The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Happy Birthday. My fingers are crossed you solved the Friday FJ! clue and here are a couple of Idiotest puzzles to try.

Puzzle 1:
Spoiler
The correct answer:
Spoiler
Why it's the correct answer:
Spoiler
You can see two holes in the sock chewed by the dog. The grass is visible through those holes making holes on each side of the sock for four. The fifth hole is the normal one through the top where the foot goes.
Puzzle #2:
Spoiler
The correct answer:
Spoiler
Touch the picture of the bowl of chili.
Why it's the correct answer:
Spoiler
The instructions on the left are in the blue-colored parentheses, "It's the chili"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got the first one wrong.

Second one is completely beyond me. I don't know where to even begin. A hint?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I got the first one wrong.

Spoiler
(Some things in this reply are not letters)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I got the first one wrong.

The words say
Spoiler
(IT'S THE CHILI) The I and the close parenthesis make it look like a D, but because there was a parenthesis at the beginning, it's an I)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The strange thing is, I predicted that "the hole your foot goes in" would be part of the sock one, and I still got it wrong.

Also, what chili?
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The strange thing is, I predicted that "the hole your foot goes in" would be part of the sock one, and I still got it wrong.

Also, what chili?
The stuff in the bowl on the far right. Guess it's one of those hoity toity foods.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Maybe it's the resolution of the pic, but I just didn't see that as chili. Not like I'd have ever gotten there anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The strange thing is, I predicted that "the hole your foot goes in" would be part of the sock one, and I still got it wrong.
I'm familiar with the old joke: "Do your socks have holes?" "No." "Then how do you get your feet in?" So I was ready for that, but I didn't think to parse the all-the-way-through holes as being a hole on each side, so I jumped to the conclusion of "Ha! It looks like two but it's actually three, can't trick me!"
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: How should I know that digging through the US would hit the Indian ocean and not any of the other oceans?
Because you spend a lifetime being curious and decide to factcheck the person who says "I'm going to dig through the earth to China!"
"Get Lucky" is a freaking atrocious song. I forget, what are they up all night to do again? That song was just so vague and ambiguous about it.
Ask your parents...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
"Get Lucky" is a freaking atrocious song. I forget, what are they up all night to do again? That song was just so vague and ambiguous about it.
Ask your parents...
I said that because the song is just "We're up all night to get lucky" repeated about 40 billion times. As opposed to "Around the World", which is just "Around the World" repeated infinity times.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So how did everyone but me know to go to Jakarta? This clue just seemed insanely wide open with nothing to narrow it down.
Here is a list of the largest islands by population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... population

Very populated islands come up on Jeopardy! a lot and if you're competing you should study that list a few times and know a little bit about each island.

The list of islands by area also comes up a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area

If you want to get better at geography clues then you might want to try going to https://www.google.com/maps and simply looking around at stuff.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How should I know that digging through the US would hit the Indian ocean and not any of the other oceans?
The U.S. is in the Northern Hemisphere and the Western Hemisphere, so a hole dug directly through the center of the Earth must come out in the Southern Hemisphere and the Eastern Hemisphere.

Or, to put it another way, the U.S. touches both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, so you can rule those out. Since we're also not near either of the Poles, it's not going to be either the Arctic or Southern Ocean. That leaves only the Indian Ocean.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I played around with this at some point because I was curious:

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Hawaiians are lucky and end up in Botswana, and people living far north in Alaska get to hang out on Antarctica, but most of us will end up popping up in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
BobF

Post by BobF »

OSXpert wrote:I played around with this at some point because I was curious:

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Hawaiians are lucky and end up in Botswana, and people living far north in Alaska or Canada get to hang out on Antarctica, but most of us will end up popping up in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Fixed.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: How should I know that digging through the US would hit the Indian ocean and not any of the other oceans?
It should take a minimum of thinking to rule out the other oceans.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Pacific Ocean is so large I can see a knee-jerk response leading you to it, but if you've got a little time to think about it the Indian Ocean makes more sense.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reddit guy uploads each game, so that is always an easy place to go when DVR issues occur, Hammer.

Don't even try a WLT for "B"ogotá just because the players missed a first box clue and enjoy the first DD.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

There was a recent DD about [...] and the correct response was Edinburgh. Alex commented that it was toss-up between 2 cities in Scotland - which leads to the inevitable question - WLT Edinburgh? (when not prompted with 'capital city')

This got me thinking: there are areas I don't know much about that amount to a toss-up: A or B? What are some useful tips for picking the right one in these cases?

A few come to mind: Athens / Sparta, Genghis Kahn / Kublai Kahn (I'm sure there are more like this)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm The reddit guy uploads each game, so that is always an easy place to go when DVR issues occur, Hammer.

Don't even try a WLT for "B"ogotá just because the players missed a first box clue and enjoy the first DD.
I actually did know Bogotá because I had a Colombian exchange student who was from there.

Also, having some personal issues with the mother that I sadly still live with. What a hateful, toxic, narrow minded, unsymapthetic person she is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

In case anyone's wondering where I've been lately, I left for Texas on Wednesday night and just got back this morning. I also had to work today so I haven't had time to binge just yet.

It's not as big a deal if I watch Wheel out of order since there're no champions, but I still need help getting Thursday's and Friday's episodes of both J! and Wheel thanks to March Madness.