The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

Hey, just because it is "his" thread doesn't mean we can unload on him with personal attacks. Let's be civil
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm Also don't recognize James Spader at all, nor either character named at $400.
He literally won two Emmys for his role as Alan Shore on Boston Legal.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm Also don't recognize James Spader at all, nor either character named at $400.
And once for The Practice.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of Boston Legal.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I definitely don't have a great J! record either and even I am surprised by some of these things you claim to have never heard of.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 pm

I also never heard of the actor, or the show. And, I'm sure they never heard of me. I'm content to keep it this way, and it's fine if it appears as a clue as long as someone has a shot at it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I am very much with him on wondering why Spader was the $400 clue, as I had never heard those two character names. Somehow I didn't equate "Boston lawyer" with Boston Legal quickly enough, and even if I had couldn't have named anybody who was on the show.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 pm
How about Pretty in Pink?
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 pm Can't say I've heard of Boston Legal.
How about Pretty in Pink?
Just to clarify, Opus is referring to the 1980s Brat Pack film as opposed to the better-known My Little Pony convention held annually at the Abilene Ramada.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 pm I definitely don't have a great J! record either and even I am surprised by some of these things you claim to have never heard of.
To be fair, he claims to have never heard of things multiple times for the same thing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Modern versions of this ceremony can include pagan aspects like a bouquet of herbs or handfasting
I still see nothing whatsoever leading to "Wedding" in that clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm
Modern versions of this ceremony can include pagan aspects like a bouquet of herbs or handfasting
"Handfasting" made me think of binding two people's hands together. Toss in a bouquet (so to speak) and the word "ceremony" and I couldn't imagine it being anything else.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:46 pm
"Handfasting" made me think of binding two people's hands together. Toss in a bouquet (so to speak) and the word "ceremony" and I couldn't imagine it being anything else.
I just found the clue to be total word salad that I couldn't make heads or tails of. Another one of those "smell what the writer is cooking" clues I take it?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm
I just found the clue to be total word salad that I couldn't make heads or tails of. Another one of those "smell what the writer is cooking" clues I take it?
All I know is that I got it right by following my instincts on the words contained in the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm
All I know is that I got it right by following my instincts on the words contained in the clue.
Whereas my instincts said "I have no idea what handfasting is, and there are lots of ceremonies that could involve herbs or plants in some way, therefore this clue is impossible."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pmNo guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!
Are you really curious and will apply the knowledge in the future? Or are you just tilting at windmills here? Because if you're just exasperated, stop.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pmNo guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!
Are you really curious and will apply the knowledge in the future? Or are you just tilting at windmills here? Because if you're just exasperated, stop.
What good does it do to have that particular piece of information in my brain? What good does it do YOU?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 pm Are you really curious and will apply the knowledge in the future?
Are you seriously asking this question?

What page are we on?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 pm
What good does it do to have that particular piece of information in my brain? What good does it do YOU?
A sense of accomplishment when I get clues right, and if I get them wrong, it's either "that's a way I can better myself" or "welp, I hope that one doesn't repeat when I get on."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm sense of accomplishment when I get clues right, and if I get them wrong, it's either "that's a way I can better myself" or "welp, I hope that one doesn't repeat when I get on."
"Yay! I did a thing! I r smert"