The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:54 pm For a Wheel of Fortune champion, you're surprisingly inept at completing phrases.
I shouldn't have to do THAT DEEP of a mental dig in the top box. Silver Spring is what, the 100,000th most populous city in Maryland? Probably not even in the top 100 of ways to complete "Silver ____".

Your reasoning was "it just sounded right". Well, maybe "Silver Spring, Kentucky" or "Silver Spring, Ohio" "sounds" more right to my ears.
The clue spotted Silver Spring (and another locale!); you just had to give the state. I gave the state because it sounded right, and it sounded right because I knew it. (And lest we forget, that clue polled at over 85% on these boards.)

Why don't you search J! Archive for "adoration" and see how many different trios the word is juxtaposed with? [edit: and no, the Medicis don't count, because Botticelli put more than three of them into his painting of that scene!]
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 am Why don't you search J! Archive for "adoration" and see how many different trios the word is juxtaposed with? [edit: and no, the Medicis don't count, because Botticelli put more than three of them into his painting of that scene!]
I HAVE heard of "Adoration of the Magi" but it didn't seem like something I should keep at the forefront. Again, I shouldn't have to do that deep of a dig in the top box.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 am Why don't you search J! Archive for "adoration" and see how many different trios the word is juxtaposed with? [edit: and no, the Medicis don't count, because Botticelli put more than three of them into his painting of that scene!]
I HAVE heard of "Adoration of the Magi" but it didn't seem like something I should keep at the forefront. Again, I shouldn't have to do that deep of a dig in the top box.
I (for one) don't need to have the full phrase "at the forefront" to reflexively respond "the Magi" when given "Adoration of" in a J! clue. I might have to think for a moment if the clue were something like "Common title of paintings depicting the Three Wise Men encountering Jesus," but when they give me over 60% of the title I don't have to dig for the rest.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:36 am I (for one) don't need to have the full phrase "at the forefront" to reflexively respond "the Magi" when given "Adoration of" in a J! clue. I might have to think for a moment if the clue were something like "Common title of paintings depicting the Three Wise Men encountering Jesus," but when they give me over 60% of the title I don't have to dig for the rest.
Yeah, well I DO have to excavate for this one.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 pm"Adoration of" should be enough to cue "Magi" for those who have ever heard the full phrase,
Which I have, but "adoration" just seemed way too wide-open for me to get a bead on. Could be any trio for all I know, and nothing in the clue even remotely points to a religious trio. Could have been the Three Musketeers, the three Stooges, the Pythagorean theorem, the Three Little Pigs, the three lower strings on my guitar when it's in DADGAD tuning...
TPH, how could you omit "The Adoration of the Pep Boys"?
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:37 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:36 am I (for one) don't need to have the full phrase "at the forefront" to reflexively respond "the Magi" when given "Adoration of" in a J! clue. I might have to think for a moment if the clue were something like "Common title of paintings depicting the Three Wise Men encountering Jesus," but when they give me over 60% of the title I don't have to dig for the rest.
Yeah, well I DO have to excavate for this one.
I get it, but it's not J!'s fault.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:54 pm For a Wheel of Fortune champion, you're surprisingly inept at completing phrases.
I shouldn't have to do THAT DEEP of a mental dig in the top box. Silver Spring is what, the 100,000th most populous city in Maryland? Probably not even in the top 100 of ways to complete "Silver ____".

Your reasoning was "it just sounded right". Well, maybe "Silver Spring, Kentucky" or "Silver Spring, Ohio" "sounds" more right to my ears.
Close, it's fourth. And it has a population roughly the same as other inanely obscure places like Pawtucket RI, Santa Fe NM, Iowa City IA and Gulfport MS. Every heard of any of those? And since you mentioned ways to complete "Silver ____", typing "Silver" by itself into Google returns "Silver Spring" third on the list and "Silver Spring MD" sixth.

