The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm
trainman wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 am
Sorry the scan came out a little blurry (I was trying to handle the old paper very carefully), but here is a portion of a 60-year-old road map from my personal collection. Major highways are red, but the more minor highways are blue.
I just picked three random maps from my collection. Two are official Michigan ones from the highway department, and both have all highways in red. One was a Sohio map of the eastern US, and it had major highways in red, minor ones in black, and freeways in green.
Apparently the name "Blue Highways" came from the color scheme Rand McNally used to use in their road atlas.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm
trainman wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 am
Sorry the scan came out a little blurry (I was trying to handle the old paper very carefully), but here is a portion of a 60-year-old road map from my personal collection. Major highways are red, but the more minor highways are blue.
I just picked three random maps from my collection. Two are official Michigan ones from the highway department, and both have all highways in red. One was a Sohio map of the eastern US, and it had major highways in red, minor ones in black, and freeways in green.
And how old are these maps? You do realize that the clue talked about old maps, and trainman showed you an old map. If your maps are at least younger than the Vietnam War, your point means nothing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm
NHO "executor"
I recall your father passing away a year or so ago, so you may have heard of it then, especially with your mom mostly being his executor or co-executor. (It is something that I knew, being a common word despite any protestations you may give, but with my mom's recent passing it was more in my radar lately, as it was when my grandmother passed away 25 years ago and my mom was her executor)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 am
As a noun, "exploit" can mean "a bold or daring feat."
How are there still so many words in the English language that I've never heard used in a certain way? "Enterprising" was another one I remember from a recent episode, mainly because WNEM was also using it in commercials for their news programs.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 am
What kind of church you go to again? I'm pretty sure you've heard of the Beatitudes and just don't recall the term.
Oh, "Blessed are the poor in spirit" etc. etc. Those things. Didn't know they had a name.
If you look in your Bible, chances are the chapters are divided into sections, especially the New Testament, so you can find things easier. You'll notice here for example, the section starting at verse 3 is labelled "The Beatitudes". I have about a dozen Bibles in my bookshelf and the vast majority of them are labelled in such a way, check yours and I'm sure you'll see it. So if you came across the "blessed"s, you came across the phrase.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:15 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm
trainman wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 am
Sorry the scan came out a little blurry (I was trying to handle the old paper very carefully), but here is a portion of a 60-year-old road map from my personal collection. Major highways are red, but the more minor highways are blue.
I just picked three random maps from my collection. Two are official Michigan ones from the highway department, and both have all highways in red. One was a Sohio map of the eastern US, and it had major highways in red, minor ones in black, and freeways in green.
And how old are these maps? You do realize that the clue talked about old maps, and trainman showed you an old map. If your maps are at least younger than the Vietnam War, your point means nothing.
All of them were older than the Vietnam War. One of them was older than WWII.
dhkendall wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm
NHO "executor"
I recall your father passing away a year or so ago, so you may have heard of it then, especially with your mom mostly being his executor or co-executor. (It is something that I knew, being a common word despite any protestations you may give, but with my mom's recent passing it was more in my radar lately, as it was when my grandmother passed away 25 years ago and my mom was her executor)
That word never came up at all during that.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 pm

For 7/18:
WLT "bat" at $200? There are lots of animals that live in trees. And I'm embarrassed that I missed that, because I love bats.
WLT Ben & Jerry's at $200? There are lots of ice cream companies named for people.
How is "concession stand" an oxymoron? Not seeing it.
No guess on FJ! I saw nothing remotely accessible in this at all.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Harwich, MA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by nlw44 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 pm
For 7/18:
WLT "bat" at $200? There are lots of animals that live in trees. And I'm embarrassed that I missed that, because I love bats.
WLT Ben & Jerry's at $200? There are lots of ice cream companies named for people.
How is "concession stand" an oxymoron? Not seeing it.
No guess on FJ! I saw nothing remotely accessible in this at all.
1 - But not lots of "mammals" that "roost" in trees, a word which conjures up birds or other flying animals. And the bat is the only flying mammal.

2 - Take a best guess at the most well-known ice cream using first names, since as I recall, the clue told you the last name of one of them was Cohen.

3 - Concession can mean giving in to some request or demand, while stand can mean maintaining your position and NOT giving in to some request or demand (as in "standing your ground").

4 - Nicholas II = last Romanov tsar before the revolution; Russian holy man immediately associated with Nicholas and his wife Alexandra ("we" in the quote) = Rasputin.

If you don't like these explanations, please don't come back with some comment about how you can't possibly be expected to know any of these things. You've asked what led to these answers, and I've told you my reasoning. Others may have taken other routes.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm

