The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm Should I just give up then? It's clear I'm too fucking dumb for this shit.
No, the problem is you give up too quickly. You need to break down the problem and stop trying to do it all at one. You ask one question, then we give you an answer, and then the "but that doesn't tell me <unrelated thing>". Well, it's time to take the first answer, and then use it to move on to the next thing, instead of thinking there's a shortcut to everything.
I am trying to get from $1.47 to... something. What is that thing.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm Should I just give up then? It's clear I'm too fucking dumb for this shit.
No, the problem is you give up too quickly. You need to break down the problem and stop trying to do it all at one. You ask one question, then we give you an answer, and then the "but that doesn't tell me <unrelated thing>". Well, it's time to take the first answer, and then use it to move on to the next thing, instead of thinking there's a shortcut to everything.
I am trying to get from $1.47 to... something. What is that thing.
Here's the problem when you ask the question...

We tell you, you go to $1.50.

You then ask why.

We tell you why.

You then complain, "That doesn't help me get to $50.00"

Because somehow you think there's a magic want that gets you from $1.50 to $50.00. There isn't. The answer to your first question is the answer to your first question. You have to ask a second question, or continue working to get to the final answer.

At risk of repeating myself yet again, let's go over this one more time from the beginning.

You're trying to find the change given when you give a $50 for a $1.47 product. We know 50 - X = 1.47 (X being the unknown of the amount you get back.

We ALSO know that X + 1.47 = 50. This is because addition and subtraction are what we call "inverse" operations. Don't worry about the word "inverse", just think of them as backwards operations.

So, before we do ANY math, are you comfortable with the fact that we can turn a subtraction problem into an addition problem?

If so........

Why do we add weird numbers? The fewer digits you have to work with, the better. We start with $1.47. Let's make the last digit look like a 0. How do we do that? add 3 cents.

$1.47 + $0.03 = $1.50. This isn't the end all or be all of what we just did, but a first step. Next, let's try to make the $0.50 look like $0.00. Remember, we're ultimately trying to get to $50.00

$1.50 + $0.50 = $2.00. Are we okay there? So far, we've done 2 simple addition problems. Now, let's make the $2.00 look like $50.00

$2.00 + $48.00 = $50.00 There we go, we're back at $50.

But wait, what is the answer? Remember, the original changed problem was X + 1.47 = 50.00. So what is X? X is all the little things we added along the way. $0.03 + $0.50 + $48.00

$48.53 is what you should get back as change.

Instead of doing 1 big problem $50.00-$1.47, we did 3 smaller problems that are easier to digest one at a time.

Don't give up... Read this over. Ask a question, but understand that each individual piece won't get you to the answer by itself.

(I'm really hoping this works, but you know what they say about hope over experience)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm $1.50 + $0.50 = $2.00. Are we okay there? So far, we've done 2 simple addition problems. Now, let's make the $2.00 look like $50.00

But there's no easier way to do THAT, now is there?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm not convinced sufficient skill has been demonstrated to get past:

A customer buys an item that costs $.47
The customer hands the clerk $1.00
The clerks hands back change in the amount of?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 pm I'm not convinced sufficient skill has been demonstrated to get past:

It takes me forever to spit out the answer because I have to check it a billion times to make sure I'm right. Again, 53 just doesn't "feel" like it's right to me.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am ...What's hard is to watch a football game and figure the line of gain when it's 3rd and 11 from your own 44 yard line....
It's easier in Canada - the 55-yard line. ;)
OCSam
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 pm I'm not convinced sufficient skill has been demonstrated to get past:

It takes me forever to spit out the answer because I have to check it a billion times to make sure I'm right. Again, 53 just doesn't "feel" like it's right to me.
If you really want to improve that "feel", you need lots and lots of practice. I'd suggest heading over to www.khanacademy.org, signing up (it's free!) to keep track of your progress over time, and start in on the basic arithmetic lessons.

They'll guide you through practice, and keep giving you appropriate problems until you demonstrate you've mastered an area. You can learn at your own pace, but it will take some self-discipline to keep going back every day for more practice.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am ...What's hard is to watch a football game and figure the line of gain when it's 3rd and 11 from your own 44 yard line....
But wouldn’t you punt on 3rd and 11?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm $1.50 + $0.50 = $2.00. Are we okay there? So far, we've done 2 simple addition problems. Now, let's make the $2.00 look like $50.00

But there's no easier way to do THAT, now is there?
Well, if you want to break it down further:

$2 + $8 = $10

$10 + $40 = $50

But if you're telling me, you can't figure out 2 + what = 50? I mean, ultimately, you still have to do 2nd grade level math here.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:56 am
But wouldn’t you punt on 3rd and 11?
You can have your receivers running at full speed up to the line of scrimmage before the snap. Go for it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:D
That was a perfect setup wasn't it?

