The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 pm I know that QEII is still ruling. But corgi = British royalty seems like a very obtuse connection for the top box.
Not really, because...
CasketRomance wrote: she is well known for having corgis
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 pm I know that QEII is still ruling. But corgi = British royalty seems like a very obtuse connection for the top box.
Not really, because...
Has "corgi" EVER come up as a TOM for British royalty before? Not that I was able to find.

Will it ever come up again? Probably not.

Again, unless you know every. single. detail about British royalty, it might as well be ANY of the dozen or so queens currently reigning. It could be Queen Latifah. It could be Queen Amidala. It could be Brian May.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm
Not really, because...
Has "corgi" EVER come up as a TOM for British royalty before? Not that I was able to find.
Next time try looking in the j-archive. You'll find clues about "This favorite of the British royalty" and "in 1991 one of these pets bit Queen Elizabeth II" and a picture of a corgi "taking this future world leader [hint: it's Elizabeth] for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940". Still another clue says "A dorgi was the royal result when one of QEII's corgis bred with one of these dogs owned by Princess Margaret". That clue provides the association rather than asking for it, so corgi isn't used as a TOM. And while the clue "The Pembroke variety of this breed is popular with royalty" doesn't specify that the royalty are British, "Pembroke" is a pretty British name.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pmWill it ever come up again? Probably not.
QE2's getting on in years. If the royal dogs have a lower profile once she's gone then it might not.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pmAgain, unless you know every. single. detail about British royalty, it might as well be ANY of the dozen or so queens currently reigning. It could be Queen Latifah. It could be Queen Amidala. It could be Brian May.
Nope. British royalty is the only reasonable guess. And since the clue speaks about the royalty in the preset tense (well, present perfect) and refers to "her reign," there's only one reasonable guess. If we were guessing from among all female British monarchs, there'd still be only two reasonable guesses--Elizabeth II and Victoria. No other British queens have reigned long enough to go through 30 corgis.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm Next time try looking in the j-archive. You'll find clues about "This favorite of the British royalty" and "in 1991 one of these pets bit Queen Elizabeth II" and a picture of a corgi "taking this future world leader [hint: it's Elizabeth] for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940". Still another clue says "A dorgi was the royal result when one of QEII's corgis bred with one of these dogs owned by Princess Margaret". That clue provides the association rather than asking for it, so corgi isn't used as a TOM.
Weird. Almost none of those came up when I did "corgi" site:j-archive.com. Is Google gaslighting me?
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm"Pembroke" is a pretty British name.
The hell it is. That name could be from literally anywhere.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pmAnd since the clue speaks about the royalty in the preset tense (well, present perfect) and refers to "her reign," there's only one reasonable guess.
Because there is only one queen currently reigning in the entire world, right?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm Next time try looking in the j-archive. You'll find clues about "This favorite of the British royalty" and "in 1991 one of these pets bit Queen Elizabeth II" and a picture of a corgi "taking this future world leader [hint: it's Elizabeth] for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940". Still another clue says "A dorgi was the royal result when one of QEII's corgis bred with one of these dogs owned by Princess Margaret". That clue provides the association rather than asking for it, so corgi isn't used as a TOM.
Weird. Almost none of those came up when I did "corgi" site:j-archive.com. Is Google gaslighting me?
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm"Pembroke" is a pretty British name.
The hell it is. That name could be from literally anywhere.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pmAnd since the clue speaks about the royalty in the preset tense (well, present perfect) and refers to "her reign," there's only one reasonable guess.
Because there is only one queen currently reigning in the entire world, right?
a. You're gaslighting yourself.

b. Nope. British.

c. Only one British queen. Correct.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm
Not really, because...

Will it ever come up again? Probably not.

Again, unless you know every. single. detail about British royalty, it might as well be ANY of the dozen or so queens currently reigning. It could be Queen Latifah. It could be Queen Amidala. It could be Brian May.
i know next to nothing about british royalty, but that old bag and corgis is pretty synonymous, dude

btw...i posted a link for a jetpunk quiz that has a question about the queen and corgis...should take that quiz as well as other quizzes on that site to help you have a better arsenal of common knowledge
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 pmc. Only one British queen. Correct.
Are you sure? Because I don't remember the word "British" being in the clue at all:
During her reign, she's had at least 30 corgis, all descended from one given to her on her 18th birthday
No, I'm still not seeing the word "British" anywhere in that clue. Without the word "British", it might as well be any of the other queens out there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 pm b. Nope. British.
Welsh, to be specific.

And hey, guess what else is Welsh ... corgis! :)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm Again, unless you know every. single. detail about British royalty, it might as well be ANY of the dozen or so queens currently reigning. It could be Queen Latifah. It could be Queen Amidala. It could be Brian May.
Those are pretty poor guesses for the question at hand, given they're not actually a queen, fictional, and male. I'll bite on your numerical assertion, how many current female real-life queens can you name?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 pm Those are pretty poor guesses for the question at hand, given they're not actually a queen, fictional, and male. I'll bite on your numerical assertion, how many current female real-life queens can you name?
This article lists 13 who are currently reigning (as of February). Absent the Corgi knowledge, should I not expect it to be one of those? They have thrown a ringer in the top box before.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 pm Those are pretty poor guesses for the question at hand, given they're not actually a queen, fictional, and male. I'll bite on your numerical assertion, how many current female real-life queens can you name?
This article lists 13 who are currently reigning (as of February). Absent the Corgi knowledge, should I not expect it to be one of those? They have thrown a ringer in the top box before.
I meant how many could you name without looking?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm I meant how many could you name without looking?
Just QEII, but that by no means guarantees she'll be the right answer. They very well could trick us by throwing one of the lesser known queens in there.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
could you have named any of those 13 other than queen elizabeth 2 without looking them up?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm I meant how many could you name without looking?
Just QEII, but that by no means guarantees she'll be the right answer. They very well could trick us by throwing one of the lesser known queens in there.
of course it does...it is the fricking top box....almost all top boxes take 0 effort to come up with...they are free squares for the most part
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 pm of course it does...it is the fricking top box....almost all top boxes take 0 effort to come up with...they are free squares for the most part
Except for the ones that don't. I've seen top boxes that polled <10% here.

Why should I not expect a trap clue in the top box? It's happened before. Many times.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 pm of course it does...it is the fricking top box....almost all top boxes take 0 effort to come up with...they are free squares for the most part
Except for the ones that don't. I've seen top boxes that polled <10% here.

Why should I not expect a trap clue in the top box? It's happened before. Many times.
many times? CTFO....a few times, perhaps....but on the whole the fricking top box clues are gimmes
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Only you, TPH, could get lost when asked to get to the Bermuda Triangle. :P
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 am Only you, TPH, could get lost when asked to get to the Bermuda Triangle. :P
I just hit a complete blank when trying to think of ANY oceanic feature or "area" of the Atlantic. It happens.

It doesn't help that I always forget how close the Caribbean actually is to Florida. It just SOUNDS like it should be a zillion miles from nowhere like Hawaii is.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 am Only you, TPH, could get lost when asked to get to the Bermuda Triangle. :P
I just hit a complete blank when trying to think of ANY oceanic feature or "area" of the Atlantic. It happens.

It doesn't help that I always forget how close the Caribbean actually is to Florida. It just SOUNDS like it should be a zillion miles from nowhere like Hawaii is.
what else could it have been? i got it in like half a second
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:03 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 am

what else could it have been? i got it in like half a second
I just hit a complete blank and couldn't think of even a valid WAG.