nlw44 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm
1 - But not lots of "mammals" that "roost" in trees, a word which conjures up birds or other flying animals. And the bat is the only flying mammal.
That's a lot of keywords for the top box. "Monkey faced" had me stuck on primates, many of which are in trees, and "roost" seemed totally immaterial.
nlw44 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm
3 - Concession can mean giving in to some request or demand, while stand can mean maintaining your position and NOT giving in to some request or demand (as in "standing your ground").
I have never heard "concession" in that context before. I didn't know it had a meaning other than "snack stand". Again, HOW are there so many different definitions of the same word that I've never encountered before?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Harwich, MA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by nlw44 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm
nlw44 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm
3 - Concession can mean giving in to some request or demand, while stand can mean maintaining your position and NOT giving in to some request or demand (as in "standing your ground").
I have never heard "concession" in that context before. I didn't know it had a meaning other than "snack stand". Again, HOW are there so many different definitions of the same word that I've never encountered before?
That I cannot answer, but in my case, I suspect it is because I read a good bit and have watched a lot of old movies. And because I pay attention when unfamiliar words or usages come my way. Two of the best gifts my mother ever gave me when I moved out of the house were an atlas and a dictionary.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 pm
WLT Ben & Jerry's at $200? There are lots of ice cream companies named for people.
The clue said there were multiple founders - are there any other ice cream brand names you know with multiple people's first names?
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm
nlw44 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm
3 - Concession can mean giving in to some request or demand, while stand can mean maintaining your position and NOT giving in to some request or demand (as in "standing your ground").
I have never heard "concession" in that context before. I didn't know it had a meaning other than "snack stand". Again, HOW are there so many different definitions of the same word that I've never encountered before?
How about the word "concede," do you know that one? Concession is just that word with a "-tion" suffix. If that's too unfair, then "Concession speech" is what a defeated electoral candidate gives when they've accepted that they lost, I seem to recall a significant one last November.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.
What else could it have been? Unless you were torn between two answers, I see no reason to reject the obvious one.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
Barcelona = unusual architecture?
Yep, and a lot of other historic sites, art, and tourist attractions. Most low-level questions asking for a city in Spain are looking for Barcelona. That might not be something you've ever heard before, but you know now, so you'll get it right next time.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm
That's a lot of keywords for the top box. "Monkey faced" had me stuck on primates, many of which are in trees, and "roost" seemed totally immaterial.
You have no excuse there - In Pokemon, only flying types can learn the move "Roost."
Last edited by Wheatley on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
How about the word "concede," do you know that one? Concession is just that word with a "-tion" suffix. If that's too unfair, then "Concession speech" is what a defeated electoral candidate gives when they've accepted that they lost, I seem to recall a significant one last November.
Concede = concession never clicked because of the D. I never would've guessed in a million years that those words were etymologically related.
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.
What else could it have been? Unless you were torn between two answers, I see no reason to reject the obvious one.
How was it obvious if they chose such obscure names?
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
You have no excuse there - In Pokemon, only flying types can learn the move "Roost."
I also haven't played it in like 10 years.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
How about the word "concede," do you know that one? Concession is just that word with a "-tion" suffix. If that's too unfair, then "Concession speech" is what a defeated electoral candidate gives when they've accepted that they lost, I seem to recall a significant one last November.
Concede = concession never clicked because of the D. I never would've guessed in a million years that those words were etymologically related.
Recede, proceed, and succeed all do the same thing with their D
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
You have no excuse there - In Pokemon, only flying types can learn the move "Roost."
I also haven't played it in like 10 years.
I ask you, how was I supposed to know that when your avatar is a Pokemon?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4786
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.
What else could it have been? Unless you were torn between two answers, I see no reason to reject the obvious one.
How was it obvious if they chose such obscure names?
The clue said "this genre" and the category had "SCIENCE" in quotation marks. They could have named people who had a single copy of a book published by a vanity press.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.
What else could it have been? Unless you were torn between two answers, I see no reason to reject the obvious one.
How was it obvious if they chose such obscure names?
The clue said "this genre" and the category had "SCIENCE" in quotation marks. They could have named people who had a single copy of a book published by a vanity press.
RTFC then.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Also "Heinlein" is Pavlov for Science Fiction. He wrote "Starship Troopers", "The Pupper Masters", and "Stranger in a Strange Land".
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7079
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:40 pm

MattKnowles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm
Also "Heinlein" is Pavlov for Science Fiction. He wrote "Starship Troopers", "The Pupper Masters", and "Stranger in a Strange Land".
TPH has used the word "grok" many times. You might think he'd know who made it up.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
No guess on FJ! The keywords led me nowhere. "Baker" had me thinking something food related, and even when he said "fire" the connection didn't register.
So, bakers don't use ovens to do their baking?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
No guess on FJ! The keywords led me nowhere. "Baker" had me thinking something food related, and even when he said "fire" the connection didn't register.
So, bakers don't use ovens to do their baking?
I know, but I just didn't make the leap from baker -> oven -> oven can cause a fire until a few seconds after he said "fire".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm
WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.
What else could it have been? Unless you were torn between two answers, I see no reason to reject the obvious one.
How was it obvious if they chose such obscure names?
The clue said "this genre" and the category had "SCIENCE" in quotation marks. They could have named people who had a single copy of a book published by a vanity press.
RTFC then.
I missed it because, yes, I completely forgot the category. Once the answer was revealed, I had a head slap moment because of the category name. Not once did I question it because "SCIENCE" was in quotation marks and it was a top row box.
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm
You have no excuse there - In Pokemon, only flying types can learn the move "Roost."
I also haven't played it in like 10 years.
I ask you, how was I supposed to know that when your avatar is a Pokemon?
Still unanswered.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:59 am

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 am
Still unanswered.
I use Dewott as my icon in a lot of places because it's something easily identifiable: I like otters, and I'm a bit of a casual gamer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 am

MattKnowles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm
Also "Heinlein" is Pavlov for Science Fiction. He wrote "Starship Troopers", "The Pupper Masters", and "Stranger in a Strange Land".
Heinlein was what sealed it for me. I'm not really into sci-fi much, but he is one of the genre's towering figures.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], heppm01, Jeff-thecdboy, StevenH, Volante and 15 guests