The reason us Chiefs fans need to do the math is so our receivers can stop halfway there to complete the 3 and out!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

When you go to the bank to get money, they always count it out at least twice.
When I count money for some official purpose, I always count it out at least twice.
There's nothing wrong with doing the calculation multiple times, but after getting the same answer two or three times, I figure I've probably gotten the right answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 am There's nothing wrong with doing the calculation multiple times, but after getting the same answer two or three times, I figure I've probably gotten the right answer.
That's the problem. I HAVE done the same calculation multiple times and gotten different answers.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 am
jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 am There's nothing wrong with doing the calculation multiple times, but after getting the same answer two or three times, I figure I've probably gotten the right answer.
That's the problem. I HAVE done the same calculation multiple times and gotten different answers.
That's impossible.

Anyways, you obviously didn't really do a the calculation a billion times, but you did it, what? Maybe 10 times?

What was the distribution of answers? If it was 8 or 9 of the same and 1 or 2 different, you probably made a clerical error in the 1 or 2 and the 8 or 9 are correct. If the vast majority were legitimately not the same (presumably correct) answer, then...yeah, you have a problem.

Anyways, are do doing the calculation with a calculator or a paper and pencil.

Because if with a calculator, then make sure you hit the decimal button before typing ".47" .

If with a paper and pencil, this is the correct procedure. Let me know where you deviated from it during the times you got the wrong answer and we can see what the fundamental issue is. Maybe.

Subtract1.jpg
Subtract1.jpg (238.72 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Subtract2.jpg
Subtract2.jpg (186.3 KiB) Viewed 4966 times

The algorithm used therein can help you solve any subtraction problem. It should not be necessary to use this much detail for this basic a problem, but you are a special breed.

NOW: As to you saying it doesn't "feel" right that 1 - 0.47 = 0.53 or that 13 - 5 = 8. Okay? You obviously are pretty terrible at math (not meant to be an insult, but it's clearly a fact) so this should literally be the last consideration you have. In fact, it should not be a consideration at all.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Why not? Let's try to make it a little easier.

47 cents is pretty close to 50 cents. Can you do 1 dollar minus 50 cents?

Is the answer pretty close to the actual answer of 53 cents? That should make it "feel" more right. Do you understand that 7 + 3 = 10?
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 am
I hate when that happens. I once volunteered for an event and I was counting the till. I counted a stack of bills and got a number. Then I counted it again to make sure and got a different number. So I counted it a third time and got a different number from the second time. It may have been the same as the first, but by then I didn't trust it. I must have counted that stupid pile of money at least five times before I was satisfied I got the right number.

Here's the thing: I consider myself really good with numbers. So when I got conflicting answers, I didn't get down on myself or give up. I just figured I miscounted or two bills stuck together or something. So I kept at it until I got the answer.

In my experience, when someone says, "I'll never get it," they're right. Not because they're incapable, but because they just decided not to get it. You can't make it easy by deciding it's easy, but you can make it impossible by deciding it's impossible. It might be very, very hard for you. That you can't control. But if you persist you will get it. And if you practice it will get easier. But maybe set aside the shortcuts until you're comfortable doing it the long way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I can't remember the last time I had to find this thread on page 2. Wings as the first Best Picture winner is almost as basic as George Washington the first president.

Of course it's been a while since you have come across that fact:

#7529, aired 2017-05-11 THE SILENT MOVIE ERA $2000: A thrilling story of WWI pilots, it won the first Academy Award for Best Picture
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm George Washington the first president.
Citation needed
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm I can't remember the last time I had to find this thread on page 2. Wings as the first Best Picture winner is almost as basic as George Washington the first president.

Of course it's been a while since you have come across that fact:

#7529, aired 2017-05-11 THE SILENT MOVIE ERA $2000: A thrilling story of WWI pilots, it won the first Academy Award for Best Picture
Funny how often things pop up serendipitously (screw you spell check, I'm making the adverb). I NHO Wings until Alietr posted the graphic today of all the Oscar winners and I surfed it to find I've seen 20 of the 86? movies to win. I just saw the name on the list. It is a top box clue if you've done ANY homework, but otherwise is completely YEKIOYD. I think it is a 4th row clue, especially as a rhyme time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Wings" strikes me as one of those "firsts" that seems noteworthy only for its "first"ness, rather than for being an actual thing. Sort of like how nobody really knows "Video Killed the Radio Star" for anything other than "first video aired on MTV".