The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm So did you guess? You complain about 1 in 3 odds, but that's way better than the 0 percent chance of you not guessing. And clearly, other people had it figured out. You think that name comes from Ireland or Cyprus? Sure it COULD, but it's the top box. They're not trying to trick you there.
I dunno, with the diacritical marks I could totally see that as Gaelic or a phonetic spelling of a Greek name. Both actually seem far MORE plausible than Icelandic to me.

And again. If I guess, I guess wrong. If I don't guess, I'm just as wrong. Seems like neither is beneficial.
The only diacritical mark Gaelic uses, whether Scots or Irish, is the fada, which looks exactly like a French acute accent (a small slanted line over a vowel). Trust me, as someone who grew up in Ireland and learned Irish, that name had no similarity to anything in Irish. For Greek, think names ending in -ous, -as or -sis, for example: Papadopoulos, Tsisipas, Onassis. It is well-known, though, that Icelandic women's surnames end in -dottir. It's the kind of general knowledge you just pick up from reading and being curious.

Though you are right about names not always reflect the country's heritage; I was looking for Leo Varadkar in that category. But you won't find that kind of non-obvious clue in the top box unless the person is a household name.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm And again. If I guess, I guess wrong. If I don't guess, I'm just as wrong. Seems like neither is beneficial.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:03 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 pm This bitching about it for 3 days, is that beneficial?
So what I'm getting is that the TOM was super obscure for the top box. Can we just poll this and see how many actually got it? I'm saying 40, tops.
I passed on the poll request to avoid the hassle with the image and because it got discussed enough here.

You are welcome to follow through with the Prince and Michael Jackson song poll idea and include the leader clue as well. I'm not saying over 75% for Iceland though I would take over 40%.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 pm I'm not saying over 75% for Iceland though I would take over 40%.
I would guess it to be in the 70% range.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 pm I'm not saying over 75% for Iceland though I would take over 40%.
In Learned League 71 Match Day 7 was the following question:

The world's first woman to be democratically elected as chief of state was Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, who served as what nation's president beginning in August 1980?

WIth around 7,000 players participating, 73% got this correct, with another 11% saying Finland. I'd speculate that if "island nation" was included, most of that 11% would make the short jump from Finland to Iceland, and some amount of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark answers would do the same. This could put it in the 90% range, and I suspect the league average for all Learned League players is probably a good match for the jboard average on questions like this. There you go, no poll needed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 pm In Learned League 71 Match Day 7 was the following question:

The world's first woman to be democratically elected as chief of state was Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, who served as what nation's president beginning in August 1980?
Have to check and see if I got that right ....

Yep, I did. Whew.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:59 pm
I think a poll for getting it correct will poll above 80%. But if you poll about individual useful TOMs, the name syntax and pronunciation will poll last (not counting the YEKIOYD as TOM). For me, it was probably:

1) European Island nation
2) Female
3) Iceland is the flavor of the month for the last few years
4) J and K letters in the name (Reykjavik anyone?)
5) Former flight attendant
6) YEKIOYD the name.

I for one did not know the naming convention of -dottir. If I spent a week there, I might pick up on it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

heppm01 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:08 am Every single peson who has responded about this has told you exactly the opposite. It's not super obscure, it's not remotely obscure.
I disagree. For a trivia devotee it is not obscure but for a "normal" person I think it is quite obscure. But as someone making the trek from the latter to the former, it is now lodged firmly in my mind.
But this board (whom he wanted to poll) isn’t made up of “normal” people. For me, Iceland was an instaget based on the dottir suffix.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This thread was at the bottom of page. We can't have it slipping to page 2.

Globe = 360 degrees

one third would be 3 into 360

3 goes into 3 one time.
3 goes into 6 two times.
3 goes into 0 zero times.

120. Done. Ignore all the noise of the clue.

or 300 divided by 3 is 100 and 60 divided by 3 is 20. 100+20=120 :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm This thread was at the bottom of page. We can't have it slipping to page 2.

Globe = 360 degrees

3 goes into 3 one time.
3 goes into 6 two times.

I can do 360/3 just fine. It's just that

a.) being a Clue Crew clue, there was so much "blah blah blah" in the clue that I couldn't get a bead on things

b.) I got latitude and longitude mixed up again

c.) even if I hadn't, I thought both only went up to 90
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm This thread was at the bottom of page. We can't have it slipping to page 2.

Globe = 360 degrees

3 goes into 3 one time.
3 goes into 6 two times.

I can do 360/3 just fine. It's just that

a.) being a Clue Crew clue, there was so much "blah blah blah" in the clue that I couldn't get a bead on things

b.) I got latitude and longitude mixed up again

c.) even if I hadn't, I thought both only went up to 90
Longitude goes up to 180 in each direction from the prime meridian (to the anti-meridian). It's true that latitude only goes to 90 (in each direction from the equator), but that doesn't change that it's 360 degrees around.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm c.) even if I hadn't, I thought both only went up to 90
Think about the subtended angle for each. Going from the equator to the north or south pole is a subtended angle of 90 degrees. Going from the Prime Meridian to the International Date Line subtends an angle of 180 degrees.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm c.) even if I hadn't, I thought both only went up to 90
Think about the subtended angle for each. Going from the equator to the north or south pole is a subtended angle of 90 degrees. Going from the Prime Meridian to the International Date Line subtends an angle of 180 degrees.
I looked up "subtended angle" and I STILL don't know what it means.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am Any reason I should know what instrument the concertmaster plays? Could be anything. Odd when $400 is my only miss in a music category.
Of course there's a reason. It's the same reason you should know that Ringo Starr was the drummer for the Beatles or that a kangaroo is a marsupial. They might ask.

Could be anything? Could be a washboard? Comb and toilet paper? Theremin? Manatee? The Grand Canyon? There's a very limited number of possibilities for what the concert master of an orchestra might play. Piano wasn't a terrible guess if you don't know that most orchestral pieces don't use one. What are the other plausible options?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am Any reason I should know what instrument the concertmaster plays? Could be anything. Odd when $400 is my only miss in a music category.
Of course there's a reason. It's the same reason you should know that Ringo Starr was the drummer for the Beatles or that a kangaroo is a marsupial. They might ask.

Could be anything? Could be a washboard? Comb and toilet paper? Theremin? Manatee? The Grand Canyon? There's a very limited number of possibilities for what the concert master of an orchestra might play. Piano wasn't a terrible guess if you don't know that most orchestral pieces don't use one. What are the other plausible options?
Literally any other instrument in the orchestra.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Literally any other instrument in the orchestra.
Except the viola. Come on. You have to admit the viola's not a possibility.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

May 8:
What was the TOM for Boxing in Rules for $400? I didn't see any hints at all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 pm May 8:
Pretty sure Marquess of Queensberry was given.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 pm
queensberry was for sure in the clue....queensberry and in a rules category...pavlov=boxing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 pm
<10 archive hits. Hardly Pavlovian.