions. I've certainly encountered zero other -dottir names and I doubt anyone else here has, either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjork
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Yeah, and when has her full name ever come up?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 pm

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=752
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the Wikipedia page.

And I don't understand the concept of "big enough to have naming conventions." That's a non sequitur if I've ever seen one.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

And on Sugarcubes records.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The Japanese came in handy again in Friday's FJ!....E-to-ru-fu, Ha-bo-ma-i, Ku-na-shi-ri, Shi-ko-ta-n. "Shi" is one of those exceptions of Japanese syllables - if you went by how it "should" sound in their alphabet, it would sound like "see", but it's pronounced (and romanzied) as "shi". When Alex pronounced the words, they even sounded very Japanese - every syllable tends to have exactly the same amount of time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm Any reason I should know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was? 8 seemed like a perfectly good guess.
There's no need to know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was. You just have to be aware that occasionally someone clocks in at taller than 8 feet. (Most recently, Sultan Kösen was in the news in 2009 when he was measured at 8 ft. 2.8 in.) So Wadlow can't have been the tallest if he was an inch shy of 8 feet. The only reasonable choice is to go one foot higher.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm Any reason I should know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was? 8 seemed like a perfectly good guess.
There's no need to know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was. You just have to be aware that occasionally someone clocks in at taller than 8 feet. (Most recently, Sultan Kösen was in the news in 2009 when he was measured at 8 ft. 2.8 in.) So Wadlow can't have been the tallest if he was an inch shy of 8 feet. The only reasonable choice is to go one foot higher.
I had the opposite effect - I knew NBA players reached 7 feet easily, and that there was some astonishing fact that some really high percentage of 7-foot-tall US males play in the NBA. (Turns out that percentage is 17%.) I thought 7'11" was a reasonable upper limit on height - turns out, I was wrong. But I do think 8 was a perfectly reasonable guess if you hadn't read about any 8 foot-tall people. According to wiki, there are only 13 people 8 feet or taller who have had their height documented without dispute.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm
I had the opposite effect - I knew NBA players reached 7 feet easily, and that there was some astonishing fact that some really high percentage of 7-foot-tall US males play in the NBA. (Turns out that percentage is 17%.) I thought 7'11" was a reasonable upper limit on height - turns out, I was wrong. But I do think 8 was a perfectly reasonable guess if you hadn't read about any 8 foot-tall people. According to wiki, there are only 13 people 8 feet or taller who have had their height documented without dispute.
Oh, I definitely agree that 8 feet was a perfectly reasonable guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This reminds me of that "number of mountains over 29,000 feet" question. Everest is 29,029. K2 isn't that far off at 28,251, and Kangchenjunga isn't very far off at 28,169 either. Since Everest is only barely above 29K, and the next several-highest only barely below it. I could see even the slightest bit of mental imprecesion leading one to believe there are 10+ mountains above 29K.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday 11-20

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: Can't say I've heard of any Elvis Costello song titles before. Or hell, any KISS ones, though I certainly know Gene Simmons and the distinctive makeup.
Gene Simmons would have scowled at that clue. Beth was the only big mainstream hit that was sung by their drummer, Peter Criss.
Criss was arguably the most misfit member of the original KISS line-up. He was kicked out of the band more than once.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday 11-20

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 pm
TPH wrote: Can't say I've heard of any Elvis Costello song titles before. Or hell, any KISS ones, though I certainly know Gene Simmons and the distinctive makeup.
Gene Simmons would have scowled at that clue. Beth was the only big mainstream hit that was sung by their drummer, Peter Criss.
Criss was arguably the most misfit member of the original KISS line-up. He was kicked out of the band more than once.
(Family Guy past the link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptQr_kK_eA
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

jev15 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm
Any reason I should know the Chicago riots were in 1968 and not any other years?

It's trivia. Any reason you shouldn't?

1968: LBJ decides not to run again, MLK shot, RFK shot, riots in Chicago at the Democratic convention.
He was looking for more TOM, like for example:

The Chicago riots happened in this year, which was between 1967 and 1969 and rhymes with "nineteen bixty fate"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Wednesday Nov. 27

Post by Category 13 »

True North wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: What was the TOM for Stevie Nicks or Afghanistan in the top box? I saw "name that sounds like Rihanna" and guessed that, .
Rhiannon is a Fleetwood Mac song.
Coinsidently, it was still getting substantial airplay while the Eagles' Hotel California (single) was having it's Billboard success. Rhiannon had charted the previous year.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me literally any other time of the year: "A quote from Citizen Kane? That's easy. 'Rosebud.'"

Me, last night, after looking up Citizen Kane on Google before the answers were revealed: "Wait, did Citizen Kane even have a memorable quote? I can't think of any at all."

Why does my brain keep doing this?