On a similar note, if you start typing "adorat...", "Adoration of the Magi" is LITERALLY the first thing in the recommended completion list after the single word "adoration" itself. Doesn't necessarily MEAN anything, but that should give you an idea of how obscure it is(n't).
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tuesday: The correct response on one hand and nothing in the other. You weighed the scales and picked nothing. :evil:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 pm Tuesday: The correct response on one hand and nothing in the other. You weighed the scales and picked nothing. :evil:
More like I chucked Salem across the room because I was certain it didn't fit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 pm Tuesday: The correct response on one hand and nothing in the other. You weighed the scales and picked nothing. :evil:
More like I chucked Salem across the room because I was certain it didn't fit.
Poor kitty...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seriously though. If I'm 9001% certain that the only thing that comes to mind is wrong, and I've come up with any sort of logic to completely rule it out...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 pm Not even the slightest bit of a WAG on FJ! I pored over this clue for a good five minutes and nothing stuck out as a TOM at all. What even WAS the tipoff, anyway?!
You needed to make the connection that her grandmother’s last name was also the last name of the protagonist in To Kill a Mockingbird.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 pm
Bit down on the Frank Lloyd Wright negbait on Architecture for $2,000. WHY DO I ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT EVERY SINGLE TIME?!
If it's asking for the name of an architect in the $2000 box, it ain't Frank Lloyd Wright.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

True North wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm You needed to make the connection that her grandmother’s last name was also the last name of the protagonist in To Kill a Mockingbird.
Oh, you mean the one thing I immediately tuned out as background noise again, AS USUAL?
mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:12 pm If it's asking for the name of an architect in the $2000 box, it ain't Frank Lloyd Wright.
It totally could be in a college tourney.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bit down on the Frank Lloyd Wright negbait on Architecture for $2,000. WHY DO I ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT EVERY SINGLE TIME?!
The clue mentioned Paris which should have eliminated FLW as a response.
mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:12 pm If it's asking for the name of an architect in the $2000 box, it ain't Frank Lloyd Wright.
Not so in this game, interestingly enough, also in the College Tournament. But in general, you are correct.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2454
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 pm
The clue mentioned Paris which should have eliminated FLW as a response.
Not so in this game, interestingly enough, also in the College Tournament. But in general, you are correct.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2454
I think mas3cf's assertion would be well modified with "and they spot you 'Frank'".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:12 pm
If it's asking for the name of an architect in the $2000 box, it ain't Frank Lloyd Wright.
Hell, Sistine Chapel was in a $1600 box yesterday (or was it Monday?).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Unannounced pre-emption? Yesterday's news (anything posted after I go to bed and before I wake up is yesterday): https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... _16_april/

I took a quick spin on the typical sites and did not spot today's J! game. I did see a promo spot for James Taylor category next week and in thinking it would be harmless, watched it. Nope, spoiler alert.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm Unannounced pre-emption? Yesterday's news (anything posted after I go to bed and before I wake up is yesterday): https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... _16_april/

I took a quick spin on the typical sites and did not spot today's J! game. I did see a promo spot for James Taylor category next week and in thinking it would be harmless, watched it. Nope, spoiler alert.
WNEM blocked it out too. No announcement, no delayed airing. I thought they'd gotten better about this by now...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:53 pm I remember being floored by "Coriolanus" being a top box once in regular play. That was one of the few times most people agreed with me that the value was way out of whack.
Which one?

WRITTEN BY $200: "Measure for Measure", "Coriolanus"

LET'S GO "C" A PLAY $400: Caius Marcius' victory at Corioli earns him this name, the title of a Shakespeare tragedy

THE THESPIAN DIRECTS $400: Think he's British? The director of "Coriolanus" on film was born Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-this

Those are the only literal top row hits in the archive, and they all seem reasonable to me. First one can be bypassed with "Measure for Measure", and I think even without it, vaguely knowing the author is 100% fair game. The second one explicitly spots you the first letter, and tacitly spots you the first six letters of the play's name, and also gives you the author. It's more of a "wordplay", "logic", or "let's make a reasoned guess and see if it sticks" clue than a knowledge-based clue. The last one has very little to do with the play or film itself, as the film wasn't released widely enough to be J! canon. But it does have to do with recognizing a British (Welsh) actor/director whose first name is Ralph - and if Alex pronounced it as I think he did, it's a gimmie. There aren't too many "Rayphs" out there.

The second one might be a little tricky in buzzer-time. But it's not impossible.