The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm If the category is Alabama cities, then I expect Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Mobile, etc, not some small four corners that doesn't even have a Subway.
It was Alabama cities that begin with O. I doubt many people not from here could name any. That is why they gave you hints.

FWIW, two of them have a Subway.
It's still not gonna stop me from thinking "Wait, there's no Ozark in Alabama, this must be a trick question."
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm If the category is Alabama cities, then I expect Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Mobile, etc, not some small four corners that doesn't even have a Subway.
It was Alabama cities that begin with O. I doubt many people not from here could name any. That is why they gave you hints.

It's still not gonna stop me from thinking "Wait, there's no Ozark in Alabama, this must be a trick question."
What would you game plan be there, then if you limit yourself to the small handful of Alabama cities you know, and none of them start with "O"?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 pm What would you game plan be there, then if you limit yourself to the small handful of Alabama cities you know, and none of them start with "O"?
Just throw up my hands and admit defeat, because unless you know every single goddamn town in Alabama, there's no way to run that category.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 pm

What would you game plan be there, then if you limit yourself to the small handful of Alabama cities you know, and none of them start with "O"?
At some point (hopefully soon), you will realize the futility of reasoning with TPH.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Oh I don't actually expect to make a breakthrough this is more of a "study" for me.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

But there IS an Ozark in Alabama. Are you so arrogant to believe you know every city in the State?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 pm Oh I don't actually expect to make a breakthrough this is more of a "study" for me.
Let us know when your wall is sufficiently dented.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just because I'm bored...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm
Admittedly an interesting bit of trivia, but I saw no TOM on this one at all.
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off
Let's break it down bit by bit.
On June 28, 1838
This gives us the date. While we already knew it was about a 19th century person, this narrows it down to people who were alive in 1838.
an archbishop
An archbishop is a high ranking church official. One of the most famous archbishops is the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is with the Church of England.
jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off
So why is the archbishop putting a ring on this lady's finger? Unless he is marrying her, this must be part of some sort of ceremony.

So we have an archbishop overseeing some ceremony in 1838. It likely involved somebody English. What famous Englishwoman was around in 1838 that would have been in some big ceremony with the Archbishop of Canterbury? How about Queen Victoria? She reigned for a very long time in the 19th century. Maybe that was the date of her coronation.

Even if one is unaware of the exact years she was on the throne, most people would know that it was mostly in the 1800s and 1838 would be an approximate date her reign began.

So there was plenty of TOM there. I put it together before the music even started. While I was unaware of this incident, like others who have commented, it really couldn't have been anyone else. I'm sorry if you can't keep all the kings and queens straight, but don't say there is no way to get it when it has a high get rate on here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:46 am Just because I'm bored...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm
Admittedly an interesting bit of trivia, but I saw no TOM on this one at all.
On June 28, 1838 an archbishop jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off
Let's break it down bit by bit.
On June 28, 1838
This gives us the date. While we already knew it was about a 19th century person, this narrows it down to people who were alive in 1838.
an archbishop
An archbishop is a high ranking church official. One of the most famous archbishops is the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is with the Church of England.
jammed a ring made for her little finger onto her 4th; she had to soak it in ice water to get it off
So why is the archbishop putting a ring on this lady's finger? Unless he is marrying her, this must be part of some sort of ceremony.

So we have an archbishop overseeing some ceremony in 1838. It likely involved somebody English. What famous Englishwoman was around in 1838 that would have been in some big ceremony with the Archbishop of Canterbury? How about Queen Victoria? She reigned for a very long time in the 19th century. Maybe that was the date of her coronation.

Even if one is unaware of the exact years she was on the throne, most people would know that it was mostly in the 1800s and 1838 would be an approximate date her reign began.

So there was plenty of TOM there. I put it together before the music even started. While I was unaware of this incident, like others who have commented, it really couldn't have been anyone else. I'm sorry if you can't keep all the kings and queens straight, but don't say there is no way to get it when it has a high get rate on here.
Okay, then none of the words meant anything to me, having no clue what an archbishop is, or why anyone would put a ring on anyone's finger for any reason other than marriage.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:46 am
an archbishop
This was the one part of the clue that made me question my guess of Victoria. Anyone referring to the event would say it occurred when THE Archbishop put the ring on her finger. If we're talking about AN archbishop, that suggests a Roman Catholic or maybe Eastern Orthodox setting. But I couldn't think of any famous Catholic ceremonies from the time. If I'd thought of Catherine the Great, I might have been tempted. Turns out she died at the end of the 18th century, but I didn't know that during the think music.

