The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeffwolfe »

Joan Embery of the San Diego Zoo used to regularly appear on the Tonight Show. According to imdb, she was on 64 times with Johnny Carson and 30 times with Jay Leno. So yeah, San Diego Zoo has been famous for a while.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Bartleby wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 am The Day After is certainly the big popular culture reference point for Lawrence, but is no one here a Supernatural fan?
Thank you! I knew I'd heard of Lawrence somewhere, but I couldn't remember where.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This thread is making me so nostalgic :?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dinghammer wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 pm
Bartleby wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 am The Day After is certainly the big popular culture reference point for Lawrence, but is no one here a Supernatural fan?
Thank you! I knew I'd heard of Lawrence somewhere, but I couldn't remember where.
Arabia, for me....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm Google has SeaWorld with 4.4 visitors a year.
Dang, that Blackfish movie really hurt, huh?
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, SeaWorld San Diego attendance was down 14% in 2017, so...yes.

But I think MarkBarrett exaggerated a bit :lol:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Wasn't Blackfish more a media sensation back in 2014? 2017 numbers would probably be more explicable by a slumping economy.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm
It didn't ask for a city, it asked what was in San Diego's Balboa Park.
But is it that widely known outside California that that's where San Diego Zoo is?
Yes
I should have looked up the clue and category prior to my first post about it.

SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA $200: San Diego’s Balboa Park has more than a dozen museums, a friendship garden & this attraction with 3 million-plus visitors a year

So it's an OxCam for the zoo or SeaWorld. Google has SeaWorld with 4.4 visitors a year.

The clue is naming a big San Diego attraction and knowing it's in Balboa Park is helpful though not essential to get the clue. No one is going to know the attendance differential. To me the San Diego Zoo is the more famous place.
So, SeaWorld matches the 3 million-plus visitors and is a potential negbait requiring specificity to know where the attractions are. FWIW I went to the SD Zoo as a young adult in the 80's and don't remember any association of the zoo with Balboa park. I participated in an two day athletic event in Balboa park as a 40 something adult and likewise had no idea the zoo was nearby. I definitely would have jumped higher if we'd held the Pole Vault in the tiger pit!

It was top box because WECIB for the top box. We aren't supposed to know the relative box office or the navigation requirements I'm sure.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Sea World is a private business. The San Diego Zoo is a nonprofit like most zoos, with connections to the City of San Diego. It makes far more sense that it's located in a public park.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lots of people have visited the San Diego Zoo and I suspect most of them would have never known the zoo is technically part of Balboa Park. So if you don't know that, it comes down to "name the most famous attraction in San Diego" since that usually works for top row clues. And I don't want to hear the "except when it doesn't" caveat, TPH. :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clue said:
San Diego's Balboa Park has more than a dozen museums, a Friendship Garden & this attraction with 3 million-plus visitors a year
Nothing about most famous or most visited.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 pm The clue said:
San Diego's Balboa Park has more than a dozen museums, a Friendship Garden & this attraction with 3 million-plus visitors a year
What else in San Diego do you think could attract 3 million visitors?, but more importantly I think you're time would be better spent learning about the things you get wrong as opposed to thinking up sophistry to justify you're ignorance.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Howard wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 pm
What else in San Diego do you think could attract 3 million visitors?, but more importantly I think you're time would be better spent learning about the things you get wrong as opposed to thinking up sophistry to justify you're ignorance.
Maybe the Char ... oh, wait...
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

There are obscure places that attract 3 million people a year?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeffwolfe wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 am
Maybe the airport...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am
Maybe the airport...
Airport gets ~20 million/year. Sea World got 3.1 million visitors last year, which was the obvious negbait. Petco Park (where the Padres play) get 2.5 million visitors a year for baseball games, plus more for other events, likely putting it close to/above 3 million. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park (owned by the zoo, separate location) had 1.2 million. The convention center (home of Comic-Con and many other things) has 900K visitors last year. Most professional football teams get about 500K visitors a year for home games (which the Chargers got when they were located there). I don't think anything else comes close.
Volante

Post by Volante »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:50 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am
Maybe the airport...
Airport gets ~20 million/year. Sea World got 3.1 million visitors last year, which was the obvious negbait. Petco Park (where the Padres play) get 2.5 million visitors a year for baseball games, plus more for other events, likely putting it close to/above 3 million. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park (owned by the zoo, separate location) had 1.2 million. The convention center (home of Comic-Con and many other things) has 900K visitors last year. Most professional football teams get about 500K visitors a year for home games (which the Chargers got when they were located there). I don't think anything else comes close.
The airport was intended as a joke, but the Padres averaging over 30,000 a game?! That's a better one! :lol:
( https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... misc.shtml )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm Niagara Falls is "upstate" New York? That was enough to make me clam. I would've thought "upstate" literally meant "up", as in Watertown or Saratoga Springs. In what backwards world is literally the westernmost part of the state considered "up"?
All of NY state is "up" from NYC.
I also thought the Rowling category was extremely YEKIOYD. I doubt anyone's gonna know the Snitch or Dementors unless they're a superdork who's read every book 500 times.
That happens. They've had categories dedicated to country music too.
Not 500 times though; I've only read the books once, seen each movie maybe 2-3 times each and I swept it.
"Residence hall" joins the "NHO in the top box" pile, and also strikes me as an overly generational clue.
And the college contestants in the College Tournament were of the generation. Back in my day (...now I feel old) they were still dorms. *shrug*
I thought Delilah was by far the easiest in the Bible category. And how did they get Esther of all things?
Yes to the first.
To the second, maybe they're Jewish? Or maybe the same way I got Esther: picked it up somewhere and didn't forget. (I'm thinking I got it from when Jon Stewart still hosted TDS.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm Niagara Falls is "upstate" New York? That was enough to make me clam. I would've thought "upstate" literally meant "up", as in Watertown or Saratoga Springs. In what backwards world is literally the westernmost part of the state considered "up"?
All of NY state is "up" from NYC.
Again, most of NY involves going west, even if you do go north first.
Volante wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm
I thought Delilah was by far the easiest in the Bible category. And how did they get Esther of all things?
Yes to the first.
To the second, maybe they're Jewish? Or maybe the same way I got Esther: picked it up somewhere and didn't forget. (I'm thinking I got it from when Jon Stewart still hosted TDS.)
I've been working in churches literally half my life (ugh...), and I don't think we've EVER touched the book of Esther. Looking up a summary of it, I see absolutely nothing even remotely familiar. Just like how it seems that other than Jonah, none of the Twelve Minor Prophets really ever seems to come up either. And I would sooner think Philemon to be a Digimon than a book of the Bible, given how it seems even more obscure.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

That's how many attended Trump's inaugural! The most bigly ever!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm Again, most of NY involves going west, even if you do go north first.
This one's simple: if it isn't NYC or Long Island, it's upstate. So, basically 97% of New York is considered upstate.