In the end, I stuck with Victoria for lack of anything better. Everything but that pesky article pointed to her. So I guessed that the "an" was either deliberately vague or just sloppy. I'd put my confidence at about 80%. I was slightly worried that my forehead was about to get slapped on reveal.

I'm guessing Colin's thinking got stuck in the Catholic rut, perhaps as a result of the wording. Given that, I respect his guess of Bernadette as a Hail Mary. (Sorry.)
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm This was the one part of the clue that made me question my guess of Victoria. Anyone referring to the event would say it occurred when THE Archbishop put the ring on her finger. If we're talking about AN archbishop, that suggests a Roman Catholic or maybe Eastern Orthodox setting. But I couldn't think of any famous Catholic ceremonies from the time. If I'd thought of Catherine the Great, I might have been tempted. Turns out she died at the end of the 18th century, but I didn't know that during the think music.
Yeah I think the choice of "an" rather than "the" was just to avoid giving everyone a hint that "the Archbishop" → Archbishop of Canterbury → British coronation of a "her" in 1800s → duh, Victoria.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:46 am
an archbishop
This was the one part of the clue that made me question my guess of Victoria. Anyone referring to the event would say it occurred when THE Archbishop put the ring on her finger. If we're talking about AN archbishop, that suggests a Roman Catholic or maybe Eastern Orthodox setting. But I couldn't think of any famous Catholic ceremonies from the time. If I'd thought of Catherine the Great, I might have been tempted. Turns out she died at the end of the 18th century, but I didn't know that during the think music.

In the end, I stuck with Victoria for lack of anything better. Everything but that pesky article pointed to her. So I guessed that the "an" was either deliberately vague or just sloppy. I'd put my confidence at about 80%. I was slightly worried that my forehead was about to get slapped on reveal.

I'm guessing Colin's thinking got stuck in the Catholic rut, perhaps as a result of the wording. Given that, I respect his guess of Bernadette as a Hail Mary. (Sorry.)
Don't forget the Archbishop of York! To just call the Archbishop of Canterbury "the Archbishop" along the same lines as "the Pope" would not, I think, be correct usage.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pm Don't forget the Archbishop of York!
Why not? Everyone does. :D
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pmTo just call the Archbishop of Canterbury "the Archbishop" along the same lines as "the Pope" would not, I think, be correct usage.
I think it would be, but I could be wrong. I mean, if they're both in the same room, one might distinguish. Otherwise, I believe "the archbishop" refers to the Canterbury guy, not his associate with the same title but not really the same rank. If I weren't so lazy, I'd reconnect with my online British friends and see what they say.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm Lach Trash: "You rang?"
Congrats! I'm impressed! How did you know that one? (Since I'm a bass/baritone, I took great pleasure in imitating Ted Cassidy in my response.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm
Congrats! I'm impressed! How did you know that one? (Since I'm a bass/baritone, I took great pleasure in imitating Ted Cassidy in my response.)
I read on TV Tropes that it was an ad-lib that was left in because the producers liked it. I've also seen it parodied a few times.
earendel

Post by earendel »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm
I read on TV Tropes that it was an ad-lib that was left in because the producers liked it. I've also seen it parodied a few times.
Oddly enough, he didn't say it once in any of the Addams Family movies.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't pull "Kalamazoo" on the Michigan clue. Again, I went too far back. Is there a way to tackle these alphabet clues? I always go too far, or not far enough.
In this case they weren't expecting you to know all the counties in Michigan, they were expecting you to know that Kalamazoo is often cited as a strange sounding place name.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't pull "Kalamazoo" on the Michigan clue. Again, I went too far back. Is there a way to tackle these alphabet clues? I always go too far, or not far enough.
In this case they weren't expecting you to know all the counties in Michigan, they were expecting you to know that Kalamazoo is often cited as a strange sounding place name.
So home field disadvantage for me, because I know a lot of strange place names here.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 am
So home field disadvantage for me, because I know a lot of strange place names here.
Definitely. Non-natives would probably be stumped by a clue about Bad Axe.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it by guessing a place in Michigan that starts with K. When dealing with a list most people are unfamiliar with (like counties in Michigan), looking for something that starts with the same letter is a good